Cycling the Warwickshire ring

Featured Posts

Hi all, we're planning on cycling the 100 Mile towpath of the Warwickshire ring in-between Christmas and New year for charity. We intend to do it over three days. Starting and finishing at Sutton stop, has anyone done this trip?   If so can you give us an idea of the terrain and conditions. We intend to get through Birmingham the first day any ideas where we can stay, hotel, b&b, ect.thank you, regards Jan

15 hours ago, Georgia Moth said:

Hi all, we're planning on cycling the 100 Mile towpath of the Warwickshire ring in-between Christmas and New year for charity. We intend to do it over three days. Starting and finishing at Sutton stop, has anyone done this trip?   If so can you give us an idea of the terrain and conditions. We intend to get through Birmingham the first day any ideas where we can stay, hotel, b&b, ect.thank you, regards Jan

The towpath terrain will be flat, except for slight inclines at each lock, and the

towpaths are generally in good condition throughout the ring. 

Which direction will you be travelling,  clockwise towards Rugby, or anticlockwise towards Nuneaton? Also where are your proposed overnight stops?  This information will help people who are local to recommend suitable B&B's or hotels.

1 hour ago, Georgia Moth said:

Great thanks for that info. It's the condition of the path I'm worried about! 

There are some quite long stretches through Birmingham that are paved / gravel, so will be fine.   Elsewhere is mainly earth / grass, so will depend a lot on the weather - if it is really wet some stretches will be muddy and hard going - you might want fat tyres.

5 hours ago, Georgia Moth said:

We're planning going the Nuneaton direction. First stop just past Birmingham centre. Second stop somewhere near long itchinton I think. It's hard to work out the mileage. We'd like to do less in the third day, save some energy for the pub! 

www.canalplan.eu

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

You don't say what sort of bikes you'll be riding. I've done the Coventry Canal on a hybrid and it was survivable but not the most comfortable of rides. A mountain bike would mostly be fine though there will be muddy sections. Road bike - forget it.

There are loads of very boggy bits on the towpath between Napton and Sutton Stop.

On 27/11/2018 at 15:34, Dr Bob said:

There are loads of very boggy bits on the towpath between Napton and Sutton Stop.

I would have said that the North Oxford would be the worst towpath on the ring, although some of the worst places where is was washed away have been repaired.

On 27/11/2018 at 16:55, Dr Bob said:

Do what David Mack said above and look at canal plan for mileages.

When we did that it was 28 miles from Napton to sutton stop.

It is probably still the same distance!  If I were guessing I would have guessed it was shorter then that.