Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DHutch

Brexit 2019

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Again you miss the point.  Deliberately?     If you knew you were electing a government where you had no chance to change it in the future, ever, would you want to make absolutely certain it was the will of the people?

Not the best analogy I know but unlike a GE this is a once and forever change.  I believe any reasonable person would under the circumstances want to be absolutely certain nothing had changed in the "will of the people".

I am beginning to realise, (I nearly said slowly beginning to realise but that would be untrue it was clear early on) Brexiteers aren't reasonable people.

We know it would be electing a government that would be extremely difficult to change, if we stay in the EU. In fact, you see how difficult it is. So, rather than having that problem, we thought we'd just sack them.

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

We know it would be electing a government that would be extremely difficult to change, if we stay in the EU. In fact, you see how difficult it is. So, rather than having that problem, we thought we'd just sack them.

TBH, it looks a lot more like running away from rather than sacking.

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

TBH, it looks a lot more like running away from rather than sacking.

We're facing it head on.

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Again you miss the point.  Deliberately?     If you knew you were electing a government where you had no chance to change it in the future, ever, would you want to make absolutely certain it was the will of the people?

Not the best analogy I know but unlike a GE this is a once and forever change.  I believe any reasonable person would under the circumstances want to be absolutely certain nothing had changed in the "will of the people".

I am beginning to realise, (I nearly said slowly beginning to realise but that would be untrue it was clear early on) Brexiteers aren't reasonable people.

You are right about this being a once in a lifetime opportunity, the establishment made a mistake giving us a public vote about leaving the eu and you can be sure that if we don't leave, we will never be given that option again. Indeed the eu see referendums as a threat to their very existence, which is one reason why they want to outlaw them.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

I suggest you read it again.  Main bullet point number four clearly states that the £67bn deficit is AFTER our surplus in services has been deducted.  A trade deficit of £95bn is netted down to a £67bn overall loss.

George

That doesn't affect my point about the numbers of people employed in services -- but you seem happy to throw their jobs away as well as those of people who work importing the stuff we want from the EU.

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

You should read the link before posting here is the first two lines 😈 During the so-called period of Yugoslavian disintegration, the European Union, still called the European Community, was composed of twelve member states

I have read the link -- whether it was the EU or the EC whilst Yugoslavia was falling apart, they were not in charge of the forces, which was what you wrote. 

Neither NATO nor UNPROFOR was the EC/EU.

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That doesn't affect my point about the numbers of people employed in services -- but you seem happy to throw their jobs away as well as those of people who work importing the stuff we want from the EU.

I have read the link -- whether it was the EU or the EC whilst Yugoslavia was falling apart, they were not in charge of the forces, which was what you wrote. 

There you go again, confusing Leavers by propagating facts.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Fair enough.  Remainers believe it is fair that we PAY the EU to maintain a £67bn trade deficit with them.

I can't, and have no desire to, argue against such a mindset.

George

32 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Fair enough.  Remainers believe it is fair that we PAY the EU to maintain a £67bn trade deficit with them.

I can't, and have no desire to, argue against such a mindset.

George

Of course, that completely ignores the trade we do with third-party countries by virtue of being members of one of the most powerful trading blocs in the world. But you wouldn't want to know about that because it's part of the 'big picture' instead of .fitting neatly into a Little England mindset.  

14 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

Had 'Leave' lost after 23rd June 2016, I'd have sworn (a lot) and got on with it. But I'd have accepted the result.

I find it deeply ironic that the only people who are pushing for another referendum are those who do not accept

the democratic result of one.

How ironic is it that after a campaign full of lies, deceit, half-truths and empty promises the leavers only managed a very narrow margin of victory? 

Could I just remind you that after more than 30 months we still don't know what 'leaving' looks like, except that we do know it is nothing like what was promised.

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Of course, that completely ignores the trade we do with third-party countries by virtue of being members of one of the most powerful trading blocs in the world. But you wouldn't want to know about that because it's part of the 'big picture' instead of .fitting neatly into a Little England mindset.  

How ironic is it that after a campaign full of lies, deceit, half-truths and empty promises the leavers only managed a very narrow margin of victory? 

Or read it the other way we gained a narrow victory after the remainers project fear was roundly rejected as the lies of the desperate snout troughers

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Different name same organisation they made a right mess of the job which is why they are unfit to rule this country and others! Heres a bit of it confirming that

“the lack of a unified European policy toward Yugoslavia was sending mixed signals to the different political forces in the country, exacerbating the crisis”

Consequently, the statement is clear and obvious: the EU failed, with inoperative boycotts, slack warnings, and, above all, a completely disorganized and inefficient diplomacy

Edited by peterboat

12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Could I just remind you that after more than 30 months we still don't know what 'leaving' looks like, except that we do know it is nothing like what was promised.

Your perception of what was promised.

I was 'promised' leave meant leave, no talk of deals, backstops or customs union, just, leave.

I'm hoping I will get what was promised.

The remainers song :

I know I never loved this way before
And no one else has loved me more
With you, I've laughed and cried
I have lived and died
What I wouldn't do just to be with you
I know I must forget you to go on
I can't hold back my tears too long
Though life won't be the same
I've got to take the blame
And find the strength I need to let you go
Just walk away, just say goodbye
Don't turn around now, you may see me cry
I mustn't fall apart or show my broken heart
Or the love I feel for you
So walk away and close the door
And let my life be as it was before
And I'll never, never know
Just how I let you go
But there's nothing left to say
Just walk away
There'll never be a moment I'll regret
I've loved you since the day we met
For all the love you gave
And all the love we made
I know I've got to find the strength to say
Just walk away, just say goodbye
Don't turn around now, you may see me cry
I mustn't fall apart or show my broken heart
Or the love I feel for you
So walk away and close the door
And let my life be as it was before
And I'll never never know
Just how I let you go
But there's nothing left to say
Just walk away
(Celine Dion)
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

I find it deeply ironic that the only people who are pushing for another referendum are those who do not accept

the democratic result of one.

I find it deeply ironic that the only people unprepared to accept that in a democracy people are prepared to change their minds are those who are so convinced Brexit is such a good thing and the second referendum would give the same result.

George Soros getting rather worried :) :  

EU will dissolve like Soviet Union unless Europeans ‘wake up’, George Soros warns

The outspoken opponent of Brexit suggested that it wasn’t too late for the UK to hold another referendum, “or, even better, for revoking Britain’s Article 50 notification” – advocacy which appears to clash with Soros’ self-declared affinity for democracy. In the UK, the billionaire has been sharply criticized for forking over £800,000 (US$1,062,000) to pro-EU campaigns, including £400,000 to Best for Britain, a campaign group that has been at the forefront of anti-Brexit activism.

https://www.rt.com/news/451274-soros-soviet-union-eu-oped/

5 hours ago, Jerra said:

Isn't it strange how it is always the brexit side who use sneering and attempts at being derogatory e.g. snowflake, squeak squeak, sheep etc a reflection on them and their attitude to others.  I get me m ore convinced I don't want to be ruled by anyone who supported Brexit because of this simple arrogance.

26 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

But you wouldn't want to know about that because it's part of the 'big picture' instead of .fitting neatly into a Little England mindset. 

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I find it deeply ironic that the only people unprepared to accept that in a democracy people are prepared to change their minds are those who are so convinced Brexit is such a good thing and the second referendum would give the same result.

I still find it astounding that remainers  want their own government to be subserviant to a clubs rule book so I suppose we are both disappointed somewhat.

1 minute ago, Paladine said:

:rolleyes:

?

If you think what I think you mean go back through several pages of the thread and see which side is most derogatory.

Far from being derogatory Little Englander seems to be a description of fact.

Noun a person who opposes an international role or policy for England (or, in practice, for Britain).

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

We don't know if Brexit is going to be a good thing or not as we haven't left yet. But we'll never know if your mob have their way.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I still find it astounding that remainers  want their own government to be subserviant to a clubs rule book so I suppose we are both disappointed somewhat.

I find the words you use to avoid saying EU rather amusing.   Club, Empire and so on why not bite the bullet and type EU - so much easier.

Subservient isn't perhaps the correct word either as it means to obey unquestioningly.  I am sure our MEPs question things before they vote.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

?

If you think what I think you mean go back through several pages of the thread and see which side is most derogatory.

Far from being derogatory Little Englander seems to be a description of fact.

Noun a person who opposes an international role or policy for England (or, in practice, for Britain).

We can all find drfinitions to suit our argument:

"The term is sometimes used as a derogatory term for English nationalists or English people who are perceived as xenophobic or overly nationalistic and are accused of being "ignorant" and "boorish".

I see the discussion has now moved on to 'our derogatory terms aren't as bad as your derogatory terms.'

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I find the words you use to avoid saying EU rather amusing.   Club, Empire and so on why not bite the bullet and type EU - so much easier.

Subservient isn't perhaps the correct word either as it means to obey unquestioningly.  I am sure our MEPs question things before they vote.

Picking and choosing your definitions again. It also means "less important; subordinate".

Just now, Joe the plumber said:

We don't know if Brexit iturns out to be a bad things going to be a good thing or not as we haven't left yet. But we'll never know if your mob have their way.

And we will be stuck with it if the Brexiteers get their way and it turns out to be a bad thing.   Which is why I fell democracy is best served by making sure that it is still the will of the ;people.

If it was OK for the Tories to ask if the country had changed their minds about them running the country by having a GE after 2 years then surely after nearly 2.75 years it is OK to ask the people if it is still what they want.

Just now, Paladine said:

Picking and choosing your definitions again. It also means "less important; subordinate".

Not choosing merely quoting from my dictionary.