Dog pooh bags

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

The indiscriminate use of poo bags, insisted upon by many councils, is partly to blame for the problem.  In our local informal wooded parks, in locations where no maintenance is ever undertaken and the brambles and nettles grow wild, I regularly see dog walkers striding in to find and retrieve their dog's poo.  Having bagged it they often leave it at the edge of the footpath for the poo fairy to collect.  INSANE!   Poo bags preserve poo, nature quickly degrades poo.  

14 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

The indiscriminate use of poo bags, insisted upon by many councils, is partly to blame for the problem.  In our local informal wooded parks, in locations where no maintenance is ever undertaken and the brambles and nettles grow wild, I regularly see dog walkers striding in to find and retrieve their dog's poo.  Having bagged it they often leave it at the edge of the footpath for the poo fairy to collect.  INSANE!   Poo bags preserve poo, nature quickly degrades poo.  

The flip side of course is bagging your dogs poo taking it to the poo bin only to find it over flowing as the local council have decided not to empty it. 

Different places require different solutions ,footpaths & areas in full view pick it up & dispose of it properly not hang it on or fling it over the hedge  if its not directly in viewing treading range if it"s possible to move it into the hedge bottom or other out of the way place as said plastic preserves it

• Greenie 1

Spotted some years ago on the Macc. Photo taken in passing, so rather blurred.

dogpoo.JPG.6f397a03424c0e9ebe5f485eb3bb1792.JPG

Some regular dog walking areas end up with bushes and hedges festooned with neatly tied dog poo bags on the branches. Why?!! They look like Christmas trees, but rather less fragrant.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The flip side of course is bagging your dogs poo taking it to the poo bin only to find it over flowing as the local council have decided not to empty it. 

Ah, then you're perfectly entitled to hang it in a tree I suppose?

My local National Trust woodland has a few dog bins which the Trust staff have to empty and then the Trust must pay thousands, yes thousands, of pounds a year to dispose of the arisings appropriately from that one relatively small area alone. Blaming someone else for there not being enough bins or for bins not being emptied quickly enough, particularly when you've contributed nothing towards the huge expense, is rather shallow.  Rather, we should be grateful that someone has gone to the trouble and expense of providing a facility which alleviates us of the burden of taking our litter home.  Leaving litter, including dog doo bags, anywhere in the environment is plain selfish.

Actually,  the Trust prefer "stick and flick" into the hedgerow to bagging and binning dog doo, although this is perhaps not appropriate everywhere.  What isn't appropriate anywhere is leaving it for someone else to clear up, even if there's a full bin or no bin.  I don't enjoy carrying bags of dog doo on my boat for mile after mile whilst I try to spot a dog bin, but it's my dog, so it's my responsibility to clear up after it and dispose of its waste safely. There's no acceptable excuse for not doing so.

• Greenie 3

Unfortunately some people are just dirty, ignorant sods who shouldn’t be allowed to keep an animal at all. Our local council provides bins with free bags at the 3 bridges on the walk through the village. Some people manage to bag it and leave the bag on the towpath, some actually get as far as the bin then drop it there because lifting the lid is too much effort. Of course the hardcore twats do neither and leave the crap on the path adding to the one they left on the last walk. That’s what really pisses me off, they’re all local people who do the same walk twice a day and seem oblivious to the stinking mess left behind. 

We even have one local charmer that wipes their dogs arse with kitchen roll and stuffs it in the hedgerow! 

I often find myself cleaning up after someone else as I’m embarrassed as a dog owner and kind of feel responsible. Amazingly the shitiest stretch of path has just been awarded a “Green Flag” by CRT. Whatever one of those is! 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My local National Trust woodland has a few dog bins which the Trust staff have to empty and then the Trust must pay thousands, yes thousands, of pounds a year to dispose of the arisings appropriately from that one relatively small area alone. Blaming someone else for there not being enough bins or for bins not being emptied quickly enough, particularly when you've contributed nothing towards the huge expense, is rather shallow.  Rather, we should be grateful that someone has gone to the trouble and expense of providing a facility which alleviates us of the burden of taking our litter home.  Leaving litter, including dog doo bags, anywhere in the environment is plain selfish.

Actually,  the Trust prefer "stick and flick" into the hedgerow to bagging and binning dog doo, although this is perhaps not appropriate everywhere.  What isn't appropriate anywhere is leaving it for someone else to clear up, even if there's a full bin or no bin.  I don't enjoy carrying bags of dog doo on my boat for mile after mile whilst I try to spot a dog bin, but it's my dog, so it's my responsibility to clear up after it and dispose of its waste safely. There's no acceptable excuse for not doing so.

Indeed, we carry a Tupperware container on the boat, just to put dog pooh bags in until we find a suitable bin to dispose of.

Although it is left on the front deck, strangely no one has ever stolen it. 

51 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, we carry a Tupperware container on the boat, just to put dog pooh bags in until we find a suitable bin to dispose of.

Although it is left on the front deck, strangely no one has ever stolen it. 

Or just give it to someone who has a compost loo.?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not at all and I'm not sure where my comment implied that :huh:

If we can't find a suitable bin for our dogs poo we take it home and bin it.

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Unfortunately some people are just dirty, ignorant sods who shouldn’t be allowed to keep an animal at all. Our local council provides bins with free bags at the 3 bridges on the walk through the village. Some people manage to bag it and leave the bag on the towpath, some actually get as far as the bin then drop it there because lifting the lid is too much effort. Of course the hardcore twats do neither and leave the crap on the path adding to the one they left on the last walk. That’s what really pisses me off, they’re all local people who do the same walk twice a day and seem oblivious to the stinking mess left behind. 

We even have one local charmer that wipes their dogs arse with kitchen roll and stuffs it in the hedgerow! 

I often find myself cleaning up after someone else as I’m embarrassed as a dog owner and kind of feel responsible. Amazingly the shitiest stretch of path has just been awarded a “Green Flag” by CRT. Whatever one of those is! 

Some of the villages we go to on the boat provide poo bags and bins to put them in. Still doesn't stop people leaving their dogs poo scattered around. 

There is someone on the Chesterfield Canal at Misterton who goes around spraying the dog poo with paint. Now if they were really that bothered about it I should have thought scooping it up was a better option. But each to their own.

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

It is mad isnt it.

Where we walk our dog, there is normally a sign about it, but almost always no reason to bag it. Stick and flick at most, often as he tends to go in the shub just off the path, no action required.

However there is still a trail of used (and unused) plastic bags almost where ever you go! The (normal black mixed waste) bins at the edges of the woods are often level filled with the stuff. Mad.

Obviously if its on the path we move it, and in a built up area or park where there will be kids, bag it and bin it.

But yes, seen the photo many times.

Daniel

5 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

This is genuine...from a friend of mine.

Take care out there...

I have no idea who the horse owner is nor do I know the horses in question or the field - But as some one who has worked with horses and is pretty experienced with them I really can not see a horse eating dog poo; I believe that the people who keep their horses in that field are sick to the back teeth of people throwing their poo bags over into the field, and rightly so, but I believe that they wrote the sigh to scare people in to not doing it any more. I prolly shouldn't say that cos now every one will start throwing poo bags back in the field - Don't Do It. 

I'm sure nobody wants to hear them but I have some very rational explanation for why I believe this and if any body wants just ask I will happily share them. 

Shared several locks with a boat on the GU a few months back, the 'lady of the boat' and I were in charge of the tiller, and struck up a conversation, as you do.

She mentioned she uses biodegradable poo bags, and hangs them on trees for them to degrade. We didn't have much of a conversation after I replied (perhaps sometimes I'm too outspoken for my own good :( )!

But.... thinking about it, she did genuinely think what she was doing was correct, and in a way, I can follow her thinking. Wonder what is written on the packaging of the bags?

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Greenie 1

There is a bit about here https://www.equisupermarketblog.co.uk/dog-poo-bags-dangerous-horses/

3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Shared several locks with a boat on the GU a few months back, the 'lady of the boat' and I were in charge of the tiller, struck up a conversation, as you do.

She mentioned she uses biodegradable poo bag, and hangs them on trees for them to degrade. We didn't have much of a conversation after I replied (perhaps sometimes I'm too outspoken for my own good :( )!

But.... thinking about, she did genuinely think what she was doing was correct, and in a way, I can follow her thinking. Wonder what is written on the packaging of the bags?

Just the same as people believe that "Wet wipes" are flushable as it says so on the packages. Yes the bags degrade, but they are still plastic only tiny bits of plastic

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

She mentioned she uses biodegradable poo bags, and hangs them on trees for them to degrade. We didn't have much of a conversation after I replied (perhaps sometimes I'm too outspoken for my own good :( )!

But.... thinking about it, she did genuinely think what she was doing was correct, and in a way, I can follow her thinking. 

I wonder what she expects to happen to the contents when the bag degrades.

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Shared several locks with a boat on the GU a few months back, the 'lady of the boat' and I were in charge of the tiller, struck up a conversation, as you do.

She mentioned she uses biodegradable poo bag, and hangs them on trees for them to degrade. We didn't have much of a conversation after I replied (perhaps sometimes I'm too outspoken for my own good :( )!

But.... thinking about, she did genuinely think what she was doing was correct, and in a way, I can follow her thinking. Wonder what is written on the packaging of the bags?

I use compostable nappy sacks / biobag compostable dog poo bags and just checking the boxes it doesn't actually say how they should be composted just that they are; but the process of composting requires moisture and warmth they will not start to break down it they are hanging from a tree :angry: some times I will throw a poo in a compostable bag some where discreet like under a bush but very rarely - compostable bags are not a get out of jail free card for leaving your poo behind.

Plus there is a big difference between degradable plastic, biodegradable, and compostable. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not at all and I'm not sure where my comment implied that :huh:

If we can't find a suitable bin for our dogs poo we take it home and bin it.

Some of the villages we go to on the boat provide poo bags and bins to put them in. Still doesn't stop people leaving their dogs poo scattered around. 

There is someone on the Chesterfield Canal at Misterton who goes around spraying the dog poo with paint. Now if they were really that bothered about it I should have thought scooping it up was a better option. But each to their own.

Yes I’ve seen the paint man further up the Chesterfield on the stretch I’ve mentioned. He works for CRT, not sure if that’s paid or voluntary.

He might need glasses soon though, a guilty looking stick got ringed several times on his patrols! 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is a bit about here https://www.equisupermarketblog.co.uk/dog-poo-bags-dangerous-horses/

Just the same as people believe that "Wet wipes" are flushable as it says so on the packages. Yes the bags degrade, but they are still plastic only tiny bits of plastic

I also buy compostable wipes and I know people seem to think they can flush these and they'll just break down in the pipes but they don't, they can not start to compost in the sewer and cause all the same problems as all other wipes (even the one that say flushable). 

I have never known horses to eat dog poo - an empty bag may prove tempting though. 

Edited by Tumshie

last time this topic came up someone was complaining that it is not acceptable even to leave poo in the brambles 'cos some poor bloke would come along with a strimmer and get covered in sh*t. .......      of course with the council budget cutbacks this is no longer a problem.  B)

The degradable poo bags still take a year or so to decompose but are obviously better than non degradable bags and cost about the same, can't see why shops are allowed to sell non degradable bags.

I think putting bags of poo into poo bins should be the last resort, putting compostable waste into precious landfill is daft.

If I'm on a long country walk and the dog craps on the path then I use a bag but am not going to carry it for miles, I wait for the next suitable bit of soft earth and dig a hole with my foot to bury it.

On the morning doggie wee and poo walk I take a little spade with me (the poo shovel) and bury the poo. I feel really bad about digging holes because quite often I cut an earthworm in half ?

Couple of years ago a youngish bloke shouted at me for burying poo, said it was disgusting and I should use the poo bins!

............Dave

6 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

She mentioned she uses biodegradable poo bags

There is no such thing as biodegradable plastic, according to my ex. As a marine biologist she has been banging on about this for years to me. Apparently the supposedly biodegradable bags just disintegrate in sunlight into ever smaller pieces of plastic so you can't see them. All the bits are still there. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is no such thing as biodegradable plastic, according to my ex. As a marine biologist she has been banging on about this for years to me. Apparently the supposedly biodegradable bags just disintegrate in sunlight into ever smaller pieces of plastic so you can't see them. All the bits are still there. 

I suspect your poor ex has been tearing her hair out for years - even where the plastic is concerned.    :huh:

Biodegradable plastics take three to six months to decompose fully. That’s much quicker than synthetic counterparts that take several hundred years. Exactly how long a biodegradable bag takes to break down depends on various factors, such as temperature and the amount of moisture present.

But the bags aren’t always as environmentally friendly as they seem. They’re made from similar petrochemical-based materials to conventional plastic, only with compounds added that cause them to disintegrate gradually in the presence of light or oxygen. They often then degrade into a sludge of toxic chemicals.

Bioplastics made of cornstarch and other plant-based materials are a better bet. They give off CO2 as they decompose, but they’re merely expelling carbon locked in by the plant matter that originally formed them. The net effect on the environment is therefore close to zero.

Taken from https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/how-long-do-biodegradable-bags-take-to-decompose/

Edited by ditchcrawler
Trying to make the text all the same. Failed