Toilet Paper

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, haggis said:

You would have to get the paper from the loo to the fire before you could burn it. This means handling it at some point. Reminds me of the sanitary arrangements in Greece where there was a container (not often one with a lid on ) where the used paper was put. I found it pretty disgusting and I would rather dispose of used paper as near the source and as quickly as possible ! 

haggis

I had identical thoughts on reading this. Suspect plastic bags would be used with obvious issues.

The reference to Greece reminded me of when we sailed There. Trooping up to the bar/taverna with a plastic bag. It was whisked away by the waiter who promptly took your food order.:closedeyes:   

Frank

4 hours ago, haggis said:

You would have to get the paper from the loo to the fire before you could burn it. This means handling it at some point. Reminds me of the sanitary arrangements in Greece where there was a container (not often one with a lid on ) where the used paper was put. I found it pretty disgusting and I would rather dispose of used paper as near the source and as quickly as possible ! 

haggis

Yes, I have to say that I found the Greek sanitary arrangements a bit off-putting, particularly on a hot day with flies buzzing around around the bin with the used paper:sick:. The guy that we hired our boat from insisted that the reason that they do this is because their waste is carried in small calibre pipes, he couldn't think of an answer when I asked him if they only passed small calibre turds.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yes, I have to say that I found the Greek sanitary arrangements a bit off-putting, particularly on a hot day with flies buzzing around around the bin with the used paper:sick:. The guy that we hired our boat from insisted that the reason that they do this is because their waste is carried in small calibre pipes, he couldn't think of an answer when I asked him if they only passed small calibre turds.

Out here in the Balkans thats standard, paper bin in every toilet, just clean it everyday, and yes pipes are small bore.

21 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Depends what it has been used for, obviously.

I suspect that the majority of toilet paper gets used by the ladies to dry their fanny . Provided you are not wanting to start your fire using it then it would burn no problem. 

21 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

"The dance of the flaming ars*holes". 

I'm not even going to look for a youtube link for that one, but many rugby players will be all too happy to demonstrate if you give them beer, loo roll and a lighter.

Loo roll! Nah! Rolled up newspaper.

17 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Maybe they Polished the Turds prior to Launch?

• 4 years later...
7 minutes ago, Mo Wood said:

Whilst on a toilet theme, (and wherever two boaters are together, it will always pop up in conversation! )can anybody recommend a suitable descaler/ cleaner for my pump out tank please? 

We haven't been on this toilet theme for almost 5 years.

I think we 'logged' off the subject.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mo Wood said:

Whilst on a toilet theme, (and wherever two boaters are together, it will always pop up in conversation! )can anybody recommend a suitable descaler/ cleaner for my pump out tank please? 

Never descaled my tank, I don't even know if its scally 

51 minutes ago, Mo Wood said:

If you mean a descaler for the macerator toilet (as well as the pipes the blades get scale on them and become less effective), I have used these.

https://unifloproducts.co.uk/product/unicleanse-crystals-macerator-pump-de-scaler-cleaner-2/

I don't think the tank itself scales up enough to affect its performance.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

If you mean a descaler for the macerator toilet (as well as the pipes the blades get scale on them and become less effective), I have used these.

https://unifloproducts.co.uk/product/unicleanse-crystals-macerator-pump-de-scaler-cleaner-2/

I don't think the tank itself scales up enough to affect its performance.

Jeyes Fluid will break down sludge and scale in honey tanks if dosed a little regularly.

On 29/11/2018 at 06:55, Wanderer Vagabond said:

But that doesn't explain why they wouldn't use a flip top bin?

It's not just Greece by the way where you don't throw toilet paper into the toilet. Half the world operates on the same basis. In many parts of Asia they think we're pretty disgusting for using toilet paper in the first place, smearing sh*t all over our arses with paper rather than washing it properly with water as they do. By the way, if you've ever had diarrhoea in these countries you soon learn to appreciate the washing facility as paper will give you a red raw arsehole in no time at all.

Edited by blackrose

On 28/11/2018 at 17:10, canalhippy said:

So, strange question here, does anybody burn used toilet paper in their multi stove? Asking for a friend, obviously....

The obvious follow on from that comment is to ask, (on behalf of your friend) whether anyone has tried burning fully formed 'toilet logs' on their aptly named multi-fuel stove.

3 minutes ago, Mike A R Powell said:

The obvious follow on from that comment is to ask, (on behalf of your friend) whether anyone has tried burning fully formed 'toilet logs' on their aptly named multi-fuel stove.

There is a member on here that admits to doing that. 

I will let him out himself 😱

• Greenie 1

On 28/11/2018 at 17:47, Athy said:

Do you think so?

A hot coal fire produces smoke which smells of coal. A hot wood fire produces smoke which smells of wood. So follow that train of thought to its conclusion.

I think someone should test it out. The first thing a fire would do to 'fuel' like that it boil away any water present. This wouldn't smell. The remaining dry solids might but the smells would surely go up the chimney where passers by would blame the local farmer for slurry spreading.