240 volt ac on a boat - why?

yabasayo

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

When my cousin asked how we cope with clothes washing on the boat,I told him we put it in a huge metal basket, lower it behind the prop and run the engine for a couple of hours whilst chucking washing powder down the weed hatch. 

...and you dry it by hanging the wet clothes in front of the ecofan?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

230 V is usual for mains devices .since about umpteen years ago.

(It doesn't stop Western Power Distribution sending me 245 V most of the time.)

220V -6%, +10%, so it shouldn’t ever be above 242V

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I think that is the difference for those of us who want to live in the 21st century and those who want to stay in the 1970's. We lived aboard for 3 years looking in each port for launderettes and having to queue to get clothes done. What an utter waste of time. For us, life is too short to have to plan when and where to wash clothes.

we don't tend to plan for where / when to wash clothes, but it usually works out that one of us will do the washing while the other does shopping / changes the oil on the engine etc etc

it's never been a deliberate stop, more of a "while we're here doing X one of us can nip off and do the washing"

to be fair... with the hours we put in while on the boat and only 100 hours between changes we do more oil changes than loads of washing (I think our record was 6 days between oil changes, and even then we were over by a few hours)

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, yabasayo said:

Sounds like a nightmare to me. What happened to the simple life ?

My idea of boating is to get away from al that stuff.

We don't have a dishwasher but do have pretty much every other gadget that is  normal to have.

Our motto has always been "We may live on a boat but we ain't camping" and did so successfully for 20 years.

Phil

8 hours ago, Tacet said:

I put a gas light into the last house; very nice too.  When I came to let the house, the young, gas safety inspector seemed to overlook it altogether.  Odd.

We occaisionally still get to work on projects incl work the old street gas lamps. Last one was a great set right in the middle of the City of London.

Edited by mark99

39 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

We don't have a dishwasher but do have pretty much every other gadget that is  normal to have.

Our motto has always been "We may live on a boat but we ain't camping" and did so successfully for 20 years.

Phil

You do have a dishwasher just that it runs on beer not 240v.

• Haha 1

The conflict that happens in threads like this seems to stem from people expecting others to embrace their lifestyle be it Spartan or Luxurious. 

Personally I don't care how others choose to live their lives as long as they accept that I'm free to live mine as I choose, there is no right way or wrong way just options.

Phil

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

The conflict that happens in threads like this seems to stem from people expecting others to embrace their lifestyle be it Spartan or Luxurious. 

Personally I don't care how others choose to live their lives as long as they accept that I'm free to live mine as I choose, there is no right way or wrong way just options.

Phil

Completely agree.......................apart from plonkers who polish brass of course ?

• Haha 1

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:54, Mike the Boilerman said:

Being a Luddite myself, I have gas lights in my boat. 

Not many people have gas lights, I don't know why, I had gas lights on two of my boats, got them from a caravan breakers in N. Wales. Excellent light, bit of warmth as well, only problem was getting the mantles. I now have LED's but we don't live on the boat. If I was planning to live on a boat full time I would give serious thought to gas lights.

13 minutes ago, Bee said:

Not many people have gas lights, I don't know why, I had gas lights on two of my boats, got them from a caravan breakers in N. Wales. Excellent light, bit of warmth as well, only problem was getting the mantles. I now have LED's but we don't live on the boat. If I was planning to live on a boat full time I would give serious thought to gas lights.

I like oil lamps but the missus doesnt like the smell. Even the non smelly oil is still a bit smelly. With todays bright leds that use practicaly no power I suppose thats why we all use em. Shame though gas and oil lamps are the biz.

On 30/11/2018 at 00:46, bizzard said:

I read Sherlock Holmes books by the light of my oil lamp, why I've now got one eye and a Whelk. I was standing at a bus stop the other day. There was a chap waiting there with a glass eye. Suddenly he clawed it out and started bouncing it up and down on the pavement.  I asked him what he was doing.  He said,, There a bus coming, I'm trying to see if there's any room on top.

Do you have a bus pass?

It's true the led lights are a massive bit of good news for boaters. At 1/10th the consumption of the old filament bulbs, anyone would be potty not to have them. So you certainly only need a 12v ring for your lighting (though of course there is a very good selection of 240v led bulbs available).

One still has to give some consideration to use of lights though. For example, if you have 4x ceiling lights on in a cabin, that could draw an amp an hour, which although relatively small, cannot be totally ignored.

Edited by Johny London
spelling

27 minutes ago, Johny London said:

that could draw an amp an hour.

As soon as the washing machines done I'm gonna tek the dog down the pub for a couple of pint-hours.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3