boat project

johnlondres

Featured Posts

Nobody seems to have mentioned it ….. so I shall.

Fitting out a boat while it is out of the water is not a good idea.

The hull will flex, it might be only a fraction of an inch, however once back in the water and it will unflex itself and you will discover doors that won't close or maybe even open.

The same goes with cupboards, drawers and other moving items.

Zen

A very useful pointer..... so it's out of the water for structural, paint, blacking and engine issues but back into the water for internal refit. It makes a lot of sense it's what big shipbuilders do.

So back to an earlier post about Marina's not liking boat refitting and actively discouraging or prohibiting it is there such a thing as a wet dock?? where the secondary fit out could take place.

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Give us a shout on your way past (unless we are 'at sea') we can go for a Sausage Egg & Chips at the 'Malt Shovel'.

Ok will do!!

Sausages worry me somewhat though. Did you see that documentary about how they gets maded?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
missing words

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok will do!!

Sausages worry me somewhat though. Did you see that documentary about how they gets maded?

Well you can have 'am, egg & chips, but for £2.75 whose complaining (Sunday lunch - the works - £4.50)

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm guessing that isn't the one at Elland Bridge?

No - but sworn to secrecy, cannot reveal the location.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I had a look and the best route up seems to be via the river Soar and the Trent. A bit further but avoids the 3,000 locks the Manc. way. Don't think I'll do it in winter, wait for Spring...

Are you staying up there for summer?

The Soar is a very nice river.

Plan to stay up here till maybe April or May then do a trip down to the K&A and Bristol, but very likely to return here next winter.

I have never worked out the number of locks involved in a North-South trip, such as Bristol to Liverpool,  but I rather think its a big number whatever route is chosen.

.............Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have never worked out the number of locks involved in a North-South trip, such as Bristol to Liverpool,

383 miles

242 locks

70 moveable bridges

8 tunnels

Approx 28 days travelling.

London bridge to York marina

320 miles

280 Locks

13 moveable bridges

12 Tunnels

Approx 26 days travelling

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

383 miles

242 locks

70 moveable bridges

8 tunnels

16 days if you transit Bristol to Sharpness.  28 days if you go around up the K&A, but a week of that is in tickover so the indigenous population don't shout at you ...

48 minutes ago, dmr said:

?  I think you should come up to the Rochdale, with the exception of a very neglected wooden icebreaker just outside Hebden Bridge there are No interesting old boats at all on this canal.

The HNBC are planning an historic boat  gathering at Hebden Bridge from 24th to 27th of May next year, so I would expect there will be a great deal more there then!

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

383 miles

242 locks

70 moveable bridges

8 tunnels

We've done this trip many times, in fact I sometimes describe us as bridgehoppers hopping between Bristol and Liverpool.

So, whilst you have CanalPlan going what are the options for the various routes?

I feel the Shroppie has a lot less locks than the T&M, but the T&M has the better pubs.

The Shroppie route sort of dictates doing Brum which involves a lot of locks whilst the T&M could be done via the Coventry and North Oxford.

And where does Mikes idea of the Soar figure in this?

And if our proposed Northern destination was Hebden Bridge rather than Liverpool then the Trent could also be an option.

...........Dave

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

... we would only have to move 5 miles!

Nah, I'm already planning my return here next winter after visiting the kids in Bristol, more than 5 miles!.

..............Dave

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The HNBC are planning an historic boat  gathering at Hebden Bridge from 24th to 27th of May next year, so I would expect there will be a great deal more there then!

That's interesting, I would be almost tempted to stay for that, but as we are spending the winter CCing over an 8 mile stretch of canal I think CaRT will be wanting us to move by then.

I assume this event will include full length boats of 3 foot or more draft? If so I hope that HNBC are seriously talking to CaRT as some dredging will be essential in a few places.

.................Dave

Just now, dmr said:

That's interesting, I would be almost tempted to stay for that, but as we are spending the winter CCing over an 8 mile stretch of canal I think CaRT will be wanting us to move by then.

I assume this event will include full length boats of 3 foot or more draft? If so I hope that HNBC are seriously talking to CaRT as some dredging will be essential in a few places.

.................Dave

Just add ballast Dave - you can scrape the bottom deep enough on Vox for the oldies to get through!

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

... we would only have to move 5 miles!

and in fact are currently at Stubbings Wharf so Hebden is just a few hundred yards away....will tackle that if it ever stops raining.

.............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

and in fact are currently at Stubbings Wharf so Hebden is just a few hundred yards away....will tackle that if it ever stops raining.

.............Dave

Dont mention the rain... We are back on the L&L, which is once again shut for "water resource" issues - despite being about 4" over weir level everywhere we go ...

Edited by TheBiscuits

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just add ballast Dave - you can scrape the bottom deep enough on Vox for the oldies to get through!

We're about 30 inches and there were a couple of spots where we had to do some serious ploughing to get here. I believe there are a pair of working boats from Portland basin that venture up the Rochdale, I think they might be wooden, but they must be shallower than us or have super human powers.

...............Dave 

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I had a little look at the website but as it's still early only the dates are listed - Is this an open event that a none boat owner could attend? 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

I had a little look at the website but as it's still early only the dates are listed - Is this an open event that a none boat owner could attend? 

There are no basins or private areas as Hebden so this must be a public event on the towpath. Maybe they will have a beer tent in the park??? We've been to a couple of historic boat events and found them totally open to everybody, though some historic boaters only actually speak to other historic boaters ?

................Dave

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

We're about 30 inches and there were a couple of spots where we had to do some serious ploughing to get here. I believe there are a pair of working boats from Portland basin that venture up the Rochdale, I think they might be wooden, but they must be shallower than us or have super human powers.

...............Dave 

If that's the local pair I am thinking of, we crossed them last year (on the Rochdale 9) after Marple lock 16 blew.

They were very pleased about the extended return trip they had to take ...  

I have never heard so many "F's" in one sentence before.  I didn't think there was a single F in CRT before then :D