Squirrel scraper

rusty69

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Ok. Mrs rusty has popped up the shops. I have taken the opportunity to stick her dyson down the flue pipe from outside. 

I have been getting some funny looks, buts s'ok. I am used to them. 

Yeah a beagle using a Dyson down a boat chimbley, that must be a sight to see!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

Without doubt the best tool is the Mk 1 hand in a rubber glove. The glove soon gets destroyed but the job gets done..

Yep, same conclusion here, but the glove must be not too thick and not too thin. 

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

In an attempt to be serious :offtopic::offtopic:

This is a problem I will encounter in a couple of hours when I go up to the boat to prepare it for the winter (minor op in a couple of weeks so won't be able to get to it for a couple of months). In the past I've tried an ash vac, various hand and paint brushes, shaped metal scrapers and assorted bits and pieces. Without doubt the best tool is the Mk 1 hand in a rubber glove. The glove soon gets destroyed but the job gets done..

If anyone can come up with a sensible suggestion in the time it takes to drive 75 miles I would be grateful.

Frank

614cPwumILL._SL1500_.jpghttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Monument-3014J-3014J-1-Boiler-Brushes/dp/B001OKO0LU?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001OKO0LU

Also available from most plumbers' merchants. The wire handlers can be bent and twisted to any shape that helps. 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ok. Mrs rusty has popped up the shops. I have taken the opportunity to stick her dyson down the flue pipe from outside. 

!!NO!!  

Oh, too late :ninja:

Just now, Tumshie said:

When's Mrs Rusty back?  :huh:

She's gone to get a loaf of bread.Dunno, 6pm. You know what women and shops are like. I have cleaned it up good and proper and chucked it back in the cupboard.Its only a likkle bit melted on the end!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That's going to take some explaining at A&E.

"No nurse I mean it.  I was vacuuming my squirrel, naked, and then I fell.  Yeah, that's it - I fell."

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's going to take some explaining at A&E.

"No nurse I mean it.  I was vacuuming my squirrel, naked, and then I fell.  Yeah, that's it - I fell."

Hey. I was not naked!

There may be a trip to A&E for me though when she sees the melted dyson. At least they can look at my squirrel  damaged hand at the same time.

If you put the flue in the 'ole at the back it's dead easy to use the 'ole on the top to clear out the cr@p.   I have an ancient tablespoon which is ideal for the corners and an ancient Goblin Rio for the bulk of the sweepings.   Flue in the back means you also get a bigger useable area for eco fans, kettle,  stew pots etc.

No need to bolt the top lid own either.  It will sit in the groove,  on its sealing rope,  quite happily.

N

10 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If you put the flue in the 'ole at the back it's dead easy to use the 'ole on the top to clear out the cr@p.   I have an ancient tablespoon which is ideal for the corners and an ancient Goblin Rio for the bulk of the sweepings.   Flue in the back means you also get a bigger useable area for eco fans, kettle,  stew pots etc.

No need to bolt the top lid own either.  It will sit in the groove,  on its sealing rope,  quite happily.

N

No room for flue at back on ours, though there is a blanking plate.I don't recall how it is fixed, but wonder if this could be modified to access the boiler!

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Just tell her you treated her to the new "special edition" black version of the Dyson.

She will be well pleased (at least until the black starts to come off onto her hands whilst she is hoovering ?).

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Just tell her you treated her to the new "special edition" black version of the Dyson.

She will be well pleased (at least until the black starts to come off onto her hands whilst she is hoovering ?).

Well, thank you Mr cuthound.I took your advice and introduced Mrs Rusty to her new improved "dark themed Dyson".

To say she was not best impressed would be a understatement. Well, at least I now know why it is called a crevice attachment tool!

Currently at local A&E getting yet more funny looks.
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No room for flue at back on ours, though there is a blanking plate.I don't recall how it is fixed, but wonder if this could be modified to access the boiler!

The blanking plate is held in by two bolts which go through two "clips" into the plate. More recent versions have a single bar across the opening but still two bolts into the blank.

The plate is a bugger to remove without removing the boiler first, and then you don't need to remove the plate!

N

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

This is what I've done to ours. I seem to recall you can only remove it from inside initially, I accessed it from the top with the flue removed before installing. 2nd squirrel I've done this on, now fixed with 2 bolts from outside into metal bar that holds it on. Quick and easy to clean behind boiler now!

The other way I've done it is vacuum cleaner hose down flue from on top. Often alternate between this and removing rear blanking plate. Surprising how much you get out!

2 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

This is what I've done to ours. I seem to recall you can only remove it from inside initially, I accessed it from the top with the flue removed before installing. 2nd squirrel I've done this on, now fixed with 2 bolts from outside into metal bar that holds it on. Quick and easy to clean behind boiler now!

The other way I've done it is vacuum cleaner hose down flue from on top. Often alternate between this and removing rear blanking plate. Surprising how much you get out!

Installed the new squirrel last year. I didn't think of doing it at the time. Oh, well, next squirrel is due in 2038....maybe then!