Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DHutch

Brexit 2019

Featured Posts

Just now, Proper Charlie said:

Why what Bercow did today was the right and proper thing for the country, for our sovereignty and for democracy:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/01/09/parliament-is-now-at-war-with-government-and-it-s-winning

I have over the last hour read a few online documents at best what is happening is like swatting a fly at worst its a minor inconvenience! Brexit will still happen on the 29th of March, because thats what we and parliament voted for and the bill was passed into law

34 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Shame about the number plate though.

Personalised number plates are a very public example of the victory of disposable income over common sense.

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In the motor trade they are known as " Vanity plates " absolutely ridiculous aren't they.

31 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

And on that I'm sure we can all agree!

I agree. Willy waving (or the female equivalent). My car already has a unique registration mark, so why would I want to pay for another?

If I were genuinely stinking rich I wouldn't be wanting to broadcast the fact to the world at large, though.

2 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

Why what Bercow did today was the right and proper thing for the country, for our sovereignty and for democracy:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/01/09/parliament-is-now-at-war-with-government-and-it-s-winning

I'm very much inclined to think that is why he did it. Before 2010 we became much too used to the idea that the government was in control of Parliament, not the other way around.

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I have over the last hour read a few online documents at best what is happening is like swatting a fly at worst its a minor inconvenience! Brexit will still happen on the 29th of March, because thats what we and parliament voted for and the bill was passed into law

Oooooooooo Peter I soooooooooo hope you are right. You keep sticking yer lovely head out and it may well yet get chopped off. You, I and the rest of the majority know that should happen but we are talking about mps who will do anything they can for their own ends, its nowt to do with parliament, government or democracy.

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

In which case, why the complaints from the ERG, UKIP and lunatic right wing of the Tory party?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

mps who will do anything they can for their own ends, its nowt to do with parliament, government or democracy.

Your cynicism about our representative democracy (to which the Leave campaign wanted to give control) would be ironic if it were not so tragic.

Remind us again what you were saying about British laws being made by our British sovereign Parliament? 

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Your cynicism about our representative democracy (to which the Leave campaign wanted to give control) would be ironic if it were not so tragic.

Remind us again what you were saying about British laws being made by our British sovereign Parliament? 

They are all bent and in it for themselves, thats precsiely why we dont need the bent ba-----ds from another 27 countries joining in. At least with our own bunch of idiots I have a say in the vote for them. I have no vote in Lithuania or any of the other members of the non country club. Better the devil you know as it were. I dont care how crap our lot are, they are still our lot.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Brexit will still happen on the 29th of March, because thats what we and parliament voted for and the bill was passed into law

But the chance of a no-deal Brexit (arguably the most damaging sort) seems to be receding as Parliament takes back control from am increasingly underhand government. I quote from the politics.co.uk blog:

"Even after the election, when voters denied her a majority, she still acted like she represented the will of the people - passing all sorts of statutory instruments to sidestep parliament, failing to participate in opposition day motions, and refusing to provide parliament with the documents it demanded to see."

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont care how crap our lot are, they are still our lot.

... even if they are ...

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

...nowt to do with parliament, government or democracy

... they are still taking back control.

I'm thinking the leavers' hubris is, at long last, turning round to bite them on the bum. 

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

But the chance of a no-deal Brexit (arguably the most damaging sort) seems to be receding as Parliament takes back control from am increasingly underhand government. I quote from the politics.co.uk blog:

"Even after the election, when voters denied her a majority, she still acted like she represented the will of the people - passing all sorts of statutory instruments to sidestep parliament, failing to participate in opposition day motions, and refusing to provide parliament with the documents it demanded to see."

... even if they are ...

... they are still taking back control.

I'm thinking the leavers' hubris is, at long last, turning round to bite them on the bum. 

Just as an aside as you will never understand realy what is at stake here methinks. I was having a chatt with a lady liveaboard well known on this forum recently. A very inteligent young lady and very interesting in debate mode. She voted remain but is without doubt she states going to vote Out if there is another vote as she says the original referendum cannot in her view be simply thrown aside. I was suprised by this but somewhat reasured that some people in this day and age want the vote respected unlike many in parliament.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just as an aside as you will never understand really what is at stake here methinks.

What is at stake here is the conflict between a referendum result and a properly elected Parliament. That is far more serious than whichever version of 'leave' (or remain) we end up with.   Cameron made an almighty cock-up and May has been unable to square the circle by legitimate means.    

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

What is at stake here is the conflict between a referendum result and s properly elected Parliament. That is far more serious than whichever version of 'leave' (or remain) we end up with.   Cameron made an almighty cock-up and May has been unable to square the circle by legitimate means.    

The properly elected parliament gave the vote to the voter. There was a result. It was acted upon and an act of parliament was passed. All this was done legitimately. The only thing being done by any means whatsoever is trying to stop the result. If we dont leave which I keep saying is what is going to happen we might as well close parliament down whilst learning german as a first language.

26 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I agree. Willy waving (or the female equivalent). My car already has a unique registration mark, so why would I want to pay for another?

If I were genuinely stinking rich I wouldn't be wanting to broadcast the fact to the world at large, though.

And there was me thinking all the time that the true purpose of a personal plate was to disguise the fact that the Aston Martin being driven was not brand new but was in fact 8 years old!😀

George

6 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

And there was me thinking all the time that the true purpose of a personal plate was to disguise the fact that the Aston Martin being driven was not brand new but was in fact 8 years old!😀

George

I knew a bloke years ago who was a very wealthy man. He bought a new RR every six months because he could. One day a car was passing us as we went for a beer with a " private " silly term, number plate and he asked my opinion of them I said I didnt realy have one, this was when I was in my twenties. I said I thought it was to look good? he straight away said basicaly what you have said they were bought by people who were vain and bothered about what people thought of the car they drove but couldnt afford to keep up with the latest model.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

they were bought by people who were vain and bothered about what people thought of the car they drove but couldnt afford to keep up with the latest model.

With mine on a Jag S-Type that hasn’t been manufactured for 10 years, how does that work?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

With mine on a Jag S-Type that hasn’t been manufactured for 10 years, how does that work?

Ive no idea? Why the hell do you want some number on any car that people can remember and may damage if they take a dislike to you? The number on any car serves zero purpose other than to identify it to the law. Funny ones can be a laugh but other than that!!!!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive no idea? Why the hell do you want some number on any car that people can remember and may damage if they take a dislike to you? The number on any car serves zero purpose other than to identify it to the law. Funny ones can be a laugh but other than that!!!!

Because I like it?  Is that no longer allowed?

Just now, WotEver said:

Because I like it?  Is that no longer allowed?

Of course its allowed. You dont drink lager do you 😎

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Of course its allowed. You dont drink lager do you 😎

Oh no... I’m not scared of real taste ;)

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

There's nothing so controversial as Brexit in Parliament, and of course the whole of the UK. It's not an innocent sticker saying "A dog is not only for Christmas". He has to be seen as being impartial, and he's left himself open to being questioned.

It is not the same I agree but he has done much worse things in his time, some of which make him a very poor speaker and MP in my opinion. In any case, it is incorrect to think he does not have an opinion on a given subject but what is expected is that in conducting himself professionally he does not allow them to direct his judgement.

Edited by churchward

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

I`ve always felt that the revere that cars such as RRs, Porsche, Ferrari etc are held are rather "willy waving" as whilst I can appreciate the aesthetics lets face it its those viewing from outside that enjoy the car when in it they are basically all the same. I would add I`m a classic car enthusiast and have owned many including a 1931 Rolls Royce but with a loyalty to pre 1955 MGs. They are like a traditional canal boat individual characters. It`s my hobby.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

My arthritic ford is worth 450 quid on a good day. It is old and dishevelled, not unlike myself. The personal plate that has been on my last few bangers is now worth many times more than any of the cars it was ever on. Why? 'cause I chuffing like it! Also my wife/best friend bought it for me some years ago on our 25th wedding anniversary (she promised me a new boat with fake rivets, Japanese engine and pram hood for our 50th.) The kids can sell the plate when I croak, so a nice little earner for them, along with the (fake) Rolex . If anybody wishes to damage me or mine, I am not certain that having my initials and year of birth on a reg. plate will encourage them any further. Given my current car,  the plate I would love is SH1T, but it appears it was never issued. 5 TAN does exist but is out of my league.
Perhaps one day I will live the dream, get that Honda C90 in beige, and nail my number plate onto it (not joking.)

Edited by catweasel
  • Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, churchward said:

In any case, it is incorrect to think he does not have an opinion on a given subject but what is expected is that in conducting himself professionally he does not allow them to direct his judgement.

Of course, he has an opinion. The problem is, by him displaying his opinion, ie, Trump and Brexit, he's leaving himself wide open to be criticised, as is the case now. There's bound to be cries of foul play.

To quote William Lenthall, the Speaker during the Civil War (ironically enough on 4 January 1642):

"May it please your Majesty, I have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as the House is pleased to direct me, whose servant I am here" 

8 minutes ago, catweasel said:

My arthritic ford is worth 450 quid on a good day. It is old and dishevelled, not unlike myself. The personal plate that has been on my last few bangers is now worth many times more than any of the cars it was ever on. Why? 'cause I chuffing like it! Also my wife/best friend bought it for me some years ago on our 25th wedding anniversary (she promised me a new boat with fake rivets, Japanese engine and pram hood for our 50th.) The kids can sell the plate when I croak, so a nice little earner for them, along with the (fake) Rolex . If anybody wishes to damage me or mine, I am not certain that having my initials and year of birth on a reg. plate will encourage them any further. Given my current car,  the plate I would love is SH1T, but it appears it was never issued. 5 TAN does exist but is out of my league.
Perhaps one day I will live the dream, get that Honda C90 in beige, and nail my number plate onto it (not joking.)

Yow Stan. My local mates go every year for about ten days to europe on their motorbikes usualy 4/6 of em. Every year they try to coax me to go but I have abstained as my health for biking aint marvelous and they do some camping which I aint never going to do anymore!! Any way I digress. This year they have an extra rule in that the only vehicle allowed is a step thru"" They are going to southern Spain :o They have all bought a selection of Honda nineities etc, and they are all big blokes I would be the smallest at 16 stone. I am a bit up against it though as this year all stopovers will be hotel based. I am running out of excuses but southern Spain on Honda step thru's kinell!!!!!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yow Stan. My local mates go every year for about ten days to europe on their motorbikes usualy 4/6 of em. Every year they try to coax me to go but I have abstained as my health for biking aint marvelous and they do some camping which I aint never going to do anymore!! Any way I digress. This year they have an extra rule in that the only vehicle allowed is a step thru"" They are going to southern Spain :o They have all bought a selection of Honda nineities etc, and they are all big blokes I would be the smallest at 16 stone. I am a bit up against it though as this year all stopovers will be hotel based. I am running out of excuses but southern Spain on Honda step thru's kinell!!!!!

Sounds good to me, Tim :)  Have you seen what they do to C90s for racing etc? They can fair shift! Loads on youtube etc. 
A C90 is about the fastest bike I could handle now :)
I rather like this one:

661db372915c4021ade1e869da4d8b9d.jpg

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Of course, he has an opinion. The problem is, by him displaying his opinion, ie, Trump and Brexit, he's leaving himself wide open to be criticised, as is the case now. There's bound to be cries of foul play.

To quote William Lenthall, the Speaker during the Civil War (ironically enough on 4 January 1642):

"May it please your Majesty, I have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as the House is pleased to direct me, whose servant I am here" 

It is his wife's car. As has been repeatedly noted.

Of course, during the civil war Bercow's  wife would have been his property, and responsibility to discipline, and your comment thus entirely valid from that period. There has been some teasing of brexiteers on this thread for their desire to turn the clock back but possibly not that far? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

It is his wife's car. As has been repeatedly noted.

Of course, during the civil war Bercow's  wife would have been his property, and responsibility to discipline, and your comment thus entirely valid from that period. There has been some teasing of brexiteers on this thread for their desire to turn the clock back but possibly not that far? 

Its not those that voted out that wish to remain in the past. Those that voted out wish to rid themselves of the failing eu model. The future needs change not remaining with the past that is the eu.

• Haha 1