Bill of purchase and CRT transfer of ownership form - both necessary?

leafofgrass

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm a really good shot, I'll defend your honour Mr Rusty - But I'm not shooting Bickies cos he's not such a bad 'un. 

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I ain't sexist - I'd shoot a woman who drew on me just as fast as a fella

Its Biscassidy and the Tumshie kid! 

Back to topic, if the boats been at a yard for a few months, number and name not been changed, it's unlikely to have been nicked or the owner would surely have found it by now. It appears to be a relatively cheap boat, so may well have been a fairly informal purchase by the current owner. If I sold mine, I wouldn't bother too much about paperwork either, though I can't see why I'd object tobsigning anything as long as I was sure it didn't tie me to anything in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Back to topic, if the boats been at a yard for a few months, number and name not been changed, it's unlikely to have been nicked or the owner would surely have found it by now. It appears to be a relatively cheap boat, so may well have been a fairly informal purchase by the current owner. If I sold mine, I wouldn't bother too much about paperwork either, though I can't see why I'd object tobsigning anything as long as I was sure it didn't tie me to anything in the future. 

Maybe someone with an interest is overseas for the winter perhaps, or maybe its all above board.

On 02/12/2018 at 17:58, leafofgrass said:

Nice advice, thanks. The guy has just owned it a couple of months, and it has been at a hard standing, apparently (will confirm that with marina tomorrow), so was never licensed in any way, neither does he have a receipt of purchase ('can't find it').

You have a fair point, thanks. If we assume the boat was purchased while at a hard standing, then from what I understand the new owner could have still registered it with the CRT without paying for a license. But is it actually their responsibility to do so after purchasing? 

Is the previous owner contactable?

Who put it on hardstanding & why & how long has it been out of the water?

Bod

Update on the interested: boat was apparently sold to another buyer over the weekend who was 'less hassle than me', and seller didn't see it as necessary to update me... Am not particularly fazed by it, but it's also funny to think how the real world doesn't stop turning while we dissect every possible scenario online... Thanks to those who chipped in with advice :)

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, leafofgrass said:

Update on the interested: boat was apparently sold to another buyer over the weekend who was 'less hassle than me', and seller didn't see it as necessary to update me... Am not particularly fazed by it, but it's also funny to think how the real world doesn't stop turning while we dissect every possible scenario online... Thanks to those who chipped in with advice :)

I'm sorry you didn't get your boat, but if you're not too fazed then it's probably something to write up to good experience. I wish you well with your hunt and I hope you'll pop back now and again (if not regularly) to let us know how things are going. 

Tumsh. :)

2 hours ago, leafofgrass said:

Sorry you didn't get that boat.

Just had a look on Apollo Duck,and found over 1000 boats for sale.  Quite a few around the price of the one you missed out on.

Hope you don't feel annoyed with us for urging caution,but having personally been a---holed  on buying a previous boat, and I suspect others on this forum too,then I hope you understand.

Please keep us informed of your search.

3 hours ago, leafofgrass said:

Update on the interested: boat was apparently sold to another buyer over the weekend who was 'less hassle than me', and seller didn't see it as necessary to update me... 

Translation:

What the seller is really saying to you is this... in as many words...

"Ok you're asking difficult questions I can't answer, and my failure to come up with proper viable answers shows up that I've told you a few porkies earlier, probably to do with my doubtful title to the boat. Now I'm gonna lose a whole ton of face and look like a prize liar and a fraudster if I just admit this to you, so I'm gonna tell you yet another lie and say I've sold it to someone else, to get you off my back."

Or something like that. Consider yourself very wise to have asked ALL the right questions and smoked out a possibly (no, probably) really dodgy purchase. You might even have lost ALL your money when the real owner comes out of the woodwork and says hey what are you doing on my boat? GIVE IT BACK

give yourself a BIG pat on the back.

• Greenie 2

On 02/12/2018 at 08:47, aracer said:

It is all a bit vague with boat ownership - I bought my boat through a broker so had a reasonable level of security, however I paid lots of money and took it away without ever seeing any proof of ownership (that for what it's worth came through the post later and the only proof I have of ownership is the receipts for what I paid and the contract we made).

Twas always thus. Hence why the chancers steal boats of medium value and try to flog them off.

If I were buying this boat I would want some solid proof of identity and a way of finding the guy in future. What is to say that he has not simply "borrowed" it from the hard standing, had it launched and flogged it?

Does the yard where it was know any solid facts about the boat?

There are plenty of fish in the sea, and lots of annaly orientated boat sellers too.  Its the season for it.

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

If I were buying this boat I would want some solid proof of identity and a way of finding the guy in future.

Exactly.

And one (almost) foolproof way of doing this is to get the seller to give you their land-based address and check it against who is the owner on the Land Registry. If the names match then you are probably safe. To get fully safe ask the seller to show you proof of identity like their photo driving licence bearing a photo of them and stating the address they gave you. 

Then you know where to find them should it not be their boat, AND you know they have an asset to go after should you have to sue them and you win your case. 

Assessing the seller is possibly more important than assessing the boat.  If they have no house and don't live on the boat, be VERY suspicious. 

• Greenie 1

• 4 months later...
On 02/12/2018 at 09:09, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, can we stamp that one out right now?

How exactly, does buying through a broker give you ANY more security than if you run the same checks yourself that the broker does?

or he doesn't, and you do................ then you run like hell ................

Edited by LadyG