Origin of my boat?

Ian F B

Featured Posts

Having done some research,I found out Flo was converted / remodelled from a `collier`,despite my efforts I am unable to identify what type of craft this was.It obviously had no superstructure originally as it appears it had `bulkheads `every 6 feet along its length which where removed when the original wooden top was put on.She then spent some time in the hands of a well known member of the K andA  Canal Society when the metal top was put on,they were helpful but could not absolutely identify the boats origin.Any ideas??????

This is only a guess, but perhaps a boat like the Joeys of the B.C.N., used for carrying coal. The bulkheads would prevent the coal, being heavy, from shifting about and thereby affecting the trim and handling of the boat.

Yes, an internet search for Flo did mainly throw up the 30' Springer. There's another Springer of the same name on the canals too - I used to own her!

The bows look as if they could have started life as part of a Joey.

22 minutes ago, Bee said:

Was there a 'Colliery narrowboats' at one time?  I quite like the fore end, Don't think its from a joey  but it might just have a bit of history.

Good call - I think there was, unless I am thinking of Industry Narrowboats. Now I think about it, Barney Boats had a similar bow shape too.

I'd say Its an old (70s?) wooden top pleasure narrow boat which has at some point had the hull overplated (hence the odd look of the lowest rubbing strake at the bow) and a steel cabin added. No idea who built it but the mooring bitts at the stern could be an identifier as they are a bit unusual. 

Eta To be honest the stem makes me think amateur build and the steel top could well be original. 

Edited by magnetman

I don't believe for one moment that there is any historic boat lurking under any of the teelwork there - Joey or otherwise.

Nothing to me suggests that at all.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Now I think about it, Barney Boats had a similar bow shape too.

I've never sen a Barney boat that has any similarity to that at all.

This post shows a typical Barney boat - Not the same at all.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't believe for one moment that there is any historic boat lurking under any of the teelwork there - Joey or otherwise.

Nothing to me suggests that at all.

Not even that guard rail down at water level at the bow? 

But I grant you nothing else looks older than about 45 years.....

Correction to my original post,the boat was refitted from a bare shell by a well known member of the Wey and Aran Canal Trust.Looking at some old photos of our total refit it appears the bulkheads went all the way to the gunwhale,and there is a keel like spar running internally down the centre line fore to aft.

I am in no way suggesting this is a boat of any historical importance,I was just trying to find a little more about its origin!

The bulkheads were approx 6 feet apart and in the bow there are two old penny size stubs of metal,one each side about 18 inches back and 4 inches in,possibly the remains of some sort of framework?

In the stern there are 2 coke can sized pieces of metal,that have a tapped thread in them,just forward and to the side of the weed hatch .Does that help????