Chicken Stick (Kindling)

mark99

Featured Posts

That trick is not  new my Grandad used to cut  & bundle kindling to make extra money I'm on my way to being 83years old & can remember him using that trick for kindling cutting around my school starting time later he got a sort of over centre cam device that fixed to the chopping block & clamped the kindling block to cut

It's not trumpeted as new - just very good field practise the sort of stuff that gets forgotton. ;)

After thinking there must be a gadget to do this safely a quick internet search showed it.

Edited by mark99

4 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Good video, nice neat way to keep fingers attached to one’s hand too.

The axe is beautifully sharp as well, which helps a lot. Wonder what he uses to sharpen it?

I use a fine file followed by the oilstone.

I have the same make of hatchet, was a present from work.  Lovely thing, perfectly weighted and very very sharp when new. I’ve had it three years now and still dont feel a need to sharpen it. 

As long as the edge don’t get dinted by hitting anything other than wood, it should sharpen easily with an oil stone.