Red Diesel Update - Meeting 20/11/18

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bee said:

I think the UK (or perhaps just the English) sees the French and Germans and probably everybody else on the planet as being some sort of threat and the EU as existing only to push us around. That is a point of view that baffles most of the people I know over the channel but if that really is how the Brexiteers see it then there is never going to be an end to this mess.

I think it is really the home counties English who think the rest of the world should cowtow to them including the other occupants of these isles. How they will react if or when Brexit occurs, and they discover they have less influence on word affairs than a gnat, I dread to think. We live on a small island in the Atlantic ocean that really doesn't matter in the big picture, compared to China India America etc we are a pimple.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Each country has its own taxes . So why is red diesel used  in a boats a matter of such interest?

Probably if leisure boats had not arrived in EU ports with tanks full of red diesel claiming it was fine because UK gov't say so, the EU would have not bothered and looked away.  Having the situation of a UK boat full of red moored next to a French boat that is banned from using low cost Red is never going to end well.  

Added - I'll just get my yellow jacket...................

Edited by Chewbacka

20 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

What I don't understand is how Ms May can talk about the EU being required to negotiate the future arrangements in good faith (or whatever words she uses) yet within hours France and I Think Denmark said they will veto any future agreement if they do not get their own way on fishing quotas and such like. Then they throw their toys out with the Galileo statement rather than negotiating. One thing the EU will not do is negotiate in good faith, proved by their own words & actions.

I think that you will find that they are negotiating, but in their own interests. 

18 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The longer this lot goes on for the more and more I, as a remainder, become convinced that if we stay we will finally be subsumed into the Franco-German empire that they have been trying as individual countries been trying to create for a thousand years or more. Once the EU moves to majority voting, if it has not done so already, that will be the result. I am now far from sure that getting out of their clutches will not be well worth some loss of living standards.

How much are you prepared to pay for this privilege? £100 a year? £1000 a year? £10,000 a year? 

Although we now know more about the downside of Brexit than at the time of the Referendum, we still are really guessing at the cost to individuals in terms of reduced standards of living - and equally speculative about possible upsides.

So, what would you pay?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Each country has its own taxes . So why is red diesel used  in a boats a matter of such interest?

Quite simply, the EU don't like it.  Assuming we remain in the EU, be prepared for a lot more of the same as the EU extends its influence ever further into our internal affairs.  Harmonisation is the EU game so what is good for Bulgaria and Romania has to be good for the UK and vice versa.

George

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Quite simply, the EU don't like it.  Assuming we remain in the EU, be prepared for a lot more of the same as the EU extends its influence ever further into our internal affairs.  Harmonisation is the EU game so what is good for Bulgaria and Romania has to be good for the UK and vice versa.

George

Strangely the above issue (and to a slightly lesser extent, ECJ and other regulations)) have never been made an issue in 'our' reasons for leaving the EU...

24 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Strangely the above issue (and to a slightly lesser extent, ECJ and other regulations)) have never been made an issue in 'our' reasons for leaving the EU...

I don't know where you were before the referendum and ever since, but I have been well aware of worries about EU and ECJ interference in our internal affairs.  Any attempt to spin the Brexit position into immigration only is just that, remainer spin.

George

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, furnessvale said:

I don't know where you were before the referendum and ever since, but I have been well aware of worries about EU and ECJ interference in our internal affairs.  Any attempt to spin the Brexit position into immigration only is just that, remainer spin.

George

That's right immigration AND the ECJ/ability to govern ourselves has always been my reason for out. Red diesel is just one example.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2018 at 22:14, Dr Bob said:

That's right immigration AND the ECJ/ability to govern ourselves has always been my reason for out. Red diesel is just one example.

And if I may, one more example........coal tar soap.!!!!   For generations folks on this fair isle have been washing their bodies and clothes with genuine Coal Tar soap.  The  EU without consultation banned the sale and use of CTS.  Wrights the producers of CTS have to  perfume their product with coal tar essence..!???

Best we leave before they ban leather shoe laces...

Merry Christmas

???

On 01/12/2018 at 11:06, mrsmelly said:

The sad thing is that you as a UK resident prefer YOUR government to be over ruled by another. Thank cripes there were more about like myself and my parents in the very recent 1930s as left to people with your attitude we now all be speaking german.

I think you, as a U.K. resident, have said a number of times, that you voted for any deal that means we no longer have MEPs.

Which means that you would be OK with YOUR government to be overruled by another. Probably not your preferred option.... but.....

just sayin’

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

I think you, as a U.K. resident, have said a number of times, that you voted for any deal that means we no longer have MEPs.

Which means that you would be OK with YOUR government to be overruled by another. Probably not your preferred option.... but.....

just sayin’

Have you been drinking?

No.... I don’t drink these days.

Are you saying that I’m wrong? Or are you just avoiding the question?

On another thread I have reiterated that unlike you I have no want to let the eu overule my that is the UK government which is what they do. eu law has primacy over UK law that is fact not opinion. I dont proffer my opinion on that just a plain and simple fact that you have no problem with. I want the UK government to be in charge that includes VAT which again the eu control and red diesel and other stuff. I have no idea why you suddenly bring this up days later on this thread but knock yourself out. I will be having a beer in a minute so as Captain Oates said.......

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not red but green, well it is Ireland and what they are doing about rebated fuel in private craft from 1 January 2020  https://afloat.ie/sail/cruising/item/41372-prohibition-on-use-of-marked-gas-oil-on-personal-pleasure-craft 

And like good little EU soldiers they do as they are told (they have no alternative do they !!)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

On another thread I have reiterated that unlike you I have no want to let the eu overule my that is the UK government which is what they do. eu law has primacy over UK law that is fact not opinion. I dont proffer my opinion on that just a plain and simple fact that you have no problem with. I want the UK government to be in charge that includes VAT which again the eu control and red diesel and other stuff. I have no idea why you suddenly bring this up days later on this thread but knock yourself out. I will be having a beer in a minute so as Captain Oates said.......

I bring it up because I’ve only just seen the thread...  

Enjoy your drink and Christmas. Feel free to answer whenever you like, or not at all if you wish.

You may have reiterated stuff until the cows come home, but are you now saying that merely having no MEPs will no longer satisfy what you were voting for, or that you never said it?

I am sure that we have discussed Norway and Switzerland and other types of deals, where we would follow EU laws, and you have said that “anything” where we have no MEPs would fulfil what you voted for.

• Greenie 1

I bring it up because I’ve only just seen the thread...  

Enjoy your drink and Christmas. Feel free to answer whenever you like, or not at all if you wish.

You may have reiterated stuff until the cows come home, but are you now saying that merely having no MEPs will no longer satisfy what you were voting for, or that you never said it?

I am sure that we have discussed Norway and Switzerland and other types of deals, where we would follow EU laws, and you have said that “anything” where we have no MEPs would fulfil what you voted for.

Ahh now I get you having given me a bit more to listen to. If we have no meps we are no longer in the eu and eu law no longer has primacy and also we will be out of the ecj also unless my government decides not to go that way. You again are just quoting your only God in life, that of Trade. Yes if we deal with the eu we will have to comply with their trading laws but then again we dont have to deal with them and the bit you forget is they will no longer have primacy over us so can decide off our own back what laws to set without Johny Foreigner interfereing. We will not have to comply with their enforced taxation laws either unless my government decides to. This is the thin end of the wedge if it happens ( which I still doubt ) we will move further and further away as time progresses.

• Angry 1

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes if we deal with the eu we will have to comply with their trading laws but then again we dont have to deal with them

Yeah, we could just shoot ourselves in the foot, completely mess up our economy and make everybody worse off. I'm sure that would be preferable ?

without Johny Foreigner interfereing.

and there we go, that's what it comes down to. Brexit is a fundamentally mainly supported by xenophobes.

Edited by Liam
Removed swearing
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, aracer said:

Yeah, we could just shoot ourselves in the foot, completely mess up our economy and make everybody worse off. I'm sure that would be preferable ?

and there we go, that's what it comes down to. Brexit is a fundamentally mainly supported by xenophobes.

Just pick the bits out you think matter such as the tivia of trade. You think its fine then that some non country can dictate our taxation laws then? just as a for instance!! :banghead:

Edited by Liam