Ribble Link Query

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

When we did the Ribble link in Copperkins several years ago there had been no indication form her years on canals and rivers that she wold overheat the way she did! We left Tarleton and the boat in front came to a halt with something round the prop fairly soon and we had to slow down behind it and as we were pushing the tide, it took a lot of power to get us going again. The engine started to overheat big time and we spent the journey with two of us hauling pails of river water in through the side hatch and throwing them over the skin tank. For the return journey, Iain connected the hose to a bathroom tap and we sprayed water on the skin tank for most of the journey. Iain steering had a sauna :-)  

We later had the skin tank investigated and it was found to have no baffles. The tank was extended and baffles installed and the boat never over heated again. 

It was fun when we came out onto the Ribble for the return journey. We were second last boat out and all the others were being swept backwards up towards Preston. By the correct use of acceleration and steering, Iain did a beautiful run out into the river and right hand turn with no backward movement at all. I and all those on board were impressed!

haggis

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are putting words into my typing.

Any boat, NB, WB or GRP should be allowed to do it if they can stem the tide and achieve the suggested 6mph.

Your comment,"... I wonder how many NBs can 'comfortably run at 6mph for several hours ? ..." rather suggested that you didn't think it was that many.

The problem is highlighted by the post above from someone who has done the Ribble Link, he had no overheating problems previously so how was he to know that he was going to get some on the trip? The main question isn't having the power to stem the tide, it is having the capacity to lose the additional heat that the engine is going to generate. There is an often read blog on which they installed a bigger engine in their boat with a bigger prop, specifically to cope better with river conditions. They could then flog into the current with no problem (clue there) what they then found was that the skin tank wasn't big enough to supply sufficient cooling to the larger engine.

Similar to Haggis's experience, we also found out the hard way when we were on the tidal Trent when our engine was overheating. The fitting of a new, larger skin tank plus changing the prop from 16 to an 18 inch seems to have cured the problem as since then we've done the tidal Thames from Limehouse upstream and the tidal Severn and both times the temperature stayed near to normal.

I hope I'm not tempting fate, because we are doing the Ribble next year!

I'm afraid it's probably something you can't really find out if there's a problem or not until you try it.

In case there is anyone else who was waiting for the passage dates for the Ribble Link in 2019 to be released, they are now available on the normal booking site, and I have booked ours.  I was initially surprised how few there are, but now I understand the tidal range limits it is obvious, so get in quick!

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for the alert. I didn't know the passages got booked up so quickly. I wanted to spend about 10 days on the Lancaster but the least I can get is 19 days. Ah well there are far worse places to hang around in ?.

I don’t believe they are booked up yet, just that there are limited days, as they only operate on tides between 8.6 and 9.6, that fall between certain hours.  I had not appreciated how few passages that boils down to.

On 17/12/2018 at 13:42, john6767 said:

In case there is anyone else who was waiting for the passage dates for the Ribble Link in 2019 to be released, they are now available on the normal booking site, and I have booked ours.  I was initially surprised how few there are, but now I understand the tidal range limits it is obvious, so get in quick!

Deleted.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

I've just booked ours for June 17th. I'm having trouble finding out time-frame window for the departure but hopefully I'll figure it out sometime beforehand ?.

Are there enough moorings to overnight at Tarleton the day before? If not then I presume there will be plenty of places to moor in the few miles before there.

Just now, Grassman said:

I've just booked ours for June 17th. I'm having trouble finding out time-frame window for the departure but hopefully I'll figure it out sometime beforehand ?.

Are there enough moorings to overnight at Tarleton the day before? If not then I presume there will be plenty of places to moor in the few miles before there.

The start time document (accessed on the same online page as the booking document) has not yet been updated to 2019 and still shows 2018 information. 

You should moor at Tarleton the night before where there is room, even breasting up if required.

2 minutes ago, Grassman said:

There are plenty of visitor moorings just through the swing bridge about half a mile or less from the lock. At the lock itself there is nowhere at all to moor, not even a lock landing. It is full of moored boats. So, at the appointed time you have to go down there and hover untill the lock and the lockie are ready for you.

3 hours ago, rgreg said:

The start time document (accessed on the same online page as the booking document) has not yet been updated to 2019 and still shows 2018 information. 

You should moor at Tarleton the night before where there is room, even breasting up if required.

If you use the link to the general information that is in the booking confirmation email then you will find the tide times for 2019 there.  This is the direct link to it https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/39486-ribble-link-passage-times-2019.pdf

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

If you use the link to the general information that is in the booking confirmation email then you will find the tide times for 2019 there.  This is the direct link to it https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/39486-ribble-link-passage-times-2019.pdf

So, as Grassman has booked he should have this within his confirmation. The general information on the web page is yet to be updated.

Thanks you all for your advice. I've received my confirmation but when I clicked on the 'here' to get my booking date and time the times were still the 2018 ones.

Obviously I don't need to know yet and it will be updated in due course. I was just curious to find out.

20 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Thanks you all for your advice. I've received my confirmation but when I clicked on the 'here' to get my booking date and time the times were still the 2018 ones.

Obviously I don't need to know yet and it will be updated in due course. I was just curious to find out.

Even the start times quoted can vary on the day. As long as you're in Tarleton the evening before, Harry Will advise you of the time to proceed to the lock in the morning. 

3 hours ago, rgreg said:

So, as Grassman has booked he should have this within his confirmation. The general information on the web page is yet to be updated.

Anyone can see the information, it is on the general Ribble Link page, it is just the link direct it the timings in the email is incorrect.

21 hours ago, Grassman said:

Hopefully you have found it by now, see the above comments, but if not the 17th June is 09:57 start.  So I guess you would want to be there the night before.

Edited by john6767

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This link may help.

Put in where you want and when you want (2019 tides are not yet updated)

https://tides4fishing.com/uk/england/preston

(Its on Preston at the moment)

Why not just use the one published by CRT, which as well as high tide time has the departure time.  The 2019 times ARE available from CRT, it is just one of the links in the booking confirmation email that is incorrect.

10 hours ago, rgreg said:

Even the start times quoted can vary on the day. As long as you're in Tarleton the evening before, Harry Will advise you of the time to proceed to the lock in the morning. 

And then change it on the day itself!

Edited by Mike Todd