Sea water levels

GUMPY

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

They will be welcome if they have boats. Will be plenty of room for them.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Loddon said:

End of the century allegedly

Their the kind of predictions I like, you know the ones anyone can make because there will be nobody left alive that heard of them ( first time round ) Must go put some more coal on the stove its damp outside today due to global warming.

Wotever happened to the North Atlantic Conveyor? You know, the flow of seawater from the carribean that flows across the surface of the Atlantic bringing the warm water up (ie the Gulf stream) and then sinking near Iceland/Greenland and then returning back at low depths to the Gulf. That's what keeps us in a temperate climate. Pour fresh water in at the top of the conveyor (ie Greenland's melting ice) and it stops the conveyor.....and we have an ice age and we all get cold. That's the theory of a number of the ice-ages we have seen in NW Europe. Ok, the ice is melting now but no one seems to be talking about the conveyor shutting down. Ok, if the air temp goes up by 5°C all over the planet, it will have a big effect on climate but if the North Atalantic conveyor gives up, then that 5°C will mean nowt. Give it another 200 years and we will be in another ice age so very difficult to go and get pumped out. Maybe a composting bog is the answer?

Down here in Ironbridge the old coal fired power station is now closed and redundant. There are various discussions  as to what to do with the thing, turbine house , great big chimney, cooling towers etc. I wrote a letter to the local rag suggesting that they run the thing in reverse, suck air in down the chimney, take out the CO2 and them puff the nice CO2 free air out of the cooling towers. Bung a big wind turbine on the top of the chimney to power it. After all its burnt god knows how many tons of coal over the years. Don't think it was ever printed and it was half in jest but as a last resort it might just come to that.

It is Iikely that boaters will be able to reach Milton Keynes from Bedford due to climate change and rise in sea levels far earlier than the B&MK Waterways Trust can gain confirmation that a certain cattle run under Junction 13 of the M1 will be kept available for future use.

(Source  Waterways and Climate Change D.Trump)

8 hours ago, Bee said:

So it could rise by 5 degrees or so in 50 years time. That's pretty bad but of course then it stops doesn't it? Or does it just keep on accelerating until there are just a few scorpions wandering around in the dust. I have grandchildren just a few months old. Its a bit sobering to think that they could actually see the end of meaningful life on Earth. ( I was going to write the beginning of the end of meaningful life on Earth but I guess that's us)

CO2 forced global warming on Venus took it to 460 degrees C. Closer to the sun, but not much.

The science is settled. The peripheral details may not be (they rarely are in science) but man made climate change is real.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Their the kind of predictions I like, you know the ones anyone can make because there will be nobody left alive that heard of them ( first time round ) Must go put some more coal on the stove its damp outside today due to global warming.

I have passed a note to the Wife's grandson reminding him to check at the turn of the century when he reaches 83.

32 minutes ago, Onionman said:

CO2 forced global warming on Venus took it to 460 degrees C. Closer to the sun, but not much.

The science is settled. The peripheral details may not be (they rarely are in science) but man made climate change is real.

I'm not sure the science is settled as man has never been to Venus yet.