240 volt ac on a boat - why?

yabasayo

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, MJG said:

Spot on Phil, but then it was clear from the start that the OP was being judgmental about people who choose to boat in a different way.

You get it in caravanning forums too where there are posters who think those of us who hook up to 240 v because we just want a few luxuries are philistines.

The op will of course deny this but the implication is clear.

Pathetic.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

33 minutes ago, yabasayo said:

Pathetic.

Well no not really.

Your whole original post is predicated in calling into question the use of 240V on boats and subsequent comments such as 'what happened to the simple life' supports that. So if you are not being judgmental about folk who do rely on 240V to enjoy their boating what exactly is the point of your thread?

boating (as with most things in life) is as complex or as simple as you make it.

In my case I find very minimal need for mains on the boat, some other boats that I know find that a 10 minute power cut is a total disaster as the only things left functioning on their boat is lights, everything else is mains powered via hookup or travelpower (no inverter or gas)

17 hours ago, Tacet said:

24 amp hours per day, of course

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Aha! Why did you add that bit??

Having first boated using zinc-carbon technology, I still find the most natural units are U2s per fortnight. 

• Haha 3

So to those saying 240V on a boat is wrong, you should be living the simple 12V life like in the old days -- surely you shouldn't even have 12V, or lights, or an engine?

You should live (with your entire family) in the boatman's cabin (lit by paraffin lamp) of a wooden boat pulled by a horse, which is prodded along the towpath in the rain by your (uneducated) five-year-old daughter, only stopping once a week for your wife to do the washing in a dolly tub on the towpath while you go off and snare some rabbits to provide the once-a-week meat treat for dinner...

• Greenie 1

I reiterate, why not just accept we are all different in our requirements and there is no right or wrong.

It doesn't bother me if someone opts for the simple life so why should it bother them if I choose to live a more techy life 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 2

9 hours ago, MJG said:

Well no not really.

Your whole original post is predicated in calling into question the use of 240V on boats and subsequent comments such as 'what happened to the simple life' supports that. So if you are not being judgmental about folk who do rely on 240V to enjoy their boating what exactly is the point of your thread?

Because "ricco" needs more history on his current sockpuppet account.  Don't you recognise the posting style and the expertise on pushing hot buttons?

• Unimpressed 1

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have a 12 volt microwave it works

In terms of generating the microwaves themselves, the magnetron inside works at about 2500 volts, regardless of the supply voltage.   What makes the biggest difference to which appliances we use are availability, price, efficiency and, practically speaking, the current draw dictating the supply cables. The problem with 12v microwaves is that whilst they are probably fine on efficiency, there's less choice (and therefore they're higher priced) and typically draw something like 65 amps so they require heavy cables which are only really practical if the unit is sited close to the batteries.

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have a 12 volt microwave it works

Q. Why use 12v?  The ones I’ve seen are about 500watt, and would need fairly thick cables.   Doesn’t seem worth it.

To be honest the size of our boats why do most have 12v!   24v is much better for our requirements.

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

In terms of generating the microwaves themselves, the magnetron inside works at about 2500 volts, regardless of the supply voltage.   What makes the biggest difference to which appliances we use are availability, price, efficiency and, practically speaking, the current draw dictating the supply cables. The problem with 12v microwaves is that whilst they are probably fine on efficiency, there's less choice (and therefore they're higher priced) and typically draw something like 65 amps so they require heavy cables which are only really practical if the unit is sited close to the batteries.

I originally planned on 12v throughout and layout dictated 12v microwave to be 45' from batts, that's ok I thought I'll use a couple of thick cables down the length of the cabin with take off points leading to separate fuse boxes, mmm cables req are too thick, OK 24v then. But when I realized how efficient quality inverters are 2.5mm cable for 240v was a no brainer. 

• Greenie 1