Manchester ship canal Servey and cost

Jrtm

Featured Posts

not sure if in correct section.

I'm looking at going from the port up the weaver via the Manchester ship canal.

I know there is a Servey that has to be carried out but can anyone tell me what's involved in the Servey and an idea of cost to have it done?

also anyone know how much it costs to go down the ship canal to the weaver?

Mike Carter from Yarwoods basin at Northwich is the one most locals use for this his contact details are here http://www.marinesurveysltd.co.uk/

Don't worry if he doesn't answer his phone just leave a message and he will ring back. For billybobbooth, he knows working boats inside out and regularly surveys wooden boats so would probably be ideal for you

• Greenie 1

As far as I’m aware Marsh lock is still out of action after being damaged by the Daniel Adamson earlier this year so you can’t get off the ship canal onto weaver. 

I spoke to the lock keeper at Dutton locks a couple of months ago who told me that CRT were having difficulty  sourcing suitable timber for the lock gates. Apparently as  it’s a sea lock a particular timber has to be used.

Just now, Cloudinspector said:

As far as I’m aware Marsh lock is still out of action after being damaged by the Daniel Adamson earlier this year so you can’t get off the ship canal onto weaver. 

I spoke to the lock keeper at Dutton locks a couple of months ago who told me that CRT were having difficulty  sourcing suitable timber for the lock gates. Apparently as  it’s a sea lock a particular timber has to be used.

No, they disconnected the broken gate, so craft up to 5m / 16' beam can use the other gate.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13211/marsh-lock-weaver-navigationmanchester-ship-canal

There is a planned stoppage from January to March 2019 to fix the gate.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13730/marsh-lock-junction-of-weaver-navigation-and-manchester-ship-canal

The swing bridge at the entrance to Weston Point Dock prevents the pasage of a narrow boat. If Weston Marsh Lockl is out of action,can boats enter the Ship Canal through the dock?The bridge does not look in good shape.I Eddy Stobart now owns the dock estate,do they own the water? If so what would their response be for a request for through navigation? I am aware that there is no right of navigation on the canals. Would the dock be part of a Cruiseway,like the Weston canal. I am not aware that there has been any legal process to close the dock to navigation? Obviously,it makes sense to use Weston Marsh Lock in normal conditions,but it is a shame if the alternative route has been lost. If the old lock down to the river at Frodsham were still operable,then the problem would not arise.

On 25/11/2018 at 10:11, captain birdseye said:

Mike Carter from Yarwoods basin at Northwich is the one most locals use for this his contact details are here http://www.marinesurveysltd.co.uk/

Don't worry if he doesn't answer his phone just leave a message and he will ring back. For billybobbooth, he knows working boats inside out and regularly surveys wooden boats so would probably be ideal for you

Another vote for Mike to do your survey. Whilst not strictly required I found having a vhf and the paperwork for it useful to talk to the big boats....we needed to wait for the dredger to go alongside before Eastham VTS were happy for us to move

The survey is a joke, basically a quick walk through the boat check the fire extinguishers are in date ask if you have a life jacket and is it in date. Generally if the boat is in good condition, visual check only, you are good to go.

Make sure you have the paperwork for the survey printed out so that whomever you use can sign it, guess how I know this. Cost of the survey in 2017 was £70.00.

In addition you have to pay Peel Ports a fee to use the Ship Canal and they want a copy of your insurance.

All contact details current in 2017 are available on here see  Cruise Diaries pinned post.

Ken

sweet thanks guys its not as bad as i was expecting the.

i wasn't sure what the Servey would involve given she's wooden there is always work to do dispite having regular maintenance carried out!

i know we have up To date fire ect and nav lights but again there all paraffin due to no electric lights.

£70 for survey isn't bad i know there maybe 2 of us that need to have it done.

ill give a good read threw the above items and make my decision from there.

I know there are others to contact so I can sort that.

as to the above reference to stobart yes there is a right of passage and they were to sort the bridge as part of the deal of them getting the area but as the dock goes threw there yard they don't want boats to have accsess so they haven't fixed the bridge in order to stop this passage! crt just haven't enforced there side to make them though (more than likley paid off to keep quiet)

On 25/11/2018 at 10:11, captain birdseye said:

Mike Carter from Northwich his contact details are here http://www.marinesurveysltd.co.uk/

Don't worry if he doesn't answer his phone just leave a message and he will ring back. 

As said, Mike Carter is excellent, a good friend as well as our surveyor. 

Daniel

On 25/11/2018 at 12:58, nebulae said:

The swing bridge at the entrance to Weston Point Dock prevents the pasage of a narrow boat. If Weston Marsh Lockl is out of action,can boats enter the Ship Canal through the dock?The bridge does not look in good shape.I Eddy Stobart now owns the dock estate,do they own the water? If so what would their response be for a request for through navigation? I am aware that there is no right of navigation on the canals. Would the dock be part of a Cruiseway,like the Weston canal. I am not aware that there has been any legal process to close the dock to navigation? Obviously,it makes sense to use Weston Marsh Lock in normal conditions,but it is a shame if the alternative route has been lost. If the old lock down to the river at Frodsham were still operable,then the problem would not arise.

This route uses Weston Point dock as a lock and the gates from the Ship canal into the dock have been left in the open position for many years. Stobart's had plans to open up Weston Point dock to the ship canal which would require sealing up the lock gates under the swing bridge and removing part of the quay to allow large ships to swing here, obviously this has never happened.