Praise where it is due.

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

I have just purchased a battery from Alpha Batteries and paid for next day delivery, I just got the order in before the 3pm deadline. The couriers failed to deliver and as far as I am concerned told a downright lie when they said they had attempted to deliverer it but were unable. I kept Alpha informed of progress (or not).

I emailed them just after 9pm last night ad before 7am this morning about the failure to deliver. They were right on the ball, refunded the next day deliver cost and ensured the battery arrived just after noon today.

I made an emailed technical query upon receipt and had a phone call within minutes, again first class service.

So, I would be very happy to order from Alpha again but would not recommend anyone use XPD couriers unless they have a very large stick with which to beat them when they foul up. Its how companies behave when problems occur that illustrates good customer service.

• Greenie 2

I've had trouble with XPD too. They give you a load of old toffee about precise delivery time and even your drivers name. I tracked my package for ages AFTER they're precise time of delivery, watching the van pass close by me, north, south, east and west of me several times. Next day I contacted the courier with all the numbers and stuff telling them what was going on. They said the driver Jamie is ill and another driver is on the job. I said that if it had been anyone else they would have been in touch with trading standards. That did it, I instantly got a phone call.  Your delivery van with your parcel is just entering your lane.  I walked down the lane to meet the van. Along it came. I asked the driver if his name was Jamie, he said yes it is, I said your supposed to be off work ill. He said that must be another Jamie.

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have bought batteries from ABS (Advance Battery Supplies I think), and they were superb. They delivery agent let them down.

I always buy from Advance Battery Supplies, but I collect in person, because they are local to me.

The batteries are always top notch, but if ever there was a company whose website and premises are at odds with each other....

• Greenie 1

Just now, mayalld said:

I always buy from Advance Battery Supplies, but I collect in person, because they are local to me.

The batteries are always top notch, but if ever there was a company whose website and premises are at odds with each other....

More please. Do their premises leave much to be desired?

18 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I won't be trying XPD but I'd certainly advise against "My Hermes" (although I don't know about yours...).

Parcel Force are very reliable in my experience.

I've used Hermes & Parcel Force & Collect Plus to send hundreds of parcels. Parcel Force & Hermes both have both lost only 1 parcel each. Collect plus have lost none. I still think Hermes gives the best value service, maybe I've just been lucky.

17 minutes ago, mayalld said:

I have used Manbat at  Dunkirk Lane, Hyde, next to Peak Forest canal, a few times. Their warehouse is amazing- palleted batteries on racking going 30ft in the air. The guys there reckoned they had about 300 tonnes of stock, that's a lot of Ampere-Hours. It would be very practical to collect  by boat ( If the canal was open, which is not currently(!) the case).

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As long as when the batteries are delivered they're in nice tidy boxes eh! I suppose it doesn't matter what the state of the warehouse/shop/storage is like.

I agree, as long as you get good service at the right price, does it matter if the premises are scruffy.  It's probably why they are good value because the overheads are lower.

4 minutes ago, billh said:

I have used Manbat at  Dunkirk Lane, Hyde, next to Peak Forest canal, a few times. Their warehouse is amazing- palleted batteries on racking going 30ft in the air. The guys there reckoned they had about 300 tonnes of stock, that's a lot of Ampere-Hours. It would be very practical to collect  by boat ( If the canal was open, which is not currently(!) the case).

I wouldn't want one from the very bottom of that 30ft high pile.

Edited by bizzard

Just now, bizzard said:

I wouldn't want one from the very bottom of that 30ft hight pile.

Oh really, I thought that would be the very one you would want, just to see them de-palletise and pick yours from the lowest row. :)

4 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I agree, as long as you get good service at the right price, does it matter if the premises are scruffy.  It's probably why they are good value because the overheads are lower.

No criticism intended. I am a regular customer.

It just makes me giggle that a company can portray a really slick online image, that is divorced from reality

35 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I won't be trying XPD but I'd certainly advise against "My Hermes" (although I don't know about yours...).

Parcel Force are very reliable in my experience.

With hermes how good or bad they are will depend on your local driver.

in our case the service locally is excellent, to the point that I will choose one supplier over another if I know that one delivers via hermes (favouring the Co that use hermes)

we know that parcels will arrive at around 3 PM and if we're not in to receive them they will be placed in a shed we use for log storage and the normally open padlock will be locked

I reckon most of these courier van drivers are ex dustmen, they rarely close your gate.

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh really, I thought that would be the very one you would want, just to see them de-palletise and pick yours from the lowest row. :)

Yes, I'd have half a mind to do that and then change my mind, fancying one from the top instead.

Edited by bizzard
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, mayalld said:

Never mind the premises, in what way are the batteries 'top notch' please? 

How would you know, other than by measuring the terminal voltage? Just curious.