Dog pooh bags

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Now if they were really that bothered about it I should have thought scooping it up was a better option

We've done that in our Parish. Short term; the caretakers picking up the poo wins. Longer term the "shitiest Street award" wins out as we shame people into actually taking the poo away (admittedly there is a difference between the streets of a town where there is no "stick and flick" and a towpath where there might be).

For the record, our Parish of 12,500 people has 74 dog poo bins and we pay just over £2 per bin per week for them to be emptied.

4 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

For the record, our Parish of 12,500 people has 74 dog poo bins and we pay just over £2 per bin per week for them to be emptied.

Or about 8 grand a year, which tallies with my earlier post. Dog bin moaners need to hoist that in IMHO.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

last time this topic came up someone was complaining that it is not acceptable even to leave poo in the brambles 'cos some poor bloke would come along with a strimmer and get covered in sh*t. .......      of course with the council budget cutbacks this is no longer a problem.  B)

That was me :)

I was more trying to suggest people need to consider disposal areas carefully that's all.

As I said before dog poo really doesn't taste too good

10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I was more trying to suggest people need to consider disposal areas carefully that's all.

It's true though - when you're strimming you get covered in a 'fine film' of grass add a dog poo to that mix and it's not pleasant  - but somebody has to do it. 

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I thought professionals doing strimming should wear full face protection?

Our local council bods certainly do.

I concede that if Simon does 'business' close into a hedgerow it gets left.

I've never trained him to do it but 9 times out of 10 he does. 

One less plastic bag used each walk, unless he does it where it would easily be stood on of course.

8 minutes ago, MJG said:

It's not perfect, plus being covered in a fine spray of dog poo is never a pleasant experience even if the PPE works

10 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It's true though - when you're strimming you get covered in a 'fine film' of grass add a dog poo to that mix and it's not pleasant  - but somebody has to do it. 

And a mulch of slugs,frogs and various other small slow moving critters

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MJG said:

I recall a piece in the Indy a couple of years ago in which a council worker admitted that, in hot weather, the PPE became unendurably hot, especially the face shield, so you just put up with the dog poo spray. He reckoned you could tell if the dog had been fed Chappie because of the fishy taste... ?

I've said in a previous thread on the subject that this is surely the way to go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32495924

Dog mess DNA test to launch in Barking and Dagenham

·                                 28 April 2015

·                                 Share this with Facebook

·                                 Share this with Messenger

·                                 Share this with Twitter

·                                 Share this with Email

Dog poo DNA tests to catch owners who fail to clean up their pet's mess are to be launched in an east London borough for the first time in the UK.

Barking and Dagenham council will fine "selfish" owners £80 in the move, which will roll out from September 2016.

DNA is collected by a quick "painless" swab, the council said, and the dog's profile is added to a registry.

Genetic information is then taken from dog mess and compared to the database. The tests are 99.9% accurate.

'A selfish few'

It will make the registering of dog's DNA compulsory from April 2016. Wardens will patrol the borough's 27 parks and open spaces and test any rogue mess.

Any dogs not registered on the database will also be flagged up at this stage.

The council will now look at current legislation and at running a pilot scheme and if successful, introduce the changes in 2016.

DNA will be registered with PooPrints UK, a service which started in the US.

Councillor Darren Rodwell said the council was the first to get "get really tough on dog mess and pet owners who do not act in a socially responsible way".

He added: "The vast majority of dog owners in Barking and Dagenham are socially responsible but unfortunately a selfish few think it's OK to not clean up after their pet.

"Dog mess not only spoils our streets - it's also a health hazard and especially to young children."

And it appears to have had some sucess

https://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/news/dog-fouling-in-parks-down-by-60-per-cent-following-dna-pilot-scheme-in-barking-and-dagenham-1-4898517

Dog fouling in parks down by 60 per cent following DNA pilot scheme in Barking and Dagenham

PUBLISHED: 15:56 20 February 2017 | UPDATED: 15:56 20 February 2017

A pilot scheme to reduce dog mess in parks has proved successful, Barking and Dagenham’s council leader has said.Cllr Darren Rodwell explained that since the dog DNA trials were rolled out in Mayesbrook Park and Barking Park, the amount of fouling has decreased by 60 per cent.

The scheme is set to be expanded, with green spaces close to a number of the borough’s schools next on the list.

Owners walking their dogs in the areas subject to the public space protection orders have to pay £30 for a DNA swab, so that offenders who fail to clean up after their pet can be tracked down.

It means that people don't have to be caught in the act which is extremely difficult to do and involves a lot of evidence gathering and a warden being in the right place at the right time. It can be done retrospectively.

I would gladly become a volunteer warden!

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

I've said in a previous thread on the subject that this is surely the way to go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32495924

And it appears to have had some sucess

https://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/news/dog-fouling-in-parks-down-by-60-per-cent-following-dna-pilot-scheme-in-barking-and-dagenham-1-4898517

It means that people don't have to be caught in the act which is extremely difficult to do and involves a lot of evidence gathering and a warden being in the right place at the right time. It can be done retrospectively.

I would gladly become a volunteer warden!

Well, if you're going to try out such a scheme, Barking is the place!

• Haha 1

As a licensed  dog home boarder and dog walker I pick every last one up some 50-100 a week .if I see another walker not doing so I  offer them a bag if they need one if they don't pick it up  ,I report them cos there anti social bellends

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Possibly your Parish Council might want to rethink this one.

With increasing use of incineration instead of landfill a lot of District/Borough Councils are labelling their ordinary general waste bins as suitable for bagged dog waste and are removing the separate dog bins.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Possibly your Parish Council might want to rethink this one.

With increasing use of incineration instead of landfill a lot of District/Borough Councils are labelling their ordinary general waste bins as suitable for bagged dog waste and are removing the separate dog bins.

You are correct but litter bins are local council and dog poo bins are parish. There are a lot more of the latter than the former.

2 hours ago, Nut said:

As a licensed  dog home boarder and dog walker I pick every last one up some 50-100 a week .if I see another walker not doing so I  offer them a bag if they need one if they don't pick it up  ,I report them cos there anti social bellends

so glad you manage to pick up every one.    I find it difficult at times to keep an eye on both my dogs - if I'm picking up after one chances are the other one is doing his business somewhere out of sight.  Most dog walkers have at least 4 dogs, so I don't believe it is possible to be 100% perfect.  However I will give you the benefit of the doubt and commend you on your incredible powers of observation.

You must the same as I do, see joggers and cyclists along the towpath oblivious to what their dogs following behind are up to,  and I've yet to see any of them carrying a full poo bag. I doubt many of them (if any) ever bother to look back, and if they did happen to see them they probably wouldn't bother going back to deal with it.

I also see people walking along concentrating so much on their various hand held devices they are oblivious to what their dog is doing.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

so glad you manage to pick up every one.    I find it difficult at times to keep an eye on both my dogs - if I'm picking up after one chances are the other one is doing his business somewhere out of sight.  Most dog walkers have at least 4 dogs, so I don't believe it is possible to be 100% perfect.  However I will give you the benefit of the doubt and commend you on your incredible powers of observation.

I walk up to 5-6 dogs at a time not all off the leash so yes I do, have I missed one? of course I have but what I have never done is think  oh bolhox I cant be bothered

1 hour ago, Nut said:

I walk up to 5-6 dogs at a time not all off the leash so yes I do, have I missed one? of course I have but what I have never done is think  oh bolhox I cant be bothered

nice to find out you ARE human after all .........................  that's all I was getting at.