boat project

johnlondres

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, johnlondres said:

Thanks Dave and dmr

So would a 4 yr old boat be considered old??

I would question was why a 4 year old boat was a 'internal wreck' that needed re-fitting, and, why it needed a new engine ?

Is it a 'sunk & recovered' or a 'fire damaged' boat ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, johnlondres said:

Thanks Dave and dmr

So would a 4 yr old boat be considered old??

A four year old is almost new so should be in very good condition. If its not then you need to find out why. Sinking or fire are the most likely explanations. But if its really only four years old then stripping out a nearly new fit-out to replace with your own version might not be the best investment. I think you need to tell us more if you want more specific advice.

.............Dave.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well,  by the time its sorted it could well be seven years old.

.......... incoming.............................

Don't be shy, john..............

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/ht-fabrications-60-widebeam/590193

Aaahh methinks you have spotted it?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Aaahh methinks you have spotted it?

If that really is the boat the OP is interested in - £29 grand for boat + new engine + redo / finish fit out - is that really such a bargain after all? I mean it might not be horribly expensive but still.  

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Now, that looks good.Think I will go have a look!

That's it, you just sent the OP into a state of panic :rolleyes:

There are dozens of similar boats dotted around the system.

No one without experience realises the complexity and time required to fit out a boat "several years" being the norm.

Starry eyed buyers slowly get disheartened and eventually they fade away and the half-built boat lies in some dusty back-water.

It doesn't explain why the engine needs replacing ?

JohnLondres - One other thing to be aware of it the legal requirement of the Recreational Craft Directive applicable to any boats built after 1994. Without the RCD certification and paperwork it is illegal for it to be sold before 5 years after its completion.

Part completed boats are included.

The seller (not the broker) must provide the original Hull RCD certificate from the hull builder, and RCD certification for any additions they have done (Gas, electrics, etc etc), up to the stage in which it is being sold.

TREAD CAREFULLY.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are dozens of similar boats dotted around the system.

No one without experience realises the complexity and time required to fit out a boat "several years" being the norm.

Starry eyed buyers slowly get disheartened and eventually they fade away and the half-built boat lies in some dusty back-water.

That is very true.If I had known at the time, I wouldn't have bought our one.Then again,i'm glad we bought our one:)

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

and here was me thinking he could fit my little job in between his main workload, at least I thought it was a nice little job! 

? Oooh - have you got a 'new project' now.  :captain: Are you moving 'house'?  ?

27 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

? Oooh - have you got a 'new project' now.  :captain: Are you moving 'house'?  ?

Unfortunately not, but whenever I have a viewer, I have to get sorted pdq, and as I have to select from what is available at the time, my researches cover different styles, prices and limitations. I really do not want a project, but I don't mind a few days work.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Unfortunately not, but whenever I have a viewer, I have to get sorted pdq, and as I have to select from what is available at the time. My researches cover different styles, prices and limitations. 

I live in hope for you. 

That must be quite worrying actually, the fact that between selling and buying you have to move so fast. 

That does look like a sort of bargain (compared with new sailaway prices) though has the disadvantages that its lined in Cellotex whilst most buyers (not all) would really want sprayfoam. If the engine can be fixed then its even better value. Essentially the op gets an almost new shell without taking the full new boat hit.

..............Dave

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would question was why a 4 year old boat was a 'internal wreck' that needed re-fitting, and, why it needed a new engine ?

Is it a 'sunk & recovered' or a 'fire damaged' boat ?

My thoughts too.   There may be a sound explanation, for the state it is in,[last owner lost interest,run out of money,etc]  But needing a new engine?

It could I suppose have been fitted with used engine when built,but at four years old,I don't think this will have been allowed.

Some research I think needs to be done before proceeding to having a survey done.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

That does look like a sort of bargain (compared with new sailaway prices) though has the disadvantages that its lined in Cellotex whilst most buyers (not all) would really want sprayfoam. If the engine can be fixed then its even better value. Essentially the op gets an almost new shell without taking the full new boat hit.

..............Dave

I'll be honest, that would give me "heart - sinking" feeling every day I saw it, each to their own, its a lotta lotta work.

I'd want to remove all the lining, including deckhead [ceiling] to fill the gaps with foam to ensure the thermal break works, and is it good thick Celotex, or the thin stuff? The roof rib [I'm no expert btw] may need foam injected, I think,  and I'd need to inspect the wiring. I quite like kitchen, such as it is :) 

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'll be honest, that would give me "heart - sinking" feeling every day I saw it, each to their own, its a lotta lotta work.

Some people get a lot of pleasure out of DIY projects. I thought seriously about it and am still slightly sad that I don't have the satisfaction of fitting out my own boat. However, we had several extra years of great boating rather than DIY and I have to admit I would have made a lot of mistakes, and the boat we have (fitted out by the previous owner) is better than what I would have produced. The previous owners had a fair bit of previous boat fitting experience whilst I only had house DIY skills. 

I am still amazed at how long some repairs and small fit out modifications can take.

Still, most widebeams are only floating flats rather than boaty boats so domestic DIY skills are probably fine ?.

..............Dave

2 hours ago, johnlondres said:

Bengo....advice taken I would not be intending to live on it in a dry dock......maybe in another city whilst it's being refitted.

Boats are not normally dry docked for refitting, it costs an arm and a leg. Normally dry docking is just for work on the hull that cant be done in the water. You may be better to look at a new sailaway because what you are proposing will cost just as much as a new boat, be loads of hassle and still an old boat when its finished

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

My thoughts too.   There may be a sound explanation, for the state it is in,[last owner lost interest,run out of money,etc]  But needing a new engine?

It could I suppose have been fitted with used engine when built,but at four years old,I don't think this will have been allowed.

Some research I think needs to be done before proceeding to having a survey done.

I wonder if it has a RCD its less than 5 years old

Edited by ditchcrawler
spilling

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder if it has a RCD its less than 5 years old

If it doesn't have the RCD paperwork for the work to date the vendor has already comitted an office by offering the boat for sale (whether or not it sells).

The buyer doesn't actually need the RCD paperwork - there is no legal requirement to have this once a boat has been sold for the first time.  Although not having RCD paperwork may put off some buyers when the boat is sold subsequently.

7 hours ago, dmr said:

I am still amazed at how long some repairs and small fit out modifications can take.

And by way of illustration, I gave one of my boats to a midlands yard in May this year with a view to getting the old vintage engine (now rebuilt) installed in time for Braunston Vintage boat rally at the end of June. This date was roundly missed so we aimed to get it done for Alvecote Rally in September. 

I collected the boat from the yard yesterday, still not really finished. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And by way of illustration, I gave one of my boats to a midlands yard in May this year with a view to getting the old vintage engine (now rebuilt) installed in time for Braunston Vintage boat rally at the end of June. This date was roundly missed so we aimed to get it done for Alvecote Rally in September. 

I collected the boat from the yard yesterday, still not really finished. 

Buts that's giving the work to a boatyard, so once your back is turned they get on with somebody else's job instead (either an easier job or for a customer who shouts at them). My concern is that when I do a job myself, and devote all of my effort to it (distractions excepted) that it still takes five times as long as I expected.

At least you should be ready for the 2019 events ?.  I think you should come up to the Rochdale, with the exception of a very neglected wooden icebreaker just outside Hebden Bridge there are No interesting old boats at all on this canal.

..............Dave

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

Buts that's giving the work to a boatyard, so once your back is turned they get on with somebody else's job instead (either an easier job or for a customer who shouts at them). My concern is that when I do a job myself, and devote all of my effort to it (distractions excepted) that it still takes five times as long as I expected.

At least you should be ready for the 2019 events ?.  I think you should come up to the Rochdale, with the exception of a very neglected wooden icebreaker just outside Hebden Bridge there are No interesting old boats at all on this canal.

..............Dave

I had a look and the best route up seems to be via the river Soar and the Trent. A bit further but avoids the 3,000 locks the Manc. way. Don't think I'll do it in winter, wait for Spring...

Are you staying up there for summer?