Praise where it is due.

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

My praise goes to Midland Chandlers whom a significant number of poster on here disparage. 1.6 meters of 4.5 inch (no idea why they mix meters and inches) of steel flue pipe. Double skinned chimney, cast iron roof collar, 5 inch to 4.5 inch adapter, rain cap and pretty brass ceiling ring. Ordered yesterday at approx 2.30 pm, arrived today approx 2.30 pm. £8.75 postage and all delivered by DPD. Very helpful staff and prompt delivery. I didn't get an inquisition from them unlike the first chandlers I rang.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Amazing tiny shoppe, I'll bet it's a wee gold mine.

It's the building next door too.

I picked up my batteries in person. I actualy said to them I was suprised no one had taken a sledge hammer to the building and stolen the stock. They pointed out that they would need a substantial lorry and it would take all night to load it so they thought there would be plenty of time to respond to the alarm

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, pete.i said:

My praise goes to Midland Chandlers whom a significant number of poster on here disparage. 1.6 meters of 4.5 inch (no idea why they mix meters and inches) of steel flue pipe. Double skinned chimney, cast iron roof collar, 5 inch to 4.5 inch adapter, rain cap and pretty brass ceiling ring. Ordered yesterday at approx 2.30 pm, arrived today approx 2.30 pm. £8.75 postage and all delivered by DPD. Very helpful staff and prompt delivery. I didn't get an inquisition from them unlike the first chandlers I rang.

I always find DPD to be excellent. Texts in advance with a 1 hour delivery slot, and a map of the van on its travels. Never failed to deliver during the promised hour.

When a business arranges a delivery contract with a delivery company the type, weight, and size of the goods to be delivered are the main variables. Its likely that batteries are expensive to deliver and the cheapest contractors will be the least reliable. 

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

When a business arranges a delivery contract with a delivery company the type, weight, and size of the goods to be delivered are the main variables. Its likely that batteries are expensive to deliver and the cheapest contractors will be the least reliable. 

in general anything containing a liquid is a nightmare to ship, changing that to a corrosive liquid will only reduce the number of carriers able to take it even further.

about the only thing I can think of that is harder to ship is aerosol cans.

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind the premises, in what way are the batteries 'top notch' please? 

How would you know, other than by measuring the terminal voltage? Just curious. 

Batteries are, as you know, a disposable commodity. I buy 180 AH units from ABS and abuse them dreadfully. They always last for four years, even with the abuse, and they always do me a good price (better than on the website) when I turn up at the shop. I usually pay the same price for a robust 180Ah battery from them as chandlers sell a so-called-leisure-battery

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

in general anything containing a liquid is a nightmare to ship, changing that to a corrosive liquid will only reduce the number of carriers able to take it even further.

about the only thing I can think of that is harder to ship is aerosol cans.

Try fireworks.