Getting our radiators working

jetzi

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Success! I've wired up the Eberspacher, connected it's exhaust to a skin fitting, and it's whirred into life. The draw on the battery does seem quite high so I'm running the engine as well.

The radiator in the bedroom has gotten nice and toasty, but the towel rail in the bathroom is still cold. Both the inlet and outlet taps are wide open and warm, but the rad itself is cold. I've also bled all the air out of it and I've turned off the rad in the bedroom to increase the pressure through it, but no dice so far.

It could be that one of the taps is faulty and not opening on the inside, or perhaps there's a blockage.

Definitely progress though!

Great - well done.

Depending on the type of valve on the radiator it may be 'stuck'.

The 'adjustable temperature' ones are prone to it, a gentle tap may do it, or you may need to disassemble.

But now you know the system is working.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Great - well done.

The 'adjustable temperature' ones are prone to it, a gentle tap may do it, or you may need to disassemble.

But now you know the system is working.

At home I went to all the trouble of taking a thermostatic valve off a radiator that wasn't getting warm, this was after beating it half to death with a hammer on the outside, it was fine but nothing was getting through the lockshield valve at the other end. Opened and closed it a couple of time and its fine.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'adjustable temperature' ones are prone to it

We had exactly that on a rad at home. 

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

nothing was getting through the lockshield valve at the other end. Opened and closed it a couple of time and its fine.

I had this too, on a different rad. I suddenly heard the water moving through the rad after a few open/close operations. 

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

Success! I've wired up the Eberspacher, connected it's exhaust to a skin fitting, and it's whirred into life. The draw on the battery does seem quite high so I'm running the engine as well.

The radiator in the bedroom has gotten nice and toasty, but the towel rail in the bathroom is still cold. Both the inlet and outlet taps are wide open and warm, but the rad itself is cold. I've also bled all the air out of it and I've turned off the rad in the bedroom to increase the pressure through it, but no dice so far.

It could be that one of the taps is faulty and not opening on the inside, or perhaps there's a blockage.

Definitely progress though!

Have you changed the liquid in the heating system, if the antifreeze is not mixed enough you can get this with a rad just hot along the bottom.

11 hours ago, rusty69 said:

We lived 18 years without a separate stove. It is nice to have, but certainly not essential.The trouble with our 70 ft boat,is that the stove at the front doesn't really warm the bedroom. Having said that,we don't have an eberthingy.If we had, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the second stove.

Have you considered a stove-powered fan? I hear they can have ecological benefits ...

Have you considered a stove-powered fan? I hear they can have ecological benefits ...

Is there an echo in here?

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is there an echo in here?

See #46

See #46

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope - just the 'standard' marine modified automotive variant.

I have used Webastos and Eberspachers in the same way without problems - My thinking is that continuous use will increase the temperatures and help reduce carbon build up (which is what require removing from the combustion chamber in a service)

Totaly agree, My 10 year old Webasto Top C has never been serviced and runs as it did when new. I think continuous running keeps the combustion chamber clean especially now we have low sulphur diesel.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Totaly agree, My 10 year old Webasto Top C has never been serviced and runs as it did when new. I think continuous running keeps the combustion chamber clean especially now we have low sulphur diesel.

Thanks for that - I was beginning to think I was in a separate reality to everyone else.

At last - I am not alone !!!