Where No Tides Flow - narrated by Raymond Baxter

gbclive

Featured Posts

The little trailered boat drew only inches, not much water displacement there, and the Waterbus went flat out through the Park as there were no boats moored between the Zoo and Maida Vale. Well piled along there too.

Great videos. London as I remember it.

Just watched the first Look At Life, which I greatly enjoyed.

I noticed that there were two boats called Otter - a narrowboat and a trailable cruiser. I was taken back many years by ghe once-familiar sight of colliery sidings full of laden wagons; and I was interested to note, about 5:20, the only example of twingling which I have seen on film.

Good video.  I liked the wise dog who jumps onto the cabin just as the boat is leaving the lock. 

And fixing the child's reins to the slide; I can well remember doing that with my kids - and having no idea that we were following a traditional pattern.

8 minutes ago, mark99 said:

PS good vid Clive - where are you these days? Can't see your bote in the marina.

Edited 6 minutes ago by mark99

Hi Mark - Glascote Basin for the winter for blasting, painting and significant fettling ?

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Just watched the first Look At Life, which I greatly enjoyed.

I noticed that there were two boats called Otter - a narrowboat and a trailable cruiser. I was taken back many years by ghe once-familiar sight of colliery sidings full of laden wagons; and I was interested to note, about 5:20, the only example of twingling which I have seen on film.

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Not a std under way practice usually after loading or morning /after tied up night would guess they were mopping up the water deposited on the cabin from the tunnel air vents anti slip precaution when dropping to the cabin top in locks more of a rainy day exercise

Edited by X Alan W

One of the funniest evenings(Ha Ha wise) was in the Pub with Ron (Hough ) RIP describing his part (not seen) in the Bargee tutoring Ronnie Barker& Harry  Corrbett & his description of Eric  Sykes"s antics not all waste of space /no knowledge left me laughing so much my sideb hurt for all the next day &later I towed his Ex butty "Bellarophne from Hillmorton /Norbury to replace horse tripboat "Iona"

22 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

One of the funniest evenings(Ha Ha wise) was in the Pub with Ron (Hough ) RIP describing his part (not seen) in the Bargee tutoring Ronnie Barker& Harry  Corrbett & his description of Eric  Sykes"s antics not all waste of space /no knowledge left me laughing so much my sideb hurt for all the next day &later I towed his Ex butty "Bellarophne from Hillmorton /Norbury to replace horse tripboat "Iona"

He does appear in the film, disguised, in long distance shots eg when leaving the lay by, Harry H. bumps the boats before it quickly cuts to Ron steering them round towards Brentford

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

still in the stinkhole 

Was then. You know the worst thing about the stink'ole? ....................................... after a day in there you don't actually notice the smell!

20160416_140959.jpg

20160416_140541.jpg

Edited by mark99

13 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Good video; change in thinking from then/present day a aprrox 4.30 BW hire boat Water Vailent top gates mitre stemming om possibly Hatton flight Ham baker gear locks

I wonder if it's current lowing owner is aware of this footage.

Back these days under it's original name of Enceladus, it is a very different looking beast from it's former BW hire cruiser days.......

img_1406.jpg?w=1024&h=768

Edited by alan_fincher