Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DHutch

Brexit 2019

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Absolutely it was, but who knew it would be twisted in such a crass way. 

I assume you didn't mean twisted by the 'leave' campaign, but it's hardly "crass" for Parliament to have that control. Funny how you leavers are prepared to cry "foul" now, whilst continuing to ignore that the referendum campaign was based on lies.  

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

So when it takes her until the 30th of March to get that deal I take it thats ok? Because in negotiations something takes as long as it takes! everybody but Grieve and Bercow know that?

I always thought the Speaker's integrity for being impartial had to be beyond question. Wouldn't be surprised if we have a new Speaker by the end of the week. 

bercow.jpg.467f99d84e6bbb70e883c3b06495e5b1.jpg

bercow1.jpg.dd1edd2a6801171451ef05903687677c.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Would that be the " Remain " Chuka Umunna by any chance 🙄

Is there another one? Is he not entitled to express his opinion? You are in danger of stooping to an ad hominem argument instead of addressing the question.

He (Bercow) confirmed to the Commons that it is his wife's car. Thankfully, the days when a wife was her husband's property and did as he commanded are over.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I always thought the Speaker's integrity for being impartial had to be beyond question. Wouldn't be surprised if we have a new Speaker by the end of the week. 

bercow.jpg.467f99d84e6bbb70e883c3b06495e5b1.jpg

bercow1.jpg.dd1edd2a6801171451ef05903687677c.jpg

Isn't his wife allowed to express her own views? (It's her car).

Apparently.

1 minute ago, carlt said:

I expect they are well aware of that.

That is precisely why they have tried to stop May running down the clock and actually making time for negotiations...such as restarting the clock perhaps and, even better, giving someone else the chance to negotiate.

After 2 years of chaotic and disastrous attempts at negotiations it is time for her to step aside and call a general election so someone else can have a go.

It may come to that and I certainly would prefer a GE to a foolish new referendum or "people's vote" especially if the major contenders can put forward a distinctive plan and vision in their manifestos for Brexit and what happens next.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Apparently.

To quote Margaret Thatcher, "The Gentleman would say that, wouldn't he?"

Edited by Jennifer McM

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Is there another one? Is he not entitled to express his opinion? You are in danger of stooping to an ad hominem argument instead of addressing the question.

Hes not entitled to an opinion re his job. when I was a bobby my opinion on the law was nowt to do with anything, I had to abide by and upohold the law. He is a politician and the referendum was acted upon to leave the eu so he and the others instead of going with their opinion and desperately trying to overthrow it should be finding a way to instigate the leave.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Besides which, the Speaker can hold a personal opinion but still behave impartially in his official capacity.

But he hasn't though has he? His integrity has been sorely questioned today, and he should be above all of that. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

But he hasn't though has he? His integrity has been sorely questioned today, and he should be above all of that. 

I think there are many questionable actions by the speaker Bercow,  I do not see much of an issue with a sticker on his wife's car though.  

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hes not entitled to an opinion re his job. when I was a bobby my opinion on the law was nowt to do with anything, I had to abide by and upohold the law. He is a politician and the referendum was acted upon to leave the eu so he and the others instead of going with their opinion and desperately trying to overthrow it should be finding a way to instigate the leave.

Exactly my point - he is upholding the sovereignty of Parliament regardless of his own views. As Speaker he is above politics. The way he has conducted himself throughout the whole Brexit process has been remarkably even-handed, IMO.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I assume you didn't mean twisted by the 'leave' campaign, but it's hardly "crass" for Parliament to have that control. Funny how you leavers are prepared to cry "foul" now, whilst continuing to ignore that the referendum campaign was based on lies.  

This is not about parliament exercising control, it is about remainer MPs seeking to thwart any meaningful Brexit at any cost. I genuinely believe Brexit won the day in part because the public were fed up with politicians routinely ignoring their views, even so far as holding the public in contempt for holding different views. Now parliament can continue to turn a deaf ear to the public, but there comes a point when parliament ceases to be relevant. The public exercised its decision in a democratic vote. Should parliament decide to ignore that, they should not be surprised if eventually the public decides to do away with parliament. Just because it hasn't happened here before, does not mean it won't in the future.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

He has, it hasn't, and he is.

Unfortunately the most rabid Brexicides cannot accept that. 

Just now, Phil. said:

Now parliament can continue to turn a deaf ear to the public

This parliament was democratically elected after the 2016 referendum.  This parliament also elected its Speaker after the General Election.

1 minute ago, churchward said:

I think there are many questionable actions by the speaker Bercow,  I do not see much of an issue with a sticker on his wife's car though.  

There's nothing so controversial as Brexit in Parliament, and of course the whole of the UK. It's not an innocent sticker saying "A dog is not only for Christmas". He has to be seen as being impartial, and he's left himself open to being questioned.

This parliament was democratically elected after the 2016 referendum.  This parliament also elected its Speaker after the General Election.

Yes it was, and both main parties and 86% of the public vote was for Brexit to be pursued. Now this parliament is attempting to stop it.

Did you hear Parliament barracking him today? His integrity was shot, he was squirming.

Why are you calling people 'rabid Brexicides'? Is that even a word 😄

53 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Apparently.

Shame about the number plate though.

Personalised number plates are a very public example of the victory of disposable income over common sense.

(IMHO, of course)

ETA But, then again, the same could be said about owning a boat.

😀 :boat:  😀

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Victor Vectis said:

Shame about the number plate though.

Personalised number plates are a very public example of the victory of disposable income over common sense.

(IMHO, of course)

In the motor trade they are known as " Vanity plates " absolutely ridiculous arent they.

2 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

And on that I'm sure we can all agree!

I don’t agree... :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Proper Charlie said:

And on that I'm sure we can all agree!

There are forum members with em, bless em. Poor old Martin once a boater now a caravanner sports them on his vehicle.............he is a nice bloke but plates are naff. Ive only ever seen one set on one car that were great as they took the piss out of the stupidty of them whilst fitting the car. It was V12 EGO on a v12 Aston martin.

Neither do I, I have a number of them collected over the years and like to de age a car the best I ever had was CEX 3 sold it for a fortune 😈

41 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Did you hear Parliament barracking him today? His integrity was shot, he was squirming.

Why are you calling people 'rabid Brexicides'? Is that even a word 😄

Sorted it Jennifer 😈

47 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Fortunately the majority of the voting public are rabid Brexicides 

Sorted that for you Ian

Edited by peterboat

20 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Neither do I, I have a number of them collected over the years and like to de age a car the best I ever had was CEX 3 sold it for a fortune 😈

MR51NGH was sold by DVLA for quite a lot of money to a doctor :)