Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DHutch

Brexit 2019

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I agree. Willy waving (or the female equivalent). My car already has a unique registration mark, so why would I want to pay for another?

Well if you want willy waving......

pL0Mtm2C.jpg

This plate used to belong to Steve Parrish, and could regularly be seen in the visitors car park at the major multi-national where I worked, because my company sponsored his truck racing activities at the time.

Edited by alan_fincher
Spelling of surname

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its not those that voted out that wish to remain in the past. Those that voted out wish to rid themselves of the failing eu model. The future needs change not remaining with the past that is the eu.

The above is correct. Us rabid Brexiciders note the decision of parliament to grant an in/ out referendum and then, the decision of the people of these islands and then, during a subsequent general election, the manifesto promises of the two major parties, who account for the vast majority of members of parliament, to leave the European Union. Leaving would need to be in a meaningful way, naturally. So that's it, we need to cut away the cancer that is the European Union, let it float free of these islands.

1 hour ago, Tigerr said:

It is his wife's car. As has been repeatedly noted.

The man is the Speaker of the House of Commons.  He drove that car into the car park and parked in the Speakers reserved spot.

If HE doesn't realise the sensitivities of his actions he is unworthy of his position.

However, I believe he FULLY knew what he was doing.

George

• Greenie 3

55 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well if you want willy waving......

pL0Mtm2C.jpg

This plate used to belong to Steve Parrish, and could regularly be seen in the visitors car park at the major multi-national where I worked, because my company sponsored his truck racing activities at the time.

And in about 1974 it was on a Ford Mustang parked outside a recording studio in, I think, Kew. On the other side of the road was a Rolls Royce with the number plate WOM13

:)

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive no idea? Why the hell do you want some number on any car that people can remember and may damage if they take a dislike to you? The number on any car serves zero purpose other than to identify it to the law. Funny ones can be a laugh but other than that!!!!

Because I can remember the number!! otherwise I have no idea of the reg of a car I drive 😟

Well since MPs have started to interfere in Democracy over the last couple of days, the signatures on the brexit petition that will be discussed on the 14th have started to rise rapidly. Just goes to show the people are watching and waiting and are taking action now at 318,561

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Would that be the " Remain " Chuka umunna by any chance 🙄

Why does it matter who said it, nor which side he supports? it’s what was said that is pertinent, and it was unlikely to have been said by a leave supporter... was it?

Is he wrong in suggesting that leave supporters are now complaining because parliament is exerting the power that they want it to have. It seems that they only want it to have such power if it does what suits them. Truly hypocritical.

You, of all people, might say that, “at least it is our parliament exerting this power... even if I don’t like how it’s being exerted” ??

One thing is certain, and that is that it is definitely nothing to do with the EU... which is how you want it?

8 hours ago, Phil. said:

Yes it was, and both main parties and 86% of the public vote was for Brexit to be pursued. Now this parliament is attempting to stop it.

You know very well that 86% of voters have never voted in favour of Brexit... but it suits your argument to pretend that they did. You are not alone in this, but is disingenuous at the very least.

A general election could never be all about Brexit.... if it had been, the Lib Dem’s would have received more votes than they ever have in the past.

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

They are all bent and in it for themselves, thats precsiely why we dont need the bent ba-----ds from another 27 countries joining in. At least with our own bunch of idiots I have a say in the vote for them. I have no vote in Lithuania or any of the other members of the non country club. Better the devil you know as it were. I dont care how crap our lot are, they are still our lot.

Well let’s hope that “our lot” manage to get us the second referendum. However crap you think that will be, they are still “our lot”.

• Haha 1

Just as an aside as you will never understand realy what is at stake here methinks. I was having a chatt with a lady liveaboard well known on this forum recently. A very inteligent young lady and very interesting in debate mode. She voted remain but is without doubt she states going to vote Out if there is another vote as she says the original referendum cannot in her view be simply thrown aside. I was suprised by this but somewhat reasured that some people in this day and age want the vote respected unlike many in parliament.

Very interesting... but she is “one person”, not “some people”, and definitely not “many people”.

Politicians do the same thing when they tell us that they “were talking to a constituent at the weekend”.

The properly elected parliament gave the vote to the voter. There was a result. It was acted upon and an act of parliament was passed. All this was done legitimately. The only thing being done by any means whatsoever is trying to stop the result. If we dont leave which I keep saying is what is going to happen we might as well close parliament down whilst learning german as a first language.

Bit over the top don’t you think?

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

They are going to southern Spain :o They have all bought a selection of Honda nineities etc, and they are all big blokes I would be the smallest at 16 stone. I am a bit up against it though as this year all stopovers will be hotel based. I am running out of excuses but southern Spain on Honda step thru's kinell!!!!!

Surely there`s life in those old bones still!!!! My daughter, son-in law,wife and I are of on a Thundercrawl Rally from Reims  to Vienna in an "old banger" in June. Lifes for living.Go for it. That is ofcourse whether having exited the EU we both can get on to the continent and return with out being arrested for malicious political unrest.😉

Sad news anticipated for Jaguar employees. Another result of our companies/heritage being sold to the wolves. More will undoubtedly follow but I`m sure we`ll survive.

2 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Surely there`s life in those old bones still!!!! My daughter, son-in law,wife and I are of on a Thundercrawl Rally from Reims  to Vienna in an "old banger" in June. Lifes for living.Go for it. That is ofcourse whether having exited the EU we both can get on to the continent and return with out being arrested for malicious political unrest.😉

You might be right they are a great bunch of idiots 😂 You and I and all the people who try to worry about everything in their lives are fully aware that going on holiday to europe will remain easy peasy, they will still want what europe always wants...............our money innitt 👍

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You know very well that 86% of voters have never voted in favour of Brexit... but it suits your argument to pretend that they did. You are not alone in this, but is disingenuous at the very least.

A general election could never be all about Brexit.... if it had been, the Lib Dem’s would have received more votes than they ever have in the past.

At the last GE, both Labour and the Tory manifesto stated that they would act on the result of the referendum to take the UK out of the eu, aka Brexit. The combined voting percentage between Labour and the Tories was 86%, therefore 86% of the public voted for the exit of the UK from the eu, or that they were not that bothered. This is a simple fact.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Phil. said:

At the last GE, both Labour and the Tory manifesto stated that they would act on the result of the referendum to take the UK out of the eu, aka Brexit. The combined voting percentage between Labour and the Tories was 86%, therefore 86% of the public voted for the exit of the UK from the eu, or that they were not that bothered. This is a simple fact.

If every party stated that they would act on the result of the referendum would you say that everyone that voted was in favour of Brexit?

You can't simply assume that voting for a party means that you support every item on their manifesto.

I support the Green party (if I have to choose a party) but that doesn't mean I support everything they put on their manifesto. I wouldn't vote Labour or Tory if they paid me but it doesn't mean that I don't find some of their policies attractive.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, KevMc said:

If every party stated that they would act on the result of the referendum would you say that everyone that voted was in favour of Brexit?

You can't simply assume that voting for a party means that you support every item on their manifesto.

I support the Green party (if I have to choose a party) but that doesn't mean I support everything they put on their manifesto. I wouldn't vote Labour or Tory if they paid me but it doesn't mean that I don't find some of their policies attractive.

This, Kev, is the point that is so often missed. People vote for the party that best represents their interests.

The same could perhaps be said of the 2016 referendum, although there were no manifestos and no promises (how often have we been told that the figure on the side of the bus wasn't a promise?).

There are customers outside of Europe :

UK signs £127m trade deal with Japan to export British meat in first time for 23 years

JAPAN will soon sell British beef and lamb in its markets, bringing a £127 million boost for UK farmers in a breakthrough Brexit trade deal.

Today, Prime Minister Theresa May will meet with Japan’s leader Shinzo Abe in Downing Street to commence talks on post-Brexit trade deals. Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox declared his support to ending the ban, encouraging a closer trading relationship with Tokyo in the oncoming years. He said: “It is great news that British beef and lamb will be available on supermarket shelves and restaurant menus for the first time in more than 20 years.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are customers outside of Europe :

UK signs £127m trade deal with Japan to export British meat in first time for 23 years

JAPAN will soon sell British beef and lamb in its markets, bringing a £127 million boost for UK farmers in a breakthrough Brexit trade deal.

Today, Prime Minister Theresa May will meet with Japan’s leader Shinzo Abe in Downing Street to commence talks on post-Brexit trade deals. Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox declared his support to ending the ban, encouraging a closer trading relationship with Tokyo in the oncoming years. He said: “It is great news that British beef and lamb will be available on supermarket shelves and restaurant menus for the first time in more than 20 years.

Interesting to note that the headline and the body of the article don’t seem to quite be reading from the same hymn sheet.

”U.K. signs”

”to commence talks”

How nice to see the Express continuing its heritage of quality reporting.

4 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

I'm sure that will easily offset the 5,000 jobs going at JLR (admittedly not all entirely due to Brexit).

4,999 jobs going due to fall in demand in China and the fact that JLR concentrated on Diesel powered vehicles.

Remember when we were all 'told' to change to diesel, it was cleaner and cheaper.

It's now considered 'dirtier' than petrol and at out local petrol station costs 11p per litre more than petrol.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

I'm sure that will easily offset the 5,000 jobs going at JLR (admittedly not all entirely due to Brexit).

90% of their products are diesel, they have known for years that the emissions from diesels are killing people and are now taking steps to rectify this. Along with falling demand from China and that they are going the electric route so maybe the factories are closing to refit for this production? Or more likely project fear is using this to try and stop Brexit, why let the truth get in the way of a good smear.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

90% of their products are diesel, they have known for years that the emissions from diesels are killing people and are now taking steps to rectify this. Along with falling demand from China and that they are going the electric route so maybe the factories are closing to refit for this production? Or more likely project fear is using this to try and stop Brexit, why let the truth get in the way of a good smear.

According to R4 this morning they are going to move production of electric vehicles to Slovakia.  Last time I looked, Slovakia was in the EU. Make of that what you will,

And apart from the optimistic fairytale from the Express about the talks on beer exports, Japanese-owned British car factories (ie most of them) are still warning about the consequences of a cliff-edge Brexit.   They would take their money elsewhere, and who could blame them?

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

4,999 jobs going due to fall in demand in China and the fact that JLR concentrated on Diesel powered vehicles.

Remember when we were all 'told' to change to diesel, it was cleaner and cheaper.

It's now considered 'dirtier' than petrol and at out local petrol station costs 11p per litre more than petrol.

That's only part of the story, Alan, as you should know very well. The 'dieselgate' problem has highlighted NOx pollution in cities -- petrol isn't clean, it emits different pollutants, including vastly more carbon 'greenhouse gases' than diesel. Besides which, half the particulate pollution comes from tyre and brake dust anyway, which all vehicles emit regardless of power source (yes, even electrics).

Nobody was "told" to change to diesel, we were all free to make our own decisions based on half-truths and sensationalism (unless we bothered to find out what was really going on). Ironically, that makes the topic entirely appropriate for a Brexit thread.   

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

According to R4 this morning they are going to move production of electric vehicles to Slovakia.  Last time I looked, Slovakia was in the EU. Make of that what you will,

And apart from the optimistic fairytale from the Express about the talks on beer exports, Japanese-owned British car factories (ie most of them) are still warning about the consequences of a cliff-edge Brexit.   They would take their money elsewhere, and who could blame them?

They have moved production of the Discovery to Slovakia because its a diesel only vehicle with very restricted sales now

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's only part of the story, Alan, as you should know very well. The 'dieselgate' problem has highlighted NOx pollution in cities -- petrol isn't clean, it emits different pollutants, including vastly more carbon 'greenhouse gases' than diesel. Besides which, half the particulate pollution comes from tyre and brake dust anyway, which all vehicles emit regardless of power source (yes, even electrics).

Nobody was "told" to change to diesel, we were all free to make our own decisions based on half-truths and sensationalism (unless we bothered to find out what was really going on). Ironically, that makes the topic entirely appropriate for a Brexit thread.   

I have a Hybrid and the brakes on it last forever, because it has regeneration on it. The first touch of the brake pedal increases this as well so mostly I actually never use the brakes at all! Modern direct injection petrols have a NOX problem and are now being fitted with filters to reduce the problem, Nothing on the road is clean really but electric cars are better than ICEs