Advice boat repair

Slipper_Chris

Featured Posts

Hello,

Our engine won't start. It looks like there's charge in the batteries but it's not turning over. As newbies I think it's best to get a repairman out to look at it.

My question is - is it possible to sign up for RCR Breakdown Cover if you the boat already has a problem? I think this might be the cheapest option to get a mechanic out to look at what's wrong.

Any advice very welcome. 

4 minutes ago, Slipper_Chris said:

Hello,

Our engine won't start. It looks like there's charge in the batteries but it's not turning over. As newbies I think it's best to get a repairman out to look at it.

My question is - is it possible to sign up for RCR Breakdown Cover if you the boat already has a problem? I think this might be the cheapest option to get a mechanic out to look at what's wrong.

Any advice very welcome. 

Put a jump lead across from your leisure batteries to your starter battery, if it still doesn't start - its almost certainly not the battery.

Check all wiring connection (including the big ones to your batteries and starter motor)

Have you an ignition light ?

Do you have a stop / decompression handle ? (is it pushed fully in)

Yeah I joined when I had a Problem, you have to pay extra though, can't remember how much ,so ring and find out, and judge against calling out a local engineer. If there is no rush, probably better to ring round local engineers.

1 minute ago, Timx said:

Yeah I joined when I had a Problem, you have to pay extra though, can't remember how much ,so ring and find out, and judge against calling out a local engineer mechanic. If there is no rush, probably better to ring round local engineers mechanics.

I notice that the OP used the appropriate term.

Yes to actually answer your question this is copied directly from the RCR web site.

• etc.

If I breakdown and I am not a member can I join?

You can still join but you will have to join at the minimum of the silver level and there is a one off call out charge of £75 (non-refundable) for joining on a breakdown. Membership is normally activated 72 hours from when an application is received, so it is cheaper to join RCR before you breakdown. A surcharge of £30 is applicable for callouts within the M25 ring, due to the additional costs of parking, congestion charges, emission charges etc.

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover/faqs/

2 hours ago, Slipper_Chris said:

Hello,

Any advice very welcome. 

This could be simple or more complicated but unless you give a general location we can not advise about reliable tradesmen or a member offer to visit and help. So roughly where is this boat?

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Is Juliemack169 the new one line troll that knows everything on every topic, or a abbreviated genius?

in response to wotevers ???, juliemack was a spammer reported at 5.30am this morning for about 10 posts of single word or two word replies to various random threads and then finally a link to whatever she was selling or trying to infect you with (your computer not you yourself...)

9 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

From my experiences with RCR neither term is anywhere near applicable.

I've called them out 3 times in 2 years.

- Engine not starting. Turned out to be a crack in one of the unions on the diesel pipe feed. Good work for the mechanic/engineer to spot it. Good result.

- Broken throttle cable. Fixed within 3 hrs. Good result

- Problem with the alternator getting hot. Problem with the Sterling AtoB that was beyond the knowledge of the mechanic/engineer.

Overall, I am very impressed with RCR as they have twice got us out of problems that stopped us moving. For me, well worth us being a member.

I think they should be good at sorting out how to start the engine. Worth paying £75 if you cant find a local engineer...but if you tell us where you are, perhaps someone can point you towards one.

• Greenie 1

I have called out RCR 3 times in six years.

Engine alternator replaced - foc parts and labour

Broken engine mounting they replaced a pair - foc parts and labour

and a throttle cable I had to pay for.

I am impressed with their service so far.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

in response to wotevers ???, juliemack was a spammer reported at 5.30am this morning for about 10 posts of single word or two word replies to various random threads and then finally a link to whatever she was selling or trying to infect you with (your computer not you yourself...)

Ahah! I guessed that might be the case :)

Thanks. 

GMW included RCR basic membership in their insurance policy at my renewal in September. presumably, RCR offer it at no cost, on the basis that they hope many will upgrade. I am considering upgrading but, given that I havent broken down, and been unable to get myself going, in 7 years of narrowboating, I might just suffer the costs of a call out, reassured that I have their number, and they will come when I call.