Router

eid

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Steve42 said:

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but FIT A FUSE! if the new supply can supply more than the rated current, or connecting to the boat 12V, you must protect it.

I once had a 12V car to phone charger that kept popping it's fuse, so despite knowing better, fitted a slightly bigger one. It worked fine for a few minutes, long enough for me to think 

'they don't call me clever Steve nothing' it then caught fire and I had to yank it out the socket and chuck it out the window, still in the company car park with on lookers!

When asked what had happened,  I told them it was cheap rubbish and they shouldn't be allowed to sell such dangerous things......

It does already have a breaker on the socket but thanks for the advice (and laugh)

On 27/11/2018 at 22:50, jonathanA said:

add in some losses and you might as well run your inverter. The cello one would appear to be about 70% efficient so st least you should be able to warm your hands on it too... 

In case anyone is interested, I have the Cello adapter now and did some measurements on the current with the router on but idle, with and without the inverter (I probably should have used watts but anyway:

Inverter alone: 1.6amps

Inverter and router : 2.0amps

Router alone: 0.5a

I also got a lead for the laptop. Tested it on the password screen (so idle):

Inverter + laptop: 2.6a

laptop alone: 0.9a

Inverter/laptop/router: 3.0a

laptop/router: 1.4a

So, at least at idle the 12v adapters are as efficient as the 240v ones but I lose the inverter overhead and don't have to walk to the other end of the boat every time I want to use the internet.