Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DHutch

Brexit 2019

Featured Posts

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:19, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think I might detect a small measure of back-pedalling here. What you said was,".... You want a free trade deal ?  We'll buy your stuff at the price we negotiate with the seller, you'll buy our stuff at the price you negotiate with the seller. We won't impose any compulsion on you to buy a certain volume, you won't impose any compulsion on us to buy a certain volume, we won't charge each other any import duties...." so under the terms you suggest, why would we refuse a free trade deal with China? (and all of their dumped steel). I don't see any proposal to address 'dumping' anywhere in your proposal. We would impose tariffs on their dumped steel but that would then go against everything you've suggested,"....you'll buy our stuff at the price you negotiate with the seller. We won't impose any compulsion on you to buy a certain volume, you won't impose any compulsion on us to buy a certain volume, we won't charge each other any import duties.."  This is where simplistic answer to more complex questions falls down. You sign a free trade deal with a country (China for example) who can massively undercut the price that your own producers can make the product, put them out of business and they are then free to charge what they like. Strategically, is that a good move for the country?

If the government feel its good to have a free trade deal with China (or any one that wants to dump raw materials) then they can combat such strategic dumping by subsidising our domestic producers in a similar way to the way the other country is likely to be doing to be able to afford to dump their product.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am dissatisfied with my MP but I doubt they would do anything he is a leave supporter toes the party line in everything.

How did your area vote?

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

How did your area vote?

Leave, however it isn't the result of the referendum which makes me want rid of him.   It is the times he admits to having had hundreds of people at surgeries and hundreds of emails/letters and still votes as the party says rather than what the constituency clearly wants.

However in this area you could put a blind 3 legged deaf dog up with a blue rosette and it would get in.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Leave, however it isn't the result of the referendum which makes me want rid of him.   It is the times he admits to having had hundreds of people at surgeries and hundreds of emails/letters and still votes as the party says rather than what the constituency clearly wants.

So let me get this right...

The majority of the voters in your constituency voted to leave. 

Your MP is complying with the result of that vote as well as an act of parliament by supporting leave. 

Hundreds of remainers are pestering him with pleas to ignore the constitutional vote and vote against leave just as the same bad losers have been doing across the country. 

And you think he’s wrong?

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

All this talk about what a 'leave' MP should do in a 'remain' constituency is giving far too much emphasis to the whole Brexit fiasco. There are many more pressing issues (eg the NHS, social care, education, social security, defence, transport, environment, justice...) that will all still be there regardless of the UK's EU membership, as well as accounting for nearly 99% of government spending.

Those are the issues up for discussion when an MP seeks election. 

Of course, I might be biased -- my female MP is a 'remainer' who represents a remain-voting constituency.

47 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You are looking at things far too simplistically.   I only used Olive Oil as an example of a foreign product we can't grow/produce in the UK.   Despite what some think if we wish to keep any semblance of our modern life style and not go back in time to the 50s or before we will be bringing things from abroad.   With or without problems caused by the current situation.

Being my pedantic self surely ticked boxes aren't counted I thought they only counted ones with a cross.

Ticked boxes count https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/198759/EU-Ref-Doubtful-ballot-paper-booklet.pdf

56 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Your MP is complying with the result of that vote as well as an act of parliament by supporting leave. 

Hundreds of remainers are pestering him with pleas to ignore the constitutional vote and vote against leave just as the same bad losers have been doing across the country. 

How do you know he's being pestered by remainers? There are many, many people who vote Leave, who are now realising they may have made the wrong choice. There are many, many people - Leavers as well as Remainers - who think the electorate should now have the right to say whether May's deal (whatever that ends up as) is what they want.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

How do you know he's being pestered by remainers? There are many, many people who vote Leave, who are now realising they may have made the wrong choice. ……...

Would that not then make them 'remainers' ?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would that not then make them 'remainers' ?

No, it would make them exbrexiters.

They may still want to leave, but aren't happy with the deal that their MPs are being asked to vote on.

9 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

How do you know he's being pestered by remainers?

How do you know he isn’t?

This could go on and on... ;)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

There are many, many people who vote Leave, who are now realising they may have made the wrong choice.

Are there?  Oh, I must have missed the referendum that demonstrated that. 

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

No, it would make them exbrexiters.

They may still want to leave, but aren't happy with the deal that their MPs are being asked to vote on.

And if they changed their minds again would they be reborn Brexiteers? :cheers:

I'm really bored with the whole thing again .... the sooner its over the better

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

However in this area you could put a blind 3 legged deaf dog up with a blue rosette and it would get in.

Sorry Jerra you are in a leave area I am sure he has had as many emails from leavers as remainers so he carries out the referendum anything else isnt fair or democratic

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

No let us try to get this right.   You seem to have ignored my statement that it wasn't about Brexit.   I know in Brexiteers minds everything is about Brexit and it is the most important thing in the universe but not for everyone.

Now go back and re-read what I actually wrote and not what you would have liked me to write.

2 hours ago, Paladine said:

Thanks for the info last time I bothered to read the print other than names the ballot paper said only crosses counted.

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Sorry Jerra you are in a leave area I am sure he has had as many emails from leavers as remainers so he carries out the referendum anything else isnt fair or democratic

Another one who reads what he thinks is there not what is actually written.   You seem to have ignored the statement this wasn't about the referendum.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

All this talk about what a 'leave' MP should do in a 'remain' constituency is giving far too much emphasis to the whole Brexit fiasco. There are many more pressing issues (eg the NHS, social care, education, social security, defence, transport, environment, justice...) that will all still be there regardless of the UK's EU membership, as well as accounting for nearly 99% of government spending.

Those are the issues up for discussion when an MP seeks election. 

Of course, I might be biased -- my female MP is a 'remainer' who represents a remain-voting constituency.

That is exactly why I said further up the thread I wanted rid of my MP - he doesn't represent his constituency he merely votes as he thinks will improve his career prospects.

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You seem to have ignored my statement that it wasn't about Brexit.

You didn’t say that. You wrote “it isn't the result of the referendum which makes me want rid of him.”

Fine, so the result isn’t what bothers you, it’s his actions since then. If that’s not what you meant then I do wish you’d be somewhat clearer in your posts about what you DO mean :)

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

To be fair Peter you have to understand that remainers are under the influence of a different type of democracy from the type you and I might recognise. The democracy of the EU works on the basis that everything it does is right, regardless. It doesn't matter that there's growing unrest around Europe, growing opposition to the organisation's headlong rush into ever closer union. The Union has stated that it's a peace project and that since its inception there's been peace in Europe (apart from the attrocities in the Balkans, but let's conveniently forget that), so that's good. The Union has stated that it's 'progressive' (whatever that means), so that's good. The Union allows individuals from member states to vote for MEP's , that's good, highly democratic, but conveniently ignores the fact that other sectors of the organisation are run by unelected beaurocrats. 

So when discussing democracy with a remainer, it's worth noting that you're quite possibly talking at crossed purposes.        

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

You didn’t say that. You wrote “it isn't the result of the referendum which makes me want rid of him.”

Fine, so the result isn’t what bothers you, it’s his actions since then. If that’s not what you meant then I do wish you’d be somewhat clearer in your posts about what you DO mean :)

Which clearly shows it is nothing to do with Brexit!

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

His actions before then mainly.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Which clearly shows it is nothing to do with Brexit!

No, it clearly shows that it’s nothing to do with the result, which was ‘Leave’. That’s what you wrote, so that’s what I and others replied to. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

No, it clearly shows that it’s nothing to do with the result, which was ‘Leave’. That’s what you wrote, so that’s what I and others replied to. 

So if it has nothing to do with the result why did you think it had anything to do with Brexit?  Surely the result of the referendum would be the reason for my wanting rid of him but having pointed out that he on this occasion it hadn't anything to do with the result should IMO have separated the statement from Brexit.

Actually on Brexit he has, I think been with the government while at the start having said he was for remain.   

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

Ditto where I live, except that the rosette is red.

When I have mentioned this before, some leave supporters suggested that I don't have to live where I  live........

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Ditto where I live, except that the rosette is red.

When I have mentioned this before, some leave supporters suggested that I don't have to live where I  live........

But then some people don’t appear to live in the real world.