Over Wintering

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

So, it's our third winter on the boat, and tomorrow we'll be cruising into a Marina for 3 months, leaving 1st March (if the weather's kind).

Having not stayed so long in one place before, and because I'm a bit of an 'anorak' I've written a checklist (in no particular order)

• We believe our CC licence covers us, or would we have to pay extra?  Same with insurance?  
  • Scratches and rust spots treated (ongoing)
  • Diesel tank brimmed just before we 'dock'
  • Don't expect to move the boat again until we leave - don't have a pump out, and the only diesel used will be for 'half to an hour' in the morning for heat and hot water - don't have an immersion heater
  • Antifreeze and oil change recently completed
  • Attach to shore-line - battery charger plugged in - inverter switched off
  • Got lots of ideas to while away any boredom over the three months (haven't I Tumshie?)
  • Temporarily register with the local doc for a checkup (luckily neither of us (65 and 74) has seen a doc in over 5 years :) ), we're up to date with the dentist, though maybe it'd be wise to have our eyes tested.

We're already looking forward to our next trip in March and witnessing the excitement of Spring - this time we're venturing onto the Soar, possibly to 'infinity and beyond'!

Does anyone have tips, suggestions (nice ones), has anything been missed?

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Happy 1

There is NO CC licence! It’s all the same licence for all of us. If you like, advise CRT that you’ll be in the marina for three months, but it’s not essential in my experience. Similarly, you could just tell your insurer, but it makes no difference to your premium. If anything, there’s less risk of a claim while you are tucked up on a pontoon.

Apart from that, looks like a sane checklist. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

There is NO CC licence! It’s all the same licence for all of us. If you like, advise CRT that you’ll be in the marina for three months, but it’s not essential in my experience. Similarly, you could just tell your insurer, but it makes no difference to your premium. If anything, there’s less risk of a claim while you are tucked up on a pontoon.

Apart from that, looks like a sane checklist. 

Thanks for that! Really thought there was a difference! 

Just now, system 4-50 said:

Keep a bucket of sand for the pontoon when icy?

Check your isolation transformer/galvanic whatsit?

Bit technical for me, but OH says we got one - thanks :)

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

You don't need to advise CRT of a change in home mooring status unless it's a permanent change. 

You will be missing out on some lovely crisp winter cruising if you are determined not to venture out.

Think I'll pass this year - :) thanks. Though we were tightly stuck in the ice when the Beast from the East visited last March, so might get to experience several of those days

48 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Don't expect to move the boat again until we leave - don't have a pump out, and the only diesel used will be for 'half to an hour' in the morning for heat and hot water - don't have an immersion heater

Fit an immersion heater they are 'pennies' (maybe £30) and you'll save that in diesel pretty quickly - hot water for washing the pots, showers etc and no walking back from the 'services' with wet-hair after a shower.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

You don't need to advise CRT of a change in home mooring status unless it's a permanent change. 

You will be missing out on some lovely crisp winter cruising if you are determined not to venture out.

They could get an overstay email if they don't when the checker logs them in the same place 3 times in a row when he walks round the marina

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fit an immersion heater they are 'pennies' (maybe £30) and you'll save that in diesel pretty quickly - hot water for washing the pots, showers etc and no walking back from the 'services' with wet-hair after a shower.

Thanks Alan, I've suggested that, but have been overruled! Now you've given me an 'excuse'.... :)

UPDATE: Just asked; OH said there's no facility in the tank for an immersion, we'll need to have a new tank. :( 

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They could get an overstay email if they don't when the checker logs them in the same place 3 times in a row when he walks round the marina

But if there's no difference in licenses? Your comment was at the back of my mind... thank you.

Edited by Jennifer McM

8 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

UPDATE: Just asked; OH said there's no facility in the tank for an immersion, we'll need to have a new tank. :( 

Tell the staff to make absolutely sure. Sometimes the tank has been fitted with the whole for the immersion in a place you cannot see it. Sometimes the insulation is covering it, a bump is the giveaway then, tell staff to run his hands everywhere and to look at the top and centre and bottom edges as they are all possible  sites. Immersion hot water costs literaly pennies on hook up. You will find your leccy bill is just about for nowt.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Tell the staff to make absolutely sure. Sometimes the tank has been fitted with the whole for the immersion in a place you cannot see it. Sometimes the insulation is covering it, a bump is the giveaway then, tell staff to run his hands everywhere and to look at the top and centre and bottom edges as they are all possible  sites. Immersion hot water costs literaly pennies on hook up. You will find your leccy bill is just about for nowt.

Just had a staff meeting, OH did get rather excited with your comment, but he soon got slapped back and told to concentrate :)

Hunting for a possible 'whole' is now on his 'to do list'

Thank you!

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't prepay the whole 3 months - you might hate it if you have the "water gypsy" genes.  We think 3 days in a marina is long enough.

Good idea, and that's normally the case for us. This time we've booked into one where there are lots of facilities. Think I might find taking a stroll to a choice of coffee bars a unique experience.

With the damp cold weather we're having, hibernation appeals. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

This doesn't happen, the boatcheckers who patrol the towpaths don't do the marinas in their weekly ( or more or less) checks.

They are done once every couple of months and you don't get overstay notices when in a marina, only when on the towpath if you havn't moved often or far enough..(to satisfy the board ?)

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This doesn't happen, the boatcheckers who patrol the towpaths don't do the marinas in their weekly ( or more or less) checks.

Our marina is 200 yards from C&RT offices, whilst the 'official' licence inspections are monthly (list of dates posted on the notice board) in reality it tends to be weekly in the Summer  (for some reason) and 'never yet to be seen' in the cold, wet & windy Winter

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our marina is 200 yards from C&RT offices, whilst the 'official' licence inspections are monthly (list of dates posted on the notice board) in reality it tends to be weekly in the Summer  (for some reason) and 'never yet to be seen' in the cold, wet & windy Winter

The inspections will have a specified annual total, probably 12, why not do 10 of them in May and June.:D 

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If that is Newark then they've been once in the past 6 weeks. And given the boat next to us a notice for being unlicensed. 

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

They do request that you notify them though - and it's 10 seconds of a job on the licensing website to select "Mooring Details" on the "My Boats" page.

Yes, I think it's the best time of year to be out and about.  The canals look very different in winter too - less other boats moving for one thing!

• Greenie 1

Yes, you’ll be missing out on some lovely days and you will probably want to escape the marina from time to time.

And It’s good to give the engine a proper run.  

Whenever I’ve stayed in a marina I informed crt. (Crts) Expectations change when you have a home mooring. 

Your license will still be a CC because you wont have renewed. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, pearley said:

If that is Newark then they've been once in the past 6 weeks. And given the boat next to us a notice for being unlicensed. 

Yes - Kings.

The weather has been unseasonably mild so I guess they wanted to nip out for a 'fag-break'.

Re you neighbour - just stand by and wait for the "C&RT have no authority to demand a licence in a private marina" brigade to start jumping up and down.

(Although in this case it should be BWML taking action as the contract is with them, and having a licence is a condition of mooring).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Got lots of ideas to while away any boredom over the three months (haven't I Tumshie?)

Knit Rusty an nice woollen winter coat..............You could also knit one for your dog too:giggles:

If you get really bored.You could always resurrect Nanomoth.......the sequel!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Knit Rusty an nice woollen winter coat..............You could also knit one for your dog too:giggles:

If you get really bored.You could always resurrect Nanomoth.......the sequel!

Today is the last day of NaNoWriMo. :(

• Sad 1