Red Diesel Update - Meeting 20/11/18

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

What do all the boaters in the rest of the EU do?  Just pay the full whack on white diesel without complaint?  Or does nobody heat their boats over there?

Yes, they pay fll whack for white diesel. (Full whack, however, is usualyl a bit cheaper than in the UK) They may have a separate tank for eating fuel, which can be filled with red.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

It has actually been in force for a long time, it is just that HMRC have been fighting it in court....and finally lost.

Which probably means they will want backdated monies paid added onto the Brexit exit fee.

Hard to see how it would be added to Brexit exit, as it's tax which goes to the government. We do not pay taxes to the EU.

2 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Yes, they pay fll whack for white diesel. (Full whack, however, is usualyl a bit cheaper than in the UK) They may have a separate tank for eating fuel, which can be filled with red.

Hard to see how it would be added to Brexit exit, as it's tax which goes to the government. We do not pay taxes to the EU.

I knew that Johnny Foreigner ate snails and frogs legs, but eating diesel (do they use it instead of gravy?), well I'm  shocked. ?

39 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

:glare: I think you both know some thing I don't know. :huh:

Yeah right. ?

Ok I’ll own up. Yes I know what ‘double bunded’ means.  It means built for comfort rather than speed. And it relates to the bodywork on... um, er, errrr.... cars! That’s it, it relates to cars! Isn’t that right Mr Rusty??! ;););) 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I’ll own up. Yes I know what ‘double bunded’ means.  It means built for comfort rather than speed. And it relates to the bodywork on... um, er, errrr.... cars! That’s it, it relates to cars! Isn’t that right Mr Rusty??! ;););) 

iu.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You will be telling her she has an "interstitial space" next ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You will be telling her she has an "interstitial space" next ?

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Wasn't that a Meg Ryan film!

I think it the bit between my EARS the place where my inner workings are meant to be. :giggles:

Edited by Tumshie
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I knew that Johnny Foreigner ate snails and frogs legs, but eating diesel (do they use it instead of gravy?), well I'm  shocked. ?

They drink it. Have you never heard of Vin Diesel? Lovely red wine innit

Back on thread!

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Havent spoken to you in while Carl hows things going? I agree with your storage point by the way, my tank is clean as I cleaned it out, and it now has Kero in it as my whispergen and bubble stove both like it, and its cleaner in use as well

That's god news as if we lose the red I shall put a second tank in and run my Dickinson oh domestic heating oil which is 50p a lt at the moment.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's god news as if we lose the red I shall put a second tank in and run my Dickinson oh domestic heating oil which is 50p a lt at the moment.

I put a second diesel tank for the engine  in Parglena 15 years ago in preparation for this........its been a long time coming.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

In England, almost all external tanks of 200 litres capacity and over were replaced before 2001 in order to comply with the Oil Storage ( Control of Pollution) England regulation 2001. Tanks have to be integrally bunded in order to comply. 

In England domestic oil tanks under 2500 litres do not necessarily have to be bunded.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What do they run their compressors on then?

Depends whether it's  drilling rig or a production platform. If the former, electricity from diesel generators running on marine fuel oil. If the latter, electricity from gas turbine generators.

There are plenty of emergency generators and 'black start' machines running on diesel though. 

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We are not going to win this one. The overbearing over powerful over here eu will carry on regardless as they are well miffed at our leaving. Of course eu lovers will relish their own country being overuled by a foreign court sitting in a foreign country. Just one of the eu ways at setting taxation for " Independant " countries.

It's fascinating to me that people are so one-sided on a subject like this.

I'm old enough to remember British people in the 1990s travelling across to Belgium (in particular) to buy cars because all the manufacturers charged more for cars sold in the UK than in Europe.  Then the bad old, nasty old EU stepped in and made it illegal for car manufacturers to do so.  It's a decision that has probably saved UK consumers tens of thousands of pounds over the past twenty years (even if you buy used cars, the price has been depressed throughout the period by the lowered cost of new cars). That was a judgment where countries' rules were overruled by the joint sovereignty of the EU, completely and utterly to our benefit.

But that's all in the past and conveniently forgotten when something like this doesn't go our way.  No, it's the nasty old EU that never gives us nothin'.

Just saying...

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 3

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the suggestion from me is "tell them to forget it",  its not long until we are 'out' and then they have no authority what we do with out fuels

Better still don't bother to tell them anything .