Sea water levels

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I suppose if you added in the Greenland ice cap, Siberia, Canada, all the glaciers , Norway and that little bit in the shady part of Ben Nevis then that could well do it. If you're going to see Venice best do it very soon. On the other hand if you're Donald Trump then its all some sort of conspiracy. (Science or Trump? now which one to believe?)

Edited by Bee

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Good news it looks like (according to todays report) sea levels could rise by more than 1metre.

How long will it take ?

I have been watching for evidence of  this some years  bit haven't noticed any change

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, KenK said:

Given that 71 percent of the Earth's surface is covered with water, how much is required to raise the sea level by 1 metre? Is there enough ice even if both the Artic and Antarctic melted completely?

Don’t overlook the fact that warmer water is less dense and therefore takes up a larger volume. Bearing in mind that rising sea levels are caused by climate change (warmer weather), a large part of the increase is caused simply by warmer seas. 

Wikipedia says...

At least since 1880, the average global sea level has been rising, with about an 18 cm rise from 1897 to 1997. More precise satellite based data show about a 7.5 cm accelerating rise in sea level from 1993 to 2017

An arguably more reliable source is The Royal Society: 

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/question-14/

56 minutes ago, KenK said:

Given that 71 percent of the Earth's surface is covered with water, how much is required to raise the sea level by 1 metre? Is there enough ice even if both the Artic and Antarctic melted completely?

Ken 

Start with your engine cold. Mark the level in the header tank. Run it for a while until the coolant is hot. Note the level in the coolant tank now. 

Another name for the header tank is "expansion tank". This is a clue.

MP.

16 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Start with your engine cold. Mark the level in the header tank. Run it for a while until the coolant is hot. Note the level in the coolant tank now. 

Another name for the header tank is "expansion tank". This is a clue.

MP.

Indeed true however so is the converse, when ice melts the water produced occupies less space than the ice.

Fortunately or not I suppose I won't be around to worry about it. 

If we get any more summers like the last one, well sorry but global warming bring it on?

Only joking.

Ken 

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You have to be fully outraged first. Are you outraged or merely somewhat miffed?

I think I'm somewhat outraged, but I'll have to consult the oracle first.No an oracle is not a small round boat!!!????

Edited by Ian F B
Spelling

41 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Don’t overlook the fact that warmer water is less dense and therefore takes up a larger volume. Bearing in mind that rising sea levels are caused by climate change (warmer weather), a large part of the increase is caused simply by warmer seas. 

Exactly right.  At current ocean temperatures a 1 deg rise decreases the density by about 0.0003% but given that the average ocean depth is about 3500m that equates to a rise of about 1m.  Melting ice doesn't contribute much at all.

8 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

Exactly right.  At current ocean temperatures a 1 deg rise decreases the density by about 0.0003% but given that the average ocean depth is about 3500m that equates to a rise of about 1m.  Melting ice doesn't contribute much at all.

I’m not sure how the calculation goes, but a cube with 3500m edges has a volume of 42.875 billion cubic metres. An increase of 0.0003% is 128,625 cubic metres. Spread over an area of a 3500m square, or 12.25 million square metres, this would have a depth of about a centimetre.

Happy to be proved wrong....... if I am :) 

6 minutes ago, KenK said:

Indeed true however so is the converse, when ice melts the water produced occupies less space than the ice.

Fortunately or not I suppose I won't be around to worry about it. 

If we get any more summers like the last one, well sorry but global warming bring it on?

Only joking.

Ken 

The ice in question is either floating , or on land (in Antartica) The stuff on land flows into the sea when it melts and adds directly to ocean volume. The stuff floating partially above the water, by exactly the ratio by which is shrinks on melting. Clever bloke that Archimedes.

Nice of you to worry about the people left dealing with this after you've gone.

Apparently it's all a scam cooked up by climate scientists to get funding anyway, so that's fine ?

MP.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, artleknock said:

Is this a good reason why I should pay thousands of pounds to reduce production of greenhouse gasses when the rest of the world ( that create 98% of the total gasses produced) should go their own merry way?

http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/overview.php?v=CO2andGHG1970-2016&dst=CO2pc&sort=des9

Gives per-capita emissions per country, sorted descending. There are quite a few countries doing worse than the UK, but many more emitting less. When we're at the bottom end of the table, we can start to get snotty about the others. I guess then they'll point out that, as the inventors of the industrial revolution, we have quite a large historic legacy to live down.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/overview.php?v=CO2andGHG1970-2016&dst=CO2pc&sort=des9

Gives per-capita emissions per country, sorted descending. There are quite a few countries doing worse than the UK, but many more emitting less. When we're at the bottom end of the table, we can start to get snotty about the others. I guess then they'll point out that, as the inventors of the industrial revolution, we have quite a large historic legacy to live down.

MP.

I was thinking further afeild the the EU. Take out of the figures what you want, but I find it interesting that Southern Ireland produces more CO2 per head than China, perhaps Eire should shove corks up their cows nether regions. :giggles:

11 minutes ago, artleknock said:

I was thinking further afeild the the EU. Take out of the figures what you want, but I find it interesting that Southern Ireland produces more CO2 per head than China, perhaps Eire should shove corks up their cows nether regions. :giggles:

The table covers every country in the world, doesn't it?  I suspect the figures for Ireland have to do with having next to no gas, next to no coal and lots of peat .

MP.

ETA. The main greenhouse gas coming out of cows arses is methane, not CO2. The table doesn't include that.

Edited by MoominPapa

Am I alone in finding it puzzling that when we have really hot weather caused by 'man-made (a bit sexist, that...) climate change', the water level in all the reservoirs (and, usually, our bit of canal) goes down, and yet we're going to be flooded by all the melting ice caps. Maybe all we need to do is dig a channel from the sea to our local canal and the levels will even out.

Or perhaps we ought to turn the sun down a bit?