RPM measurements

blackrose

Featured Posts

The only thing it could possibly be perhaps is the hole at the top (bottom) marked 3 with the yellow thing inside. The previous pictures show it better. But I don't think there's anything in there that turns, unless it's something you push as Tony suggested?

Edited by blackrose

10 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Some VDO tacos have to be calibrated with a cable and dedicated software. Possibly plugs into socket marked 123?

Ah - well done!  This may be a bit of information I was unaware of.  As there seems to be somewhere a cable could plug in, I'm tempted to think it may be the case here.  (Seems to be overkill though, if all that is really needed is a twiddly potentiometer!)

3 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

In croftie's diagram it looks like hole 3 is a good bet.

Yes, I'm going to have to check to see if the dip switches are all set correctly first and then work out how to adjust the Potentiometer! Is it just stick a screwdriver in a twist? I'm not sure how mine is wired - should I assume it's as per Diagram D because I have an alternator?

Edited by blackrose

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Programming cable. 

And what would I connect the programming cable to please? (Please don't say "Programmer" unless you're going to show me what it is!) 

The VDO instructions make more sense to me than trying to connect an external device to programme the revcounter.

Edited by blackrose

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

And what would I connect the programming cable to please? (Please don't say "Programmer" unless you're going to show me what it is!) 

The VDO instructions make more sense to me than trying to connect an external device to programme the revcounter.

Dunno if this is any help ?

He is talking about dip-switches, not USB type programming.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I still think its the 'ON' hole with the 1,2,3 beneath it.

Looking up the hole it looks like a USB connector for programming.

That's where the dip switches are on some units. I'm not sure if this unit has them, it doesn't look like it.  On = the "on"position of the switches if it does.

Edited by Flyboy

Could you take a shot straight down 3 with the little silver cover removed as in your first shot? It looks to me like that might be a little yellow pot at the bottom of the hole but I can’t be sure at the angle of the photo. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Could you take a shot straight down 3 with the little silver cover removed as in your first shot? It looks to me like that might be a little yellow pot at the bottom of the hole but I can’t be sure at the angle of the photo. 

Yes, this still seems possible to me, but I guess f Mike can't see anything on the yellow bit to get a small screwdriver into, it may be something else?

As a complete aside, but to my mind, even if it is illuminated, there are more wires to the back of the unit than I might have expected, particularly as many of them are doubled up s must be connected to multiple places.

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It very well could be a little yellow trim pot down hole 3, and that would match up with the diagram from post #78

Edited by Chewbacka

10 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

It very well could be a little yellow trim pot down hole 3, and that would match up with the diagram from post #78

Yes I agree entirely - I had not looked properly at that diagram until now.

In fact a perfect match, I would say.

If so, it would also seem to suggest that what is down the square hole labelled 1-2-3 is actually 3 DIP switches to do with calibration, and not as Mike thinks an electrical connector. (By the way, note that hole has clearly had something round stickered over it at some stage that has fallen off or been removed)

I'd now be quite surprised if what's down that top hole were not an adjustable potentiometer.

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If so, it would also seem to suggest that what is down the square hole labelled 1-2-3 is actually 3 DIP switches to do with calibration, and not as Mike thinks an electrical connector. (By the way, note that hole has clearly had something round stickered over it at some stage that has fallen off or been removed)

Looks like the printed circuit is showing so yes possible DIP switches, perhaps for course settings,

Image3.jpg

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes I agree entirely - I had not looked properly at that diagram until now.

In fact a perfect match, I would say.

I'd now be quite surprised if what's down that top hole were not an adjustable potentiometer.

Or push button switch.

5 minutes ago, croftie said:

Looks like the printed circuit is showing so yes possible DIP switches, perhaps for course settings,

Image3.jpg

As I said in post 91, some units do not have dip switches, I can't see any in there. I think they were only fitted for the after market to cover a wide of engines.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

As I said in post 91, some units do not have dip switches, I can't see any in there. I think they were only fitted for the after market to cover a wide of engines.

I really should be looking at all the post.

I think you are right.

I still back the "something down the hole at the top" theory, though!

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I really should be looking at all the post.

I think you are right.

I still back the "something down the hole at the top" theory, though!

Yes I agree, hole 3 either has a push button or a potentiometer.