Hempsted historic dry dock ltd

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Richard north said:

Hello

want to ask if anyone has had any issues with invoices and work done at Hempsted historic dry dock ltd , based in Gloucester 

many thanks 

Yes, very much so. And recently.

Sorry I'm not free to elucidate further, but be very careful! ?

2 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Done.

Suggest you delete your email address from a public forum tho!

Er, quoting it in your post is not helping to hide it!

I have seen this e-mail address advice given before - but I cannot see what harm it can do. Could you explain, please? If you want both references to the e-mail address deleting, let me know and I'll do it.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I have seen this e-mail address advice given before - but I cannot see what harm it can do.

Because people who want very much to hit you with unsolicited Spam have mechanisms that trawl through web-sites looking for email addresses "in the clear" which they then capture and use.

If you don't think this is a problem try dotting your own email address around on various well visited web-sites like ths ine.

If you are not currently invaded by masses of SPAM mail, I guarantee you then soon would be!

(This why it is not unusual to see email addresses on web pages edited to look something like athy<AT>please-dont-spam-me.net.  Although even this doesn't guarantee no trouble, it makes it more likely that only humans will pick up your address, rather than "bots" that trawl the web seeking to do just that.)

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Because people who want very much to hit you with unsolicited Spam have mechanisms that trawl through web-sites looking for email addresses "in the clear" which they then capture and use.

If you don't think this is a problem try dotting your own email address around on various well visited web-sites like ths ine.

Oh yes, I realise that, and I do tend to use the "at" and "dot" trick when quoting my e-address. But is it nothing more sinister than that? Spam isn't a problem, if it arrives in my e-mail inbox I just delete it. I believe one can install a "spam filter" in a computer, but I am loath to do so in case it filters out genuine messages.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Oh yes, I realise that, and I do tend to use the "at" and "dot" trick when quoting my e-address. But is it nothing more sinister than that? Spam isn't a problem, if it arrives in my e-mail inbox I just delete it. I believe one can install a "spam filter" in a computer, but I am loath to do so in case it filters out genuine messages.

Too late!  I think you have already been got at - by the look of your boat name?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

The odd spam message isn't a problem but when I had a previous email address, I was getting more than 1500 spam messages a day! OK - they were picked up by the spam filter but I still had to go through them in case something I actually wanted had been filtered out. I am very careful with my email address now - I have email addresses I use simply for shopping and signing up to things so I can protect my personal one.

6 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Have you not heard of a "Trojan"?

Its a nasty little virus that wriggles around inside your computer and causes mayhem ?

No I hadn't. As well as the obvious meaning of a person from Troy, I knew it as a brand of battery, a make of vehicle, an American brand of contraceptives and the leading brand of reggae records (the boat is named after the last of these, more or less).

2 hours ago, Athy said:

No I hadn't. As well as the obvious meaning of a person from Troy, I knew it as a brand of battery, a make of vehicle, an American brand of contraceptives and the leading brand of reggae records (the boat is named after the last of these, more or less).

It’s so-called because it appears to be a benign piece of software but it creeps into your computer system’s internals and causes mayhem. Just like Troy. 

17 hours ago, Athy said:

while the odd spam email here and there isn't an issue for you it could be that you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

we have clients that complain regularly about spam reaching their mailbox, they get about 50 per week per mailbox (they have 5 separate accounts so around 250 total), roughly 75% of these are already flagged as very likely to be spam (the ones not flagged are too similar to genuine email to distinguish automatically)

what they don't see is that for every email accepted by the server for them (whether spam or genuine) we have refused we have refused around 120 (because it came from a computer known to be currently sending spam / the message linked directly to a website address currently being used by spammers / the file attachment is known to be malware etc etc), generally if the server can identify the message as spam before it has been accepted it will be rejected and the sending server is given the reason for the rejection, if it is picked up after it has been accepted then it will be flagged as spam but still delivered

overall the spam that reaches them and they complain about represents 0.25% of the all messages intended for them

On 03/12/2018 at 23:15, rustydiver said:

Has anybody had their boat repainted here?

Are there problems?

Im looking to get my boat repainted next year sometime and this is one of my local yards. 

Up until a couple of months ago their painting was done independently by an elderly couple.  They made a good job of it, but it was wise to keep a close eye on progress.  They have now parted company with the dry dock, but still undertake excellent signwriting.

I believe you can hire the dry dock to do your own painting, which should be OK.

I don't know what arrangements they now have to do the painting for you, but I would advise great care.