Over Wintering

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I remember a posting from a boater saying how nice the weather was and wish they were boating but they were on their winter moorings at Llangollen until the end of the month. Once people pay they feel they have to stay.  I am with the Doc on this one

Totally agree. Once one has paid for a mooring one feels an irrational obligation to stay on it in order to get one's money's-worth. 

I have paid for a mooring in the past and barely spent ANY time on it, preferring to CM in and around the local area. 

OMG did I just say that!!!  

58 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I got an overstay after crt failed to process a mooring change. Both moorings were off towpath but online. They welcomed my move to continuous cruising requested i signed a cc declaration. I had to inform them that moving would involve a 13000 mile trip,  and cc ing would involve 26000 miles every fortnight. While they accepted this was possible they updated their records immediately.

I'm not sure that is "or longer as reasonable".  Did you not know you were going Down Under for months? :D

Going to aus for work every year paid for the mooring the licence and 3 months boating, but meant continuous cruising hard.

ludicrous that we could go to work in aus as a nurse and an administration officer on a casual basis for 8 months ( and theres the key) and earn more than if we had worked a year in uk.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally agree. Once one has paid for a mooring one feels an irrational obligation to stay on it in order to get one's money's-worth. 

I have paid for a mooring in the past and barely spent ANY time on it, preferring to CM in and around the local area. 

OMG did I just say that!!!  

When we were living aboard in the med, from Nov to March we were in "marina" mode and just didn't move the boat. It would take us 4 hours to get the boat ready for the sea so it just didn't happen for the odd nice weather days. On the cut we are never more than 5 mins work to cast off assuming that the water tank has water in it. Last winter we spent 3 weeks out of four on the boat based in the marina but each week went down to Butchers in Braunston and then stopped at one of the pubs in the area for 2-3 nights for a change of scenery. We returned to the Marina each week to i) have access to the car to go and do a big shop and ii) top up the batteries so not running the engine all hours. Cruising range was restricted by the various lock closures but  Napton was a good base for this as quite a bit of lock free cruising. Guess it all depends on where you are.

19 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Being boring and going back on topic, I cant understand why Jennifer has to stay in the marina for 3 months. Why not be based in the marina and go out boating for 3 or 4 days each week to explore local places then return to the marina when it rains?

Inland cruising made you go soft? :D

Or is it like me - age related? 

• Greenie 1

On 30/11/2018 at 18:22, ditchcrawler said:

They could get an overstay email if they don't when the checker logs them in the same place 3 times in a row when he walks round the marina

Is that really true.  CC’er or not I can’t see that you can get flagged for overstaying in a marina can you?

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes.  If you are logged in the same "place" for more than 14 days, that is a breach of the licence terms.

That may be / will be true as far as 'the computer says yes' but realistically when a 'uman bean gets involved it'll be sorted out.

The obvious answer is to actually do what C&RT request - which is to notify them if your 'circumstances change'.

I'll try and find the exact wording.

Edit to add :

This must be the bit I was thinking about - however it only applies to HMers not CCers.

3.4 You must tell us in writing if your Home Mooring changes or if you decide to no longer have a Home Mooring

Edited by Alan de Enfield

51 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Our first twenty years we very rarely tied up for the winter and at first we could jump from the boat and our knees would spring like car suspension. Now in our twenty ninth winter and with knees that will not jump never mind spring we are spending our second winter tied up completely with electric hook up ?  its deffo an age thing. Some people of course are way fitter than others and their wintering comes later in life. Even when on fixed moorings we ventured out or cruised fully every other winter but not the last one or this one!!

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes.  If you are logged in the same "place" for more than 14 days, that is a breach of the licence terms.

I think that will depend on how stupid the local bod is. We have been here now for over two months at our offside winter moorings which are passed and checked weekly without comment or problem yet.

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

In a marina?  I don’t see how that works, lots of people, including me,  put their boat into a marina (not their home mooring) when they need to leave it somewhere for more than 14 days.  Are you saying I should have had a nasty gram from CRT for doing that.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

In a marina?  I don’t see how that works, lots of people, including me,  put their boat into a marina (not their home mooring) when they need to leave it somewhere for more than 14 days.  Are you saying I should have had a nasty gram from CRT for doing that.

If you have a home mooring it does not apply.  If you have not got a home mooring (CCing) it does.

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you have a home mooring it does not apply.  If you have not got a home mooring (CCing) it does.

So you does people like the OP taking a winter mooring work then?  I was assuming that once you have the boat in a marina, you were OK to stay there, or else what is the point.

Just now, john6767 said:

So you does people like the OP taking a winter mooring work then?  I was assuming that once you have the boat in a marina, you were OK to stay there, or else what is the point.

You are, but CRT ask that you tell them you are doing it, and they update their records (or you update your own record online.)

If you do that first, you never get nagged.  If you don't, you are quite likely to get an overstay email or text, and then you have to explain anyway.

31 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So you does people like the OP taking a winter mooring work then?  I was assuming that once you have the boat in a marina, you were OK to stay there, or 

Edited by bastion

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You are, but CRT ask that you tell them you are doing it, and they update their records (or you update your own record online.)

If you do that first, you never get nagged.  If you don't, you are quite likely to get an overstay email or text, and then you have to explain anyway.

So you are updating mooring location each time you put the boat into a short term mooring.  I am asking as we will be giving up the mooring next year but will still continue to use marinas to leave the boat in, but at least will not be paying for two at the same time.  

I was assuming that the mooring location was only for a permenant mooring, and that as a CC'er you would remain a CC'er even when the boat was in a marina on a short term, e.g. winter mooring.

I guess I need to look a bit harder in the detail to understand what I am supposed to do, I would never thought of keeping changing the mooring location.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

So you are updating mooring location each time you put the boat into a short term mooring.  I am asking as we will be giving up the mooring next year but will still continue to use marinas to leave the boat in, but at least will not be paying for two at the same time.  

I was assuming that the mooring location was only for a permenant mooring, and that as a CC'er you would remain a CC'er even when the boat was in a marina on a short term, e.g. winter mooring.

I guess I need to look a bit harder in the detail to understand what I am supposed to do, I would never thought of keeping changing the mooring location.

Only if you are intending to stay more than 14 days.  You don't get a new licence, you simply don't get nagged for overstaying.

If you take a winter mooring or stop in a marina, it is classed as a temporary home mooring for your boat.

48 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Only if you are intending to stay more than 14 days.  You don't get a new licence, you simply don't get nagged for overstaying.

If you take a winter mooring or stop in a marina, it is classed as a temporary home mooring for your boat.

I would thought it would be a minimum of 6 weeks, First time you are clocked they don't know when you arrived, second time they know you have been there for at least 14 days and the third time they know you have overstayed. But that is only a guess.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

As I explained earlier, you will not get nagged in a marina as it is not checked in the same way or by the same team that do the towpath. 

We have also had CRT inform one of our new licence holders that they don't need to tell CRT that they are in a marina for Winter unless taking a permanent mooring and therefore changing licence status long term

13 hours ago, Ray T said:

Reminds me when sitting in winter on an exposed lake fishing into the teeth of a humdinger of an east wind. Mate turned round and said "I will be happy when I have had enough of this".

Edited by mark99

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

As I explained earlier, you will not get nagged in a marina as it is not checked in the same way or by the same team that do the towpath. 

We have also had CRT inform one of our new licence holders that they don't need to tell CRT that they are in a marina for Winter unless taking a permanent mooring and therefore changing licence status long term

Thanks Marty, that makes sense, and what I was assuming; that the home mooring was to do with licence status, and that you don’t change that every time you stop somewhere.  If you did that then you would need a new licence each time given the mooring location is on the licence, and people I have seen in the marina on winter moorings have still had no home mooring on their licence.

i guess I will see what happens next year!

21 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Each year for the past 5 years we've put the boat in a marina somewhere (different locations each year) for about a month whilst we go off and do other stuff, I've never yet received any communication from CRT 'nagging' me to do anything.

11 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Each year for the past 5 years we've put the boat in a marina somewhere (different locations each year) for about a month whilst we go off and do other stuff, I've never yet received any communication from CRT 'nagging' me to do anything.

You could probably put it on a 14 day mooring and not get one, just think of the timings. you arrive on Wednesday the checker had comes by the day before, he comes again 2 weeks later and clocks you, you have been there 13 days, but he doesn't know that, he comes again 2 weeks later, if yeo are still there he clocks you again, you have done 27 days, but he only knows you have been there for maybe 14, you could have arrived just before him, its another 14 days when he comes, but you left on the Monday afternoon, almost 6 weeks less 2 days but were only recorded there twice. Maybe if you were in a known "Hotspot" you would have been checked more often.

We've used marinas and offside boatyard moorings a few times whilst going on holiday and I have always assumed that the CCing 14 day rule is suspended whilst the boat is not on a CaRT public towpath mooring. I accept there is nothing explicit in the licence conditions about this so I assume it must come under the "or longer in reasonable circumstances" clause. Paying for a short term mooring must surely be a reasonable reason to stay on that mooring!

I expect that if you leave the boat on the offside on a non official mooring (not paying any money to CaRT) then CaRT would eventually complain.

..............Dave.