Wind turbine

Johny London

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just had a look at the link - loads of pretty pictures and greenwash but I could not find any technical specs. I would say beware.

But, but, but...

Unlimited Colour Combinations

I'm sold!

As you say, not a single bit of technical info

Nice picture of the drop inlet valve on a mill engine though:

Machine-1.jpg

Richard

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But they do put them on top of the sea - I seen 'um !!

Offshore there is or are:

(1) much more wind;

(2) less wind shear; because there are no hills or trees the wind speed at a given height is higher than it would be onshore;

(3) fewer NIMBY residents to object.

Maintenance issues are more of a headache but 50 years of offshore oil and gas knowledge is a great help in the UK.

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Offshore there is or are:

(1) much more wind;

(2) less wind shear; because there are no hills or trees the wind speed at a given height is higher than it would be onshore;

(3) fewer NIMBY residents to object.

Maintenance issues are more of a headache but 50 years of offshore oil and gas knowledge is a great help in the UK.

But - there are still vibrations, which the tree-huggers would have us believe disorientates Whales (not Wales), Dolphins & Porpoises and is a contributory fact for all of these 'strandings'.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But - there are still vibrations, which the tree-huggers would have us believe disorientates Whales (not Wales), Dolphins & Porpoises and is a contributory fact for all of these 'strandings'.

Maybe (although it is orders of magnitude lower than the vibration from fixing the monopiles) but I can't help thinking this is another example of objectors looking for an objection -- any objection.  

Shipping disorients whales too -- are we going to stop trading now? (Avoids cross-referencing Brexit thread).

Edited by Machpoint005
to add a bit

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

During our 3 year sail to the med and back, we came across many boats with wind gennies. Some were ok to be next to but others not so. Constant creaking, whining squeaking etc. A lot are not quiet and will annoy both you and your neighbors. If you get one, please don't come and park by me.

If I had a bank side mooring then maybe a bigger version would be the way to go but again the noise is a big issue. Please don't moor next to us.

Change your mooring to Foxes, Wind turbines don't last long in the marina, as they suffer from shellfire.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just had a look at the link - loads of pretty pictures and greenwash but I could not find any technical specs. I would say beware.

4 hours ago, Robbo said:

No pretty pictures I could see of the product tho!

I too thought the site looked a bit "all fur coat" nor could I find any demos on the YouTubes. 

Not that I think PBO is the be all and end all but if it wasn't in their Southampton boat show bit I would have dismissed it. :)

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

But, but, but...

I'm sold!

As you say, not a single bit of technical info

Nice picture of the drop inlet valve on a mill engine though:

Machine-1.jpg

Richard

That was my thinking too, and I wondered if I was missing something - but I feel better now that I might not be quite as daft as I thought I was. 

But that is a very sexy picture. ?

Edited by Tumshie

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I too thought the site looked a bit "all fur coat" nor could I find any demos on the YouTubes. 

Not that I think PBO is the be all and end all but if it wasn't in there Southampton boat show bit I would have dismissed it. :)

That was my thinking too, and I wondered if I was missing something - but I feel better now that I might not be quite as daft as I thought I was. 

You sure you're not?.....:giggles:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Maybe (although it is orders of magnitude lower than the vibration from fixing the monopiles) but I can't help thinking this is another example of objectors looking for an objection -- any objection.  

Shipping disorients whales too -- are we going to stop trading now? (Avoids cross-referencing Brexit thread).

Just to add to that a bit. 

While I'd like to see us have as little impact as possible and two wrongs don't make a right - I don't know for certain, but I would have thought that the oil rigs drilling in the North Sea would have far more noise issues for under water creatures. Not to mention turbines don't have the same potential to spill pollutants into the waters the way that oil rigs and tankers do. 

Edited by Tumshie

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I would have thought that the oil rigs drilling in the North Sea would have far more noise issues for under water creatures

And you would be right. However, not all marine creatures dislike them: I have seen an orca enjoying an impromptu jacuzzi next to a support boat out in the Brae field (OK it was just the boat pumping water overboard, but still..).  

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

And you would be right. However, not all marine creatures dislike them: I have seen an orca enjoying an impromptu jacuzzi next to a support boat out in the Brae field (OK it was just the boat pumping water overboard, but still..).  

was it enjoying the jacuzzi or was it struggling with a sudden loss of bouyancy from being in aerated water?

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I was on a support boat next to the Brae Alpha platform once. No orcas there though.

Most small wind turbines only generate their rated power output at 45mph wind speed and the graph of power output vs wind speed is not linear so drops off rapidly below this. In reality you might as well get a hamster and fit a dynamo to it's wheel. 

9 hours ago, Tumshie said:

You need to come and visit Crofton pumping station. Its full of stuff like that picture! 

Similarly the water museum near Kew Bridge.

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Who are they then?

Wasn't Maplins the name of the holiday camp they all worked in, in the 70s sitcom "Hi-de-hi"?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You need to come and visit Crofton pumping station. Its full of stuff like that picture! 

Similarly the water museum near Kew Bridge.

??

I will just as soon as I've scraped my poor weak at the knees self off the floor.    Is Crofton pumping station the one designed by James Watt?