Freesat settings help please

Featured Posts

Mrs S reset the Freesat box yesterday, which both gave and took away all sorts of channels. Firstly, we now have no ITV or Ch 4 but to balance that we have all sorts of European and Asian channels which were not offered before. Any bright suggestions on what to do, other than getting a new box, as it seems possible it is a question of our box being too old?

When we are cruising we have to re-tune the Tv most nights, we often 'lose' channels because we are in a 'black-spot' and there is no signal for that frequency, re-tune the next night and they are back (and maybe others are missing)

Never picked up Asian channels - are you near Birmingham or Sheffield by any chance ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we are cruising we have to re-tune the Tv most nights, we often 'lose' channels because we are in a 'black-spot' and there is no signal for that frequency, re-tune the next night and they are back (and maybe others are missing)

Never picked up Asian channels - are you near Birmingham or Sheffield by any chance ?

Yeh, but this is Freesat, not Freeview.

So it can either see the satellite, or it can't and the channels shouldn't change.

(Unless it is now pointed at the wrong satellite, of course!)

Edited by alan_fincher

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Alan,

You missed the detail - the thread says Freesat not Freeview... Easy enough mistake as there are very few folks who watch Freesat.

We do and recently all the channels went berserk, numbers changed and 'no signal found' to some existing. I guess there was a major retune 'recently'

To reset you have to leave the box on in standby overnight, that's when it will retune itself (Freeview  works 'on demand') 

We have used Freesat for years in Belgium and France. Sometimes we find if the dish is not exactly lined up we get postcode not recognised but a slight alteration of the dish fixes that l think is because there are now two sats beaming down almost behind each other. 

Did you do a manual tune in which case sometimes you do get all these other stations which are also on the astra sats.

Try the automatic tune and it should come right.

12 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

We have used Freesat for years in Belgium and France. Sometimes we find if the dish is not exactly lined up we get postcode not recognised but a slight alteration of the dish fixes that l think is because there are now two sats beaming down almost behind each other. 

Did you do a manual tune in which case sometimes you do get all these other stations which are also on the astra sats.

Try the automatic tune and it should come right.

Whoops - I missed the location. Things are different in France.....

I thought all the English speaking channels were on the Astra group of satellites only - so the box either sees that group, or gets no English speaking channels at all?

To respond to the other question - my Humax boxes are very old - but still work; my Sky box is even older and works (not that I use it...)

57 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Apparently, according to my manager, the freesat. Handel’s have. Hanged a bit, and Ch4 is perhaps unavailable due to them not paying for access to Freesat? Anyone else have this information?

Yes, you're correct CH4 in High Definition is no longer available on Freesat but is still available on stand definition. IMHO unless you have an obscenely large tv (say, above 42") on the boat, then there's not a helluva lot of difference in picture quality. HD is nicer for sport - tennis, cricket. If your tuner connection is via SCART cable (analogue), then you'd be better off by switching to HDMI (digital) to get a better picture quality even for standard definition broadcasts. 

15 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Update: we are not sure what Mrs S did,  apart from restarting the box and telling it to do a manual reboot - which was automatic, but it is now working as it should, though the channels are not in the order they were, and there are a lot more of them. 750 instead of 300. 

I wonder whether Your Management - somehow, 'cos I don't know how to do it - succeeded in doing a 'non Freesat tune'  Looky hear for a related discussion -

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/freesat-tune-compared-to-manual-tune.8323/

That would account for the sudden increase in channels

An alternative / addition would be to install the customised software -

https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-6.2024876/

and flag the unwanted channels (a very tedious job)

Is the box actually a "FREESAT" box?  My original sat box would find hundreds of channels, mostly foreign or encrypted (I'm told there are some interesting German channels - not that I would know...).

My current Freesat TV (a very good LG with HD Freesat & Freeview) finds just over 100 channels.  Mostly the usual rubbish channels but all of the BBC/ITV/C4/Quest etc, in both SD & HD.  I tuned it initially on my home sat dish which I knew was aligned spot on.

If you have the option, select Freesat only.

8 minutes ago, dor said:

Is the box actually a "FREESAT" box?  My original sat box would find hundreds of channels, mostly foreign or encrypted (I'm told there are some interesting German channels - not that I would know...).

My current Freesat TV (a very good LG with HD Freesat & Freeview) finds just over 100 channels.  Mostly the usual rubbish channels but all of the BBC/ITV/C4/Quest etc, in both SD & HD.  I tuned it initially on my home sat dish which I knew was aligned spot on.

If you have the option, select Freesat only.

I was intrigued by the original post, so did some further hacking around:-

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/foxsat-hdr-tunersignal-issue-fixed/page/2

Page 2 (above link) and the end of Page 1 explains the Freesat / plain satellite receiver situation well and might help  folks understand this box more deeply (if you're minded).

An useful point is that you can setup CH4 HD as a non freesat channel and record programmes - if you're minded, 'cos I don't think you get a programme guide.

Most interesting replies, and thank you. The box we bought, about 4 years ago from a French retailer called Boulanger, is manufactured by Xeobox and called a nex-tv box.

As it now works we are fairly relaxed about the situation though we are about to re read the instruction manual. Reading technical French is not an ideal way to spend a wet Monday afternoon!