NB Swift Notice/ Info Board

mark99

Featured Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Hand-Painted-Canal-Art-Narrow-Boat-A-Board-Sign-W-J-Yarwood-1933-Swift/183544460525?hash=item2abc1a34ed        

I think I recognise the handwriting.                         

44 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

A very very specific market. 

Yes - there are 79 Swifts on the CRT register, but at least 78 of them are not applicable.  I can imagine this action turning into a frenzied bidding war between all the others. ;)

Sign dates 1950s/60s.

Errm, I don't think so.

Assuming the claim on this site is true that she was restored in the early1990s, the wording of the sign can't pre-date its migration to a heritage boat used for educational purposes.

3 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

A good opportunity to acquire a pair of genuine narrow boat watering cans with a film background.

Beats calling them Buckby cans, I guess!

Colleague Phil Speight painted the Swift board, he repainted it for BW some while ago after I wrote it in 2000.

I’m aware of the pair of Nurser cans from Painted Boats, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the price escalate dramatically as the auction closes, given recent prices for old stuff......and no, I’m not bidding!! The provenance and painter make a very tempting prospect for a collector. A friend was tempted, thinking of offering £1400, until they had a change of heart. We’ll see......

• Greenie 1

The Swift sign board is the old one that Phil painted. We have no idea who the seller is but we are trying to find out how it ended up from being given to somebody to use when they made us a new one last year to now being for sale on eBay.  The one being sold was past its best and needed replacing.

32 minutes ago, mark99 said:

No one has mentioned the "a" word yet.

Apostrophe. Can't decide whether the use is correct.  :)

I call them "single quotes" single quotation marks, which do have special function, but not as used in this advertisement.

In this context I don't think they could be called "apostrophes". 

Edited by LadyG
spelling error

They are inverted commas, sometimes called quotation marks. Double or single to show a quotation - a piece of speech said by another. The double inverted comma is the oldest of the two types.

An apostrophe is used in denoting a possessive, such as - that's Arthur's pen, or that pen is Arthur's. Or: that's Arthur's golf club, but if he has more than one, it becomes: those are Arthurs' golf clubs. Tricky one that last, and some grammatical websites differ on the definition of what is singular, what is plural, and where the apostrophe should be in relationship.

Edited by Derek R.

Getting back to the topic in hand.

I can advise that they (there were two signs offered, one for Swift and the other for Swallow) appeared at Auction on Sunday 18th November in The Midlands.

I expect the selling price to be announced shortly.

On 26/11/2018 at 21:36, Derek R. said:

An apostrophe is used in denoting a possessive, such as - that's Arthur's pen, or that pen is Arthur's. Or: that's Arthur's golf club, but if he has more than one, it becomes: those are Arthurs' golf clubs.

?

Only if there's more than one Arthur.

There are no misused apostrophes on the sign but there is a spelling mistake.

Edited by Athy

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:47, zenataomm said:

Getting back to the topic in hand.

I can advise that they (there were two signs offered, one for Swift and the other for Swallow) appeared at Auction on Sunday 18th November in The Midlands.

I expect the selling price to be announced shortly.

Here is what the two signs sold for at auction 10 days ago ……...

21843_181111-073008thumb.jpg

£35

Canal Art - History Board for 'Swallow'
nicely hand-signwritten board

21842_181111-072920thumb.jpg

£50

Canal Art - History A-Board for 'Swift'
nicely hand-signwritten board