Boating Buddies

cuthound

Featured Posts

It's really nice to read something positive for a change First time I've heard of Boating Buddies but it sound a really good idea. The more staff at the CRT get a glimpse of the 'real' side of the network the better.

1 minute ago, Clodi said:

It's really nice to read something positive for a change First time I've heard of Boating Buddies but it sound a really good idea. The more staff at the CRT get a glimpse of the 'real' side of the network the better.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/boating-team/boating-buddies

That's rather the point of it!  There are so few boaters signed up that many staff do not get a chance to go on a boat.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/boating-team/boating-buddies

That's rather the point of it!  There are so few boaters signed up that many staff do not get a chance to go on a boat.

Indeed, I first signed up when they first launched it a couple of years ago and heard nothing from CRT. Then I saw the appeal for more boating buddies in a recent weekly update, responded to that and had a reply within a couple of hours.

Looks like it was a grand day out and a first rate chnace to pass your love of the canals to the office staff at CaRT.     Am really glad that they enjoyed the day out (they will soon be hooked and become boaters themselves!!) as well as providing you with a copy of the feedback that they passed up the line!

The Cuthound Clan did good! :-)

BZ

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good for you.  I wish more boaters would too.

A couple of years back at the behest of Richard Parry, AWCC clubs were contacted to encourage the 2000(?) membership to volunteer for Boating Buddies. I can't speak for 100 or so other clubs but in my own three members signed up. Not one of them has been asked to undertake a trip ...

Here is a link to a blog of my first trip -

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/blogs/sarina-young/my-trip-out

Three of the C&RT people on that early trip are no longer with the Trust.

Ian Lane, who went on to become West Midlands Regional manager is still with C&RT but has been sent to Coventry (in joke for those that know Ian).

20 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

On the form it at says "please bare with us" ... it's a bit cold to be doing that in the winter.

Spelling is another thing that C&RT are not very good at.

There is a huge sign (30 yards long) outside the 'historic dry dock' at Newark, explaining the work that was done there - this work included 'corking'. (when drinking wine come under the heading of 'work' ?)

I have informed C&RT, for which they thanked me, and they said it would be changed - however a couple of months later and it still remains unaltered.

Maybe it would be a good idea if the people taking CaRT staff out could also explain points of views other than their own, such as, it may not be all that important for very light boats to slow down when passing moored boats and lock positioning and techniques may be different for different types of boats or different people. 

2 hours ago, rasputin said:

Maybe it would be a good idea if the people taking CaRT staff out could also explain points of views other than their own, such as, it may not be all that important for very light boats to slow down when passing moored boats and lock positioning and techniques may be different for different types of boats or different people. 

I did explain both of the above to our "boating buddies". I specifically mentioned that our current 60 foot boat gets drawn forward in an uphill lock far more strongly than the two 58 foot boats that preceded it.

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I did explain both of the above to our "boating buddies". I specifically mentioned that our current 60 foot boat gets drawn forward in an uphill lock far more strongly than the two 58 foot boats that preceded it.

excellent ?