Slipways on the Mon and Breon Canal

Shadrack

Featured Posts

Does anybody know if the slipway at Pontymoile on the Mon Brecon Canal is accessible to get a 26ft cruiser in?

I remember the rooad being tight with traffic when i was there years ago and wonder if its good for getting in with a 26 footer on a trailer.

Alternatively what is nearby. I dont fancy driving all the way to brecon.

Cheers

last time I was on the M&B the canal was choked with weed as you approach Pontymoile.   I launched my 21 ft cruiser at Goytre Wharf a couple of times.  Boat was about 1 tonne and the C&RT slipway was just about adequate.  There is a new boatyard at Llangattock which AFAIK has a good slipway (Beacon Boats?).

We Launched at Herons Rest Marina Llangattock when we visited the Mon&Brec, its a good Slipway with provision to store your car and trailer while on the Canal, worth the cost IMO. I must say its a stunner but does have some low bridges and shallow bits..

On 28/11/2018 at 22:27, sandgrown said:

We Launched at Herons Rest Marina Llangattock when we visited the Mon&Brec, its a good Slipway with provision to store your car and trailer while on the Canal, worth the cost IMO. I must say its a stunner but does have some low bridges and shallow bits..

Yes mate originally that was the plan but there are stoppages on the canal near Crickowell, so the boat would have been trapped until March.

As it happened we used the slipway at Pontymoile. The guys running the moorings there were great and even jumped in their Land Rover (the guy who towed the boat had a Transit and thought the boat would drag his van down the slipway!) and reversed the boat down the slipway.