Sea water levels

GUMPY

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Thorfast said:

Old News.............well it is if you go back far enough.

In Viking Times the North Sea was about 1metre higher than it is now

I'm not sure it was - I think Scandanvia was lower that it is now.  It's slowly been 'rebounding' from the weight of ice on it during the last ice age, so it's not the sea that's risen but the land

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Wotever happened to the North Atlantic Conveyor? You know, the flow of seawater from the carribean that flows across the surface of the Atlantic bringing the warm water up (ie the Gulf stream) and then sinking near Iceland/Greenland and then returning back at low depths to the Gulf. That's what keeps us in a temperate climate. Pour fresh water in at the top of the conveyor (ie Greenland's melting ice) and it stops the conveyor.....and we have an ice age and we all get cold. That's the theory of a number of the ice-ages we have seen in NW Europe. Ok, the ice is melting now but no one seems to be talking about the conveyor shutting down. Ok, if the air temp goes up by 5°C all over the planet, it will have a big effect on climate but if the North Atalantic conveyor gives up, then that 5°C will mean nowt. Give it another 200 years and we will be in another ice age so very difficult to go and get pumped out. Maybe a composting bog is the answer?

I think you'll find the theory is that it would be diverted not shut down alltogether so yes the UK would become colder (so the theory goes).  However just because our little corner of the planet gets colder does mean the next ice age is coming.  For that we probably need a friendly passing asteroid to smash into us.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

But they didn't need an extending probe as there are several non-contact ways of measuring surface temperatures.

You will tell us you believe a man has walked on the moon next!!

13 hours ago, JJPHG said:

I think you'll find the theory is that it would be diverted not shut down alltogether so yes the UK would become colder (so the theory goes).  However just because our little corner of the planet gets colder does mean the next ice age is coming.  For that we probably need a friendly passing asteroid to smash into us.

Problem is that they are just theories with not a lot of facts. The 'conveyor' has slowed at times in the last 20 years but no one knows what could happen. No one really knows if it would be cut off. If it was, then we would see weather that other countries at 55-60 degrees north see.....which is bloomin' cold.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Regarding the ship to get mankind to Venus.  ?

T'was on the good ship Venus

By god you should have seen us

Time for my coat!

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Doesn't it still make sense to reduce the possibility of its happening, then?

Oh, absolutely. I am sure that the natural cycle of weather patterns stop and start this conveyor over the centuries giving rise to the various 'ice ages' and 'mini ice ages' ie the Thames freezing over and maybe all we are doing is speeding up effect by melting the ice sooner than it would normally do.

Let's face it, there are just too many people on this planet.

20 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Time for my coat!

Why have you written the last two lines in Morse? ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Now there's an idea!

.----. - .-- .- ... / --- -. / - .... . / --. --- --- -.. / ... .... .. .--. / ...- . -. ..- ... --..-- / -... -.-- / --. --- -.. / -.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / ... . . -. / ..- ... --..-- / - .... . / ..-. .. --. ..- .-. . .... . .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / .-- .... --- .-. . / .. -. / -... . -.. / .- -. -.. / - .... . / -- .- ... - / - .... . / -.-. .- .--. - .- .. -. .----. ... / .--. . -. .. ...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

.----. - .-- .- ... / --- -. / - .... . / --. --- --- -.. / ... .... .. .--. / ...- . -. ..- ... --..-- / -... -.-- / --. --- -.. / -.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / ... . . -. / ..- ... --..-- / - .... . / ..-. .. --. ..- .-. . .... . .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / .-- .... --- .-. . / .. -. / -... . -.. / .- -. -.. / - .... . / -- .- ... - / - .... . / -.-. .- .--. - .- .. -. .----. ... / .--. . -. .. ...

Time for you to get your coat. I only needed to read the last word to recognise the 'poem':)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Time for my coat!

Every time I see the ex-Challenger Venus I’m tempted to ask after the Captain’s wife, Mabel.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

How come you can do morse Biscuits? Is it because your da da did it?

• Haha 1

On 28/11/2018 at 14:28, Dr Bob said:

Oh, absolutely. I am sure that the natural cycle of weather patterns stop and start this conveyor over the centuries giving rise to the various 'ice ages' and 'mini ice ages' ie the Thames freezing over and maybe all we are doing is speeding up effect by melting the ice sooner than it would normally do.

Let's face it, there are just too many people on this planet.

Before about ten thousand years ago, the conveyor used to stop regularly and there were swings in average European temperatures of 10deg C or so on a regular (couple of thousand year or so) basis. There's a good reason to believe that the stable nature of climate since then (due to a historically unusual stability in the North Atlantic Conveyor) allowed the growth of farming and civilisation in Northern Europe.

In short, it's normal behaviour for the Gulf Stream to collapse regularly - we live in an unusually stable time. And climate change runs a small risk of tipping us back into instability.

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 1