Boat yard recommendations in Hertfordshire on the Lee or Stort?

jetzi

Featured Posts

We need to have our 65' narrowboat hauled out, pressure cleaned, blacked and surveyed in Hertfordshire. Somewhere on the Lee or Stort between Cheshunt and Hertford/Bishops Stortford. We're aiming to be in that area in late February/March and we can hang around in that area as long as it takes to find a suitable slot.

Can anyone recommend a boat yard and/or people who can do this work in that area? Whether you've had good or bad experiences I'd really appreciate the testimonial!

I have heard that it's best for blacking to get done in warmer weather - when is the earliest month of the year that it would be recommended?

9 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

We need to have our 65' narrowboat hauled out, pressure cleaned, blacked and surveyed in Hertfordshire. Somewhere on the Lee or Stort between Cheshunt and Hertford/Bishops Stortford. We're aiming to be in that area in late February/March and we can hang around in that area as long as it takes to find a suitable slot.

Can anyone recommend a boat yard and/or people who can do this work in that area? Whether you've had good or bad experiences I'd really appreciate the testimonial!

I have heard that it's best for blacking to get done in warmer weather - when is the earliest month of the year that it would be recommended?

@bizzard can do it without craning you out.  He's been practising recently ...

21 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Depends on the temperature but Late April into May is the earliest I've had it done. I have found reputable firms will not do it any earlier unless they have heated, indoor 'sheds'.

There is often a 6 month + waiting list so now is the time to book.

It should take about 7 days start to finish allowing for 3 good coats and extras 'in the crinkles' (round the swim, the rudder, up inside the weed-hatch etc)

• Greenie 1

May be the wrong side of London for you but Aylesbury Canal Society Circus Field Marina has the best facilities I have ever seen for this. Fully enclosed heated secure building with adjoining workshop, kitchen and shower. You can live on board throughout. Free powerful pressure washer included. 

DIY, or Andy and Sue on site may be able to do blacking and painting for you.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Stanstead Abbots Marina (Crane Out)

Hallingbury Marina (Dry Dock)

Kecksys Farm (Crane Out)

That's about it

• Greenie 1

Thanks everyone, I'll enquire at Stanstead Abbots Marina, Hallingbury Marina and Keksys Farm. I'm sure between the three of these we'll find something suitable.

I know it's a bit silly but we're keen to explore the waterways somewhat systematically and being that the Stort and Lee are rather short branches by comparison and all on this side of London, I figured we'd do this side before we head up North.

I've managed to find an email address for Hallingbury (info@hallingburymarina.co.uk) and Stanstead Abbots (stanstead@vibrantpartnerships.co.uk), but I can only find a Kecksys Farm Campsite which has a phone number only ( 07720 508594 ). I do prefer to get quotes and things via email so I was wondering if anyone has an email address for Kecksys? If not, I'll give them a call in the morning on Monday and ask.

11 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I've managed to find an email address for Hallingbury (info@hallingburymarina.co.uk) and Stanstead Abbots (stanstead@vibrantpartnerships.co.uk), but I can only find a Kecksys Farm Campsite which has a phone number only ( 07720 508594 ). I do prefer to get quotes and things via email so I was wondering if anyone has an email address for Kecksys? If not, I'll give them a call in the morning on Monday and ask.

I very much doubt if Kecksys farm as an email address.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I very much doubt if Kecksys farm as an email address.

Thanks, I'll have to phone them then.

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

There is of course Enfield Dry Dock just south of your specified area

That would be a good option, but their website seems to say they are fully booked 24/7 up until at least March 2020. I emailed them to ask if this is accurate.

55 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You have been making spreadsheets again, haven't you? :D

?

22 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

That would be a good option, but their website seems to say they are fully booked 24/7 up until at least March 2020. I emailed them to ask if this is accurate.

Places that have good facilities and a good reputation are in short supply - those that can offer them are normally booked many, many months in advance.

It may pay you to book a slot for a replacement engine in 2022.

After years of saving up, a Soviet man finally has enough to buy a car. He goes to the appropriate ministry and informs them that he would like to purchase a vehicle.

“There are currently shortages, it will be three years before your car is available,” the minister informs the man. “We will have it sent to your house when it’s ready.”

"Three years," he responds. "What month?"

"August," says the minister.

"August? What day in August?" Asks the man.

"The Second of August," says the minister.

"Morning or Afternoon?" Asks the man.

"Why do you need to know?" Asks the minister, getting exasperated.

"The plumber is coming in the morning," the man responds.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2018 at 00:51, David Mack said:

May be the wrong side of London for you but Aylesbury Canal Society Circus Field Marina has the best facilities I have ever seen for this. Fully enclosed heated secure building with adjoining workshop, kitchen and shower. You can live on board throughout. Free powerful pressure washer included. 

DIY, or Andy and Sue on site may be able to do blacking and painting for you.

Seems like there is very minimal availabilty on the Lee and Stort. I took your advice and contacted the Aylesbury Canal Society. They quoted me 200 GBP for cranage and 50 GBP per day hard standing ex VAT (and you don't pay for standing on the cranage days). DIY. Electricity and heating not included.

I plan to have her out for 10 days (I want plenty of time to deal with any issues that might arise), so that will be 500 standing + 200 cranage + 140 VAT = 840 GBP.

Does this seem like a reasonable price?

I figure I can then decide to DIY or not to DIY.  If I decide to book a contractor, would I need to give a lot of notice for this as well?

7 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Seems like there is very minimal availabilty on the Lee and Stort. I took your advice and contacted the Aylesbury Canal Society. They quoted me 200 GBP for cranage and 50 GBP per day hard standing ex VAT (and you don't pay for standing on the cranage days). DIY. Electricity and heating not included.

I plan to have her out for 10 days (I want plenty of time to deal with any issues that might arise), so that will be 500 standing + 200 cranage + 140 VAT = 840 GBP.

Does this seem like a reasonable price?

I figure I can then decide to DIY or not to DIY.  If I decide to book a contractor, would I need to give a lot of notice for this as well?

YES that's good for that part of the world - DIY its good for you! Contractors always need a lot of notice and the "spring/pre-season" period is their busiest so even worse - you can sometimes get lucky if the Dock have a pet contractors - is that £200 cranage in and out or £200 each way??

What's VAT??

Edited by Halsey

Winkwell dock in Hemel Hempstead is about £250 a week, pressure washer extra (or it was in 2016) good facilities, tradesmen on site etc. Spent 2 weeks there when I repainted Parglena and have blacked all my boats there. If you need welding done you have to use their staff but pretty much everything else you can do yourself.

Kevin can be a bit gruff ;)

24 minutes ago, Halsey said:

YES that's good for that part of the world - DIY its good for you! Contractors always need a lot of notice and the "spring/pre-season" period is their busiest so even worse - you can sometimes get lucky if the Dock have a pet contractors - is that £200 cranage in and out or £200 each way??

What's VAT??

200 both ways. VAT is 20% I think? so on 700 it would be 140. Oh, and you have to take out a temporary membership for a tenner.

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Winkwell dock in Hemel Hempstead is about £250 a week, pressure washer extra (or it was in 2016) good facilities, tradesmen on site etc. Spent 2 weeks there when I repainted Parglena and have blacked all my boats there. If you need welding done you have to use their staff but pretty much everything else you can do yourself.

Kevin can be a bit gruff ;)

Thanks - is that 250 for 5 days, or for 7?

9 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Thanks - is that 250 for 5 days, or for 7?

In Saturday 8AM dock dry just after lunch, fill dock overnight Friday so 6 full days.

Edited by Loddon

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Not much had changed in 20 years then.......

He has mellowed, as I think we all have,  but as you know just give as good as you get and he is fine.

Edited by Loddon
  • Haha 1