Deleting old uploaded file attachments

MtB

Featured Posts

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm. I bin getting the "22.86mb" error since about 8pm last night. Maybe there is something else needs doing that I haven't done. Like signing out and back in agin perhaps. I just leave the komputa on and signed in all the time. Do you turn yours off?

No.I don't log off or turn my machine off. Perhaps its cos you have so many?

38 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I didn't even realise I had an attachments folder!

Do you run out of space on number of attachments or on total size of those attachments.

Not as daft a question as it sounds, as with private messages, at least, it used to be the former, (and may well still be).

Edit as Already answered

There is also a file limit size on files uploaded to a single post.

One of the reasons I had to re-size the entries for the photo comp.

Edited by MJG
Already answered

Mr Rusty beat me to it with the screen shots but this one will show you the attachment quota. 

I love seeing the photos in the older posts of peoples boats and stuff and I always saddens me when you open a thread and all you see are photo bucket messages telling you the photo is no longer available. 

I get rid of all the nonsense stuff and most off the less pertinent stuff pretty quickly some stuff I leave a little longer but it will go as well the stuff that is relevant to the canals I will leave for posterity.

If I want something gone fast then I sign out and back in again and it's gone when I sign back in even if that is just a few mins. Knowing me I prolly also clear my cookies. 

Cl32xwnTSm664kdaPcVCTw.jpg

Edited by Tumshie

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Mr Rusty beat me to it with the screen shots but this one will show you the attachment quota. 

I love seeing the photos in the older posts of peoples boats and stuff and I always saddens me when you open a thread and all you see are photo bucket messages telling you the photo is no longer available. 

I get rid of all the nonsense stuff and most off the less pertinent stuff pretty quickly some stuff I leave a little longer but it will go as well the stuff that is relevant to the canals I will leave for posterity.

If I want something gone fast then I sign out and back in again and it's gone when I sign back in even if that is just a few mins. 

Cl32xwnTSm664kdaPcVCTw.jpg

Hey,is that your selfie pic?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Hey,is that your selfie pic?

Yes I didn't want to delete it too quickly as some still seemed to be enjoying it. :giggles:

ETA - Oh you mean the funny monkey one - right. :blush:

Edited by Tumshie

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, that's 40Mb deleted & shot off into the ether leaving several 100 meaningless threads - progress I guess.

To be fair there are a load of meaning less threads form before when aggregated third party photo hosting sites were used. I like this way much better but I do wish we had more room (which I wouldn't fill with drivel - I promise). 

27 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yes So do I, especially photos related to historical topics. The forum will become a less useful reference base if data is deleted because of the poster's attatchment file being full. Last year I posted a series of photos and drawings of the Bed/Setee unit I built in Helvetia, because I was receiving regular requests for the details. These take up quite a lot of space, but now risk being deleted because the file is becoming overloaded.

But then it is just a reflection of how less useful the forum seems to be these days, It increasingly seems to be coming a vehicle for the same few people to excercise their predjudiced views on anything other than boats and canals, and arguing with each other. If anything it is these posts which should be space regulated.

Edited by David Schweizer

I would be quite happy for my posts to be deleted from the server after a month. Perhaps those that want more room on the broom for their photos could pay more for that privilege......runs for cover and hides under the duvet!

ETA,or upload smaller attachments

Edited by rusty69

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

But then it is just a reflection of how less useful the forum seems to be these days,

I suspect it actually has to do with running costs - I much prefer that the site can 'host' its own media but cloud storage is not free. Of all the forums I've visited, this one has by far the best interface and ease of use. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes So do I, especially photos related to historical topics. The forum will become a less useful reference base if data is deleted because of the poster's attatchment file being full. Last year I posted a series of photos and drawings of the Bed/Setee unit I built in Helvetia, because I was receiving regular requests for the details. These take up quite a lot of space, but now risk being deleted because the file is becoming overloaded.

But then it is just a reflection of how less useful the forum seems to be these days, It increasingly seems to be coming a vehicle for the same few people to excercise their predjudiced views on anything other than boats and canals, and arguing with each other. If anything it is these posts which should be space regulated.

They will only be deleted if you delete them though David. You get a warning when you hit your limit and then you can choose what to delete. 

I post a lot of pictures but so far I am on 56% of my quota it transpires so I reckon you will have loads more quota to play with. I've also notice that my oldest pic shows as June 2015. Quite where any pics between 2006 (when I joined) and 2015 are hosted goodness only knows.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

They will only be deleted if you delete them though David. You get a warning when you hit your limit and then you can choose what to delete. 

I post a lot of pictures but so far I am on 56% of my quota it transpires so I reckon you will have loads more quota to play with. I've also notice that my oldest pic shows as June 2015. Quite where any pics between 2006 (when I joined) and 2015 are hosted goodness only knows.

That is a good point - and you choose which photos to delete so you can prioritise witch one you leave on the site. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I've made over 9000 posts,each has a tiny picture of snoopy on.......that must take up loads of server space. Gawd knows how much room the 30K brigade are consuming:giggles:

And all those emojis - they're pictures.

!!!OMG - should I stop hugging people!!!

:giggles::hug:

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Notwithstanding the total limit I recently discovered and have now fixed, can anyone suggest why I can STILL not upload photos now there is space in my Attachments folder?

Is it correctly calibrated? :lol:

The deletion appears to be 'instant' (for me) I was getting a message could not post a 292kb picture but have now posted a 3+ Mb without problems.

Croatian De-Registration.pdf

And, now deleted it and then clicked on the link and its says "cannot be found"

(although the blue 'link' stays in the post)

Edited by Alan de Enfield