Alternator Recognition

BEngo

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Thank you.  I would like to see if I can a. Find a spare and  b. Get a fan for it.

N

It might have an internal fan, Snibs will know. However start up and hold a smoking Joss stick at the back of it, if it has a fan the smoke will be drawn in and exit at the pulley end. Choose a nice aromatic one like Jasmine. :closedeyes:

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It might have an internal fan, Snibs will know. However start up and hold a smoking Joss stick at the back of it, if it has a fan the smoke will be drawn in and exit at the pulley end. Choose a nice aromatic one like Jasmine. :closedeyes:

I prefer 7th chakra for tasks like this.

And I see the OP is looking for a fan for his alternator. I'm an alternator fan. Alternators are GRATE.  

Hope that helps. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

External fan. Just about any fan for 17mm shaft will do.

If you can post a picture showing the mountings I may be able to identify a replacement.

Just a thought Nigel - I had to replace the alternator on my Kelvin a while back.

My first “economy” attempt was unsuccessful as the alternator is mounted backwards compared to a typical car situation, so the fan ran backwards ?

It was also very noisy due to the fan being an external type - a horid whine could be heard between the ”chugs” of the J2 ☹️

The solution was to fit a much more expensive Boshe type alternator that had a dual-directional internal fan which is effectively silent.

A couple of pics attached in case they help.

32DE6299-39F6-4F12-9242-8AF1F6708388.jpeg

009FAA66-FCAF-41E4-A7B0-5BC99F4D9187.jpeg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

External fan. Just about any fan for 17mm shaft will do.

If you can post a picture showing the mountings I may be able to identify a replacement.

Thanks. I have a spare A127 fan so can try that.

Mounting pics may be more of a challenge but I will try next time we are aboard. I know it is a left handed adjuster (from the rear) and the main mounts are onto an H frame I fabricated and which is welded to the floor.

For Boater Sam. I had thought of running it off a gear to the starter ring but lubrication would be a problem as I dare not wear out the cast iron teeth on the flywheel. I also thought of a tyre on the drive pulley running on the flywheel rim, but have not found a suitable tyre/wheel.

N

10 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Many of the internal fans are directional.

Thanks for that info Sir Nibble.

I was sold mine as being dual direction, but I’ve not been able to track down a data sheet.

I’ll try Bizzards joss stick trick (advanced diagnostic procedure ?) to check.

Do I understand correctly that the reason for the airflow intake being from the opposite end to the pulley is to reduce belt dust injestion?

1 minute ago, gbclive said:

Thanks for that info Sir Nibble.

I was sold mine as being dual direction, but I’ve not been able to track down a data sheet.

I’ll try Bizzards joss stick trick (advanced diagnostic procedure ?) to check.

Do I understand correctly that the reason for the airflow intake being from the opposite end to the pulley is to reduce belt dust injestion?

The reason for airflow being back to front is to favour the rectifier with first go at the cool air. An internal fan machine tends to have a fan at each end discharging radially

5 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

The reason for airflow being back to front is to favour the rectifier with first go at the cool air. An internal fan machine tends to have a fan at each end discharging radially

That’s very interesting - Thankyou 

21 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Thanks. I have a spare A127 fan so can try that.

Mounting pics may be more of a challenge but I will try next time we are aboard. I know it is a left handed adjuster (from the rear) and the main mounts are onto an H frame I fabricated and which is welded to the floor.

For Boater Sam. I had thought of running it off a gear to the starter ring but lubrication would be a problem as I dare not wear out the cast iron teeth on the flywheel. I also thought of a tyre on the drive pulley running on the flywheel rim, but have not found a suitable tyre/wheel.

N

If you use a Poly V belt like modern Vehicles use you can run it on the Flywheel rim.it will sit there and have lots of grip use a suitable Alternator pulley

Edited by cereal tiller

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

If you use a Poly V belt like modern Vehicles use you can run it on the Flywheel rim.it will sit there and have lots of grip use a suitable Alternator pulley

So will a plain vanilla old fashioned V belt.