Help with yesterday's lift out...

NB Esk

Featured Posts

Got this fella in to help us with a boat lift yesterday (Sunday).  Boat was a 65'x14' wide boat, estimated to weigh around 31 tons.  We had previously lifted it in, using extra ballast but at that point it was just a sail away.  Now it was back fully fitted and just over our limit.  Turned out when the crane weighed it, it was only 29 tons so we could just have managed it.  Ah well, better safe.....

IMG_0304.JPG

Had to turn my iPad to a jaunty angle to try to get it all in.  Made our 70 ton crane look small....?

• Happy 1

27 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Had to turn my iPad to a jaunty angle to try to get it all in.  Made our 70 ton crane look small....?

Hate to tell you this but you didn't get it all in!

Is that thing on the far right the base of a second jib?

56 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Got this fella in to help us with a boat lift yesterday (Sunday).  Boat was a 65'x14' wide boat, estimated to weigh around 31 tons.  We had previously lifted it in, using extra ballast but at that point it was just a sail away.  Now it was back fully fitted and just over our limit.  Turned out when the crane weighed it, it was only 29 tons so we could just have managed it.  Ah well, better safe.....

@Alan de Enfield likes photos of spreader bars.

I don't suppose you had @rusty69 there in that rubber suit as well did you?

• Happy 1

50 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That looks like engineering.

Lol, it looks like money to me, lots of money...?

46 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hate to tell you this but you didn't get it all in!

Is that thing on the far right the base of a second jib?

No Mike, that's our own crane.  Ours is 70 tons and the big boy is 220 tons.

41 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Just step back a bit further................................Oops.

I know, I was about as far away as I could get.  Here's another pic.

IMG_0306.JPG

• Happy 1

42 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

@Alan de Enfield likes photos of spreader bars.

I don't suppose you had @rusty69 there in that rubber suit as well did you?

Don't remind me.

Took the Cat down to Plymouth (Tor Point) for lift out and winter storage, told the Yard that the owners manual stated it must only be lifted with a spreader bar equal to the beam (23 foot) of the boat, the yard said "yer, yer, no problem we've lifted dozens of cats".

Arrived on the 15:00 hours tide crane was ready, straps slid under the boat as we arrived and all ready for the lift. I asked them where the spreader bar was and was told - "don't worry"

Gave him a copy of the manual which shows how it should / should not be done and what happens if it is done without a correctly sized spreader bar (the two hulls 'roll-up' & collapse around the centre)

He said "Hmmmm - never seen that before - I'm quite happy to lift it out for you but it will be at your risk" We decided that the insurance would be unlikely to pay-out for 'stupidity' so decided to not bother.

image.png.5763e01a61067c0a86034621aefc9389.png

This left the problem of where to go to get lifted out. Phoned around and found a place  up a very small 'drying creek' that handled Cats using a hydraulic trailer. We would need to go up the creek at high water, and then at low-water they would drive under it and lift it off the slip way.

The bad news was if we didn't get up there on the next tide we would have to wait for the next Spring tide, as that's the only time their slipway can be used and the tides were currently starting to 'fall'.

So, pitch dark at 3:00am we gingerly negotiated the 'creek' eventually found the slipway and drove up it until we touched bottom.

Big sighs of relief.

This was Friday / Saturday morning. They could not lift us out until Monday at Low-tide, so we stayed on board. SWMBO and No1 son went off to Plymouth in the tender and she brought the car around, whilst Son drove the tender back to the 'mother ship'.

It has taken over 2 months to get the re-fund from the original 'yard' but they have now paid up (cheque received last week).

So, all's well that ends well.

Sat on the slipway after a "traumatic night passage"

CAM00337.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't remind me.

Took the Cat down to Plymouth (Tor Point) for lift out and winter storage, told the Yard that the owners manual stated it must only be lifted with a spreader bar equal to the beam (23 foot) of the boat, the yard said "yer, yer, no problem we've lifted dozens of cats".

Arrived on the 15:00 hours tide crane was ready, straps slid under the boat as we arrived and all ready for the lift. I asked them where the spreader bar was and was told - "don't worry"

Gave him a copy of the manual which shows how it should / should not be done and what happens if it is done without a correctly sized spreader bar (the two hulls 'roll-up' & collapse around the centre)

He said "Hmmmm - never seen that before - I'm quite happy to lift it out for you but it will be at your risk" We decided that the insurance would be unlikely to pay-out for 'stupidity' so decided to not bother.

image.png.5763e01a61067c0a86034621aefc9389.png

This left the problem of where to go to get lifted out. Phoned around and found a place  up a very small 'drying creek' that handled Cats using a hydraulic trailer. We would need to go up the creek at high water, and then at low-water they would drive under it and lift it off the slip way.

So, pitch dark at 3:00am we gingerly negotiated the 'creek' eventually found the slipway and drove up it until we touched bottom.

Big sighs of relief.

This was Friday / Saturday morning. They could not lift us out until Monday at Low-tide, so we stayed on board. SWMBO and No1 son went off to Plymouth in the tender and she brought the car around, whilst Son drove the tender back to the 'mother ship'.

It has taken over 2 months to get the re-fund from the original 'yard' but they have now paid up (cheque received last week).

So, all's well that ends well.

Are you saying they were going to lift with the straps just on the hook block?  :blink:

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Holy Shnikes - such fun. ?

Lol, I love new words....?

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Are you saying they were going to lift with the straps just on the hook block?  :blink:

They had an assortment of spreader bars - the longest one being about 10-12 feet. I asked where the long one was and they said they didn't have one and it 'would be fine'. I asked if the could make one suitable from some of the 'stuff' lying about in the yard (RSJ's etc) and was told no.

The Cat "Lightship" weight is a tad over 7 tonnes, and fully laden for cruising about 10 tonnes.

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They had an assortment of spreader bars - the longest one being about 10-12 feet. I asked where the long one was and they said they didn't have one and it 'would be fine'. I asked if the could make one suitable from some of the 'stuff' lying about in the yard (RSJ's etc) and was told no.

The Cat "Lightship" weight is a tad over 7 tonnes, and fully laden for cruising about 10 tonnes.

That's a lot of fuel, food and booze....

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

HMS Dragon: Three tonnes of hashish seized in the Gulf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46346367

It's one of the Royal Navy's biggest drugs busts in the region this year.

The bags of drugs seized on the dhow - a type of sailing vessel - weighed 3,048kg.

Hmmm.:wacko:

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

The difference between a lightship and a cruising ship is everything in addition to a bare hull.

The major items (which are listed in the RCD documentation for stability calculations are )

Life Raft = 74kgs

Crew =600kgs

Water = 600kgs

GFuel = 160kgs

Personal effects = 200kgs

Sails = 55kgs

Safety Equipment = 160 kgs

Black Water tanks = 200kgs

Anti-Fouling = 35 kgs

Auto Pilot = 15 kgs

Fenders = 40 kgs

Tender & Outboard = 150 kgs

Davits = 30kg

Spinnaker, Gennaker and equipment = 65 Kgs

Total 2384 kgs

Add in 'others' (instrumentation, inverter, anchor windlass, electric winches, boarding ladder, pulpit and pushpit, bimini, fridge etc and it all mounts up.

A bit of food and 'a sherry for the ladies' and you are overweight.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The difference between a lightship and a cruising ship is everything in addition to a bare hull.

The major items (which are listed in the RCD documentation for stability calculations are )

Life Raft = 74kgs

Crew =600kgs

Water = 600kgs

GFuel = 160kgs

Personal effects = 200kgs

Sails = 55kgs

Safety Equipment = 160 kgs

Black Water tanks = 200kgs

Anti-Fouling = 35 kgs

Auto Pilot = 15 kgs

Fenders = 40 kgs

Tender & Outboard = 150 kgs

Davits = 30kg

Spinnaker, Gennaker and equipment = 65 Kgs

Total 2384 kgs

Add in 'others' (instrumentation, inverter, anchor windlass, electric winches, boarding ladder, pulpit and pushpit, bimini, fridge etc and it all mounts up.

A bit of food and 'a sherry for the ladies' and you are overweight.

Lordy, lordy  - 'twas  only a tease - but interesting for a mere ditch crawler....

QI, though  for a mere ditch crawler.

(We do have some manky salty stuff nearby, but it's a bit manky and the water goes up and down regularly, which doesn't fit in with today's "I want to go boating NOW" approach...