boat project

johnlondres

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You've missed Madeley then:

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/madeley

Ah   I think I saw that (from a distance)  moored in Hebden when I took the dog down to the park a few days ago, but it wasn't there a month or so ago when we moored in Hebden. Will be down there in a couple of days.

..............Dave

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If that's the local pair I am thinking of, we crossed them last year (on the Rochdale 9) after Marple lock 16 blew.

They were very pleased about the extended return trip they had to take ...  

I have never heard so many "F's" in one sentence before.  I didn't think there was a single F in CRT before then :D

Well unless CaRT dredge the top lock at Rochdale and the lock above the "Failsworth wide" I expect there will be a lot more "boaters language" next year.

and opposite "Tod Marina" is not too clever either.

................Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

opposite "Tod Marina" is not too clever either.

Yeah, that's my fault.  I breasted up to "Tony from Tod" for a barbeque earlier this year, and had to power dredge through about three feet of silt to get in. It has to go somewhere! 

Tell him we said "Hi" next time you're in the Golden Lion! 

20 hours ago, johnlondres said:

That's useful info and would undoubtedly save money. Would a marine mechanic fitter be able to do that. I wouldn't be able.

Yes but he or she are going to charge you at least £30 an hour so cost it out first or get a fixed price if you can.  Marine mechanics who will do this are quite scarce.  There is easier money in servicing.  Much better to learn to do the work yourself.  Get a basic guide to engine maintenance and learn that. Plenty of people will advise and you will know your engine much better when it is finished.

You write of being in a dry9 dock.  These are usually charged by the day- £70 upwards and the owners expect a pretty frequent changeover, not someone fitting out for 3 years.  A hardstanding berth would be better but these are scarce. Fitting out in the water, after you have dealt with any hull snags, is also entirely practicable.  In any event plenty of power is essential and drinking water is handy.

Good Luck.

N

On 02/12/2018 at 22:02, zenataomm said:

Nobody seems to have mentioned it ….. so I shall.

Fitting out a boat while it is out of the water is not a good idea.

The hull will flex, it might be only a fraction of an inch, however once back in the water and it will unflex itself and you will discover doors that won't close or maybe even open.

The same goes with cupboards, drawers and other moving items.

I don't buy this.  A decent boat won't flex much between in the water and out, and anyway the boat changes its dimension depending on which side is being heated by the sun and how much wood you have propped up against the cabin wall, so you need to do your fitout in such a way as to allow for movement.  The guy next to me was a carpenter-type by trade but still got caught out when all his T&G ceiling moved apart (lengthwise) leaving gaps when the weather/season changed. My builder was doing a beautiful fitout out of the water of another boat.

31 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I don't buy this.  A decent boat won't flex much between in the water and out, and anyway the boat changes its dimension depending on which side is being heated by the sun and how much wood you have propped up against the cabin wall, so you need to do your fitout in such a way as to allow for movement.  The guy next to me was a carpenter-type by trade but still got caught out when all his T&G ceiling moved apart (lengthwise) leaving gaps when the weather/season changed. My builder was doing a beautiful fitout out of the water of another boat.

Our boat certainly moves a bit in the drydock even though its quite well supported on the bostocks. You are correct that it moves much more with the morning sun on one side after a cold night, but I suppose there is an argument that removing one source of movement has to be a good thing. I believe T&G ceilings are a bit notorious for movement. I think the big argument for an in the water fitout is not having to carry everything up a ladder.

..............Dave