Ribble Link Query

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, davidb said:

Just to give you an idea what you are up against, here are two videos I took in 2010:

Leaving Tarleton

Looks like very slow progress. Had they been let out a little too early before the tide turned, or is that typical?

It does remind me why we went for the bigger 43hp engine. 

40 minutes ago, MHS said:

Looks like very slow progress. Had they been let out a little too early before the tide turned, or is that typical?

It does remind me why we went for the bigger 43hp engine. 

That's the norm; the first mile or so is always a slog until the river widens and the tide slackens after the boatyard.

16 hours ago, davidb said:

Just to give you an idea what you are up against, here are two videos I took in 2010:

Leaving Tarleton

I wonder if they are aware of the differences between a buoyancy aid and a lifejacket ?

Those 'orange ones' with the big collars are 'killers' and force the unconscious body to float face down in the water.

Lifejackets actually turn the body over to float face-up.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder if they are aware of the differences between a buoyancy aid and a lifejacket ?

Those 'orange ones' with the big collars are 'killers' and force the unconscious body to float face down in the water.

Lifejackets actually turn the body over to float face-up.

The skippers guide actually says that lifejackets are mandatory for people and animals.  I guess CRT do not distinguish between buoyancy aids and lifejackets in practice, or else surely they should not have let them go.   For animals it is probably a good job, as can you actually get lifejackets, rather than buoyancy aids, for animals.

I can’t understand why VHF is not mandatory though, seems a classic case where you want everyone in communication.

On the actual trip, I presume on the way up you hit high water around the time that you join the Ribble?

28 minutes ago, Trento said:

Having made this trip several times, the only advice I can give is.......Don't miss time the turn into Savick Brook.... When your near  there you will understand why..?

It’s amusing watching a narrowboat head out to the Irish Sea....I was about to call the coastguard when they eventually realised their mistake. 

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s amusing watching a narrowboat head out to the Irish Sea....I was about to call the coastguard when they eventually realised their mistake. 

Are you mixing up Astland Perch with Savick Brook? 

You want to head for Ireland when you come out of Savick unless you want to go to Preston  docks. 

Thanks for the video's davidb. That certainly looks a strong current.

To those who have done them how does the turn into Savick Brook compare to the likes of West Stockwith, Keadby and Selby? I've done those three and didn't find them too bad.

Having done those also,  I think the Savick Brook turn IN, to be the most difficult, not impossible, not dangerous but one requiring your full attention. Remember, dozens of boats do it year in year out without incident, just pay attention and you will be fine.

Providing. You don't cut the corner at the Astland Perch and go over the training wall on the inside (both going and leaving) IIts a doddle.

Merry Christmas

???

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you mixing up Astland Perch with Savick Brook? 

You want to head for Ireland when you come out of Savick unless you want to go to Preston  docks. 

Well that’s a massive nav error on my part!! Whoops! Yes I am.....the boat we were with didn’t turn at asland lamp....

I thought the turn into Savick wasn’t tricky....just don’t cut the corner....something I try to apply to all such inlets.....it’s certainly easier than say getting into West Stockwith or Keadby 

28 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for the video's davidb. That certainly looks a strong current.

To those who have done them how does the turn into Savick Brook compare to the likes of West Stockwith, Keadby and Selby? I've done those three and didn't find them too bad.

The turn into Savick Brook is easier to navigate than the likes of Keadby because you have a wider entrance to aim at as the lock is not on the junction. The tidal flow can be more significant though at the Savick junction and push you into the sandbank if you try to cut the turn or slow down too much. Keep your speed up and begin your turn once you are adjacent to the entrance and you'll be fine.

• 4 months later...
On 24/12/2018 at 12:33, Trento said:

Having done those also,  I think the Savick Brook turn IN, to be the most difficult, not impossible, not dangerous but one requiring your full attention. Remember, dozens of boats do it year in year out without incident, just pay attention and you will be fine.

Providing. You don't cut the corner at the Astland Perch and go over the training wall on the inside (both going and leaving) IIts a doddle.

Merry Christmas

???

I've just booked up to head up to the Lancaster with my Dad on board and after reading all of the initial stuff I thought 'Blimey we'll be lucky to make it alive.....people talk of testing their engines.....Not sure running mine at half power up the canal would go down too well ?...then I went into ....'What the Hell' mode - meet all the requirements and go for it 42bhp must give me a chance.... I hope & then you think hang on - I've never turned on a tide before - fast flowing rivers but tide .....nope! ? Can't wait, and making sure I read everything - seems that the run up to the Lancaster is more of a concern.....unless you miss the turn & head for Dublin on the way back. I've made sure I'm on day 2 of a 4-day cycle to give me just a 1-nighter in Preston if required.

.....then I read all your advice!!?.....?.....what a way to go though! ?

I may be bringing a boat from the Lancaster daarnn saarfff sometime this summer depending on many things. What is the opinion of those who have done it for a small narrowboat. Myself and my mate are both experienced long time boaters. We have extensive tidal river experience and coastal experience. However that means we know the risks and take care and neither of us have done the ribble link so green as grass where that water is concerned. The boat we may well be moving is a steel 41 foot narrowboat in good order with a sound 28 hp three pot kubota. Before making the trip we would be changing all engine cooling hoses and drive belts, filters etc etc as a matter of course. Will this hp be up to it being its such a small boat? Its not a problem throwing it on a trailer and having it brought by road but what do the panel think the boat will be like doing the link?

Taa

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I may be bringing a boat from the Lancaster daarnn saarfff sometime this summer depending on many things. What is the opinion of those who have done it for a small narrowboat. Myself and my mate are both experienced long time boaters. We have extensive tidal river experience and coastal experience. However that means we know the risks and take care and neither of us have done the ribble link so green as grass where that water is concerned. The boat we may well be moving is a steel 41 foot narrowboat in good order with a sound 28 hp three pot kubota. Before making the trip we would be changing all engine cooling hoses and drive belts, filters etc etc as a matter of course. Will this hp be up to it being its such a small boat? Its not a problem throwing it on a trailer and having it brought by road but what do the panel think the boat will be like doing the link?

Taa

Thats an ideal engine for that sized boat, do you know anything about the prop size and front end style(blunt or sleek?), and has the boat always been on the Lancy(If it got there by the Link, it will probably be Ok to leave by it)?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Taa

Love the tag Mrsmelly....doywn South is not quite a description I'd apply to Leigh, Manchester or even Crewe!?....you be a prappah Northenr in my speak.....am sure others have done it in your size but have to admit I was worried at 59' & 42bhp....but then I'm a phased worrier.......but like you I know the power of the sea.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Thats an ideal engine for that sized boat, do you know anything about the prop size and front end style(blunt or sleek?), and has the boat always been on the Lancy(If it got there by the Link, it will probably be Ok to leave by it)?

Hi Dooooood. Its a David Piper iirc not sure er prop or how it got there but its been on the Lanc for years. Will find out :cheers:

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Just checked. Yes its a Piper. No idea about prop size and its been on the Lancy since new!!

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Just checked. Yes its a Piper. No idea about prop size and its been on the Lancy since new!!

I don't think you'll have a problem with that size engine and length, but if you do have reservations about the boat there is a chap who provides tows across with a lovely sea-going wooden boat and can be contacted through Mayor's Boatyard at Tarleton.

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having now done the up section, most worries were unnecessary. I wasn't 100% sure that running the engine flat out for two and a half hours would do it any good, but it performed perfectly, even though we didn't get to Savick Brook in time and had to proceed to Preston for the night. Having done that, I'd say it would be my preferred choice (if CRT gave you the option). The mooring was £10 on a pontoon (showers and WiFi) and then the following morning it is an easy run back on the ebbing tide to Savick where there is plenty of water to get up the brook, although you then have to wait for that day's boats coming up from Tarleton before you carry on under the Pipe bridge (which is clearly the limiting factor when going up the brook). Coming from Preston direction there is no issue with the sandbar at the entrance to Savick and since it was only about half an hour after high water there wasn't much of a flow either.

I'd be interested as to just how you measure a boat's draught since when we had our's blacked I measured at the skeg and it was 2'8", well above the 2'3" limit given in the Ribble Skippers guide. At the front of the boat however it is substantially less than this so I suppose that what you may need is an average of front to back since the boat would pivot on a central point if the skeg ran aground forcing the bow to go down, however it is done, at no point did we ground anywhere on the Savick Brook, but then having come down from Preston we had loads of water, even though it wasn't a spring tide (8.9 metres according to CRT, spring tide would have been 9.2metres).

All I have to do now is to get back later this month:unsure:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

On 03/06/2019 at 16:45, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Having now done the up section, most worries were unnecessary. I wasn't 100% sure that running the engine flat out for two and a half hours would do it any good, but it performed perfectly, even though we didn't get to Savick Brook in time and had to proceed to Preston for the night. Having done that, I'd say it would be my preferred choice (if CRT gave you the option). The mooring was £10 on a pontoon (showers and WiFi) and then the following morning it is an easy run back on the ebbing tide to Savick where there is plenty of water to get up the brook, although you then have to wait for that day's boats coming up from Tarleton before you carry on under the Pipe bridge (which is clearly the limiting factor when going up the brook). Coming from Preston direction there is no issue with the sandbar at the entrance to Savick and since it was only about half an hour after high water there wasn't much of a flow either.

I'd be interested as to just how you measure a boat's draught since when we had our's blacked I measured at the skeg and it was 2'8", well above the 2'3" limit given in the Ribble Skippers guide. At the front of the boat however it is substantially less than this so I suppose that what you may need is an average of front to back since the boat would pivot on a central point if the skeg ran aground forcing the bow to go down, however it is done, at no point did we ground anywhere on the Savick Brook, but then having come down from Preston we had loads of water, even though it wasn't a spring tide (8.9 metres according to CRT, spring tide would have been 9.2metres).

All I have to do now is to get back later this month:unsure:

??

Sadly due to my Dad's health I've had to cancel plans for the run up to the Lancaster & back, so near yet so far. Will be dropping him off in Leigh & then I'll head through Manchester, round & back down to Kidsgrove. Good luck on the way back & funnily enough an experienced Ribble runner said that she & her hubby hardly ever make the run up without heading into Preston .... just seems to be the norm ?

....sounds like a smoother run as well ??

14 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

funnily enough an experienced Ribble runner said that she & her hubby hardly ever make the run up without heading into Preston

Just as an interesting thought, you don't need to book the Ribble Link to go to Preston Marina.

The Ribble Link booking is technically to go up Savick Brook, not to drop Tarleton Lock and go down the Douglas and up the Ribble ...