Boat windows

Featured Posts

Hi my boat is 8 years old and I’ve never liked the gold colour windows,boat builder would not give me chrome,another story ,so I’m changing them to chrome , is it worth having double glazed as I have single at the moment I’m interested in the colour mainly as I have 9 inc port holes and cost a fortune to buy , have you changed from single to double and really noticed difference I’m going with Caldwell’s  thanks 

Hi thanks graham my current windows are almost immaculate condition, however I’ve changed all deck fittings to chrome, so I thought I would do windows, I was wondering if it was worth going from single to double glazed , as double is so much more  cost , stainless would be great , I’ve not seen them available,they would be mega money 

21 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Chrome windows will take a lot of looking after and polishing when they invariably get scratched. I would have thought stainless steel was more practical.

I'd say the opposite is the case. Chrome is FAR harder, tougher and resistant to scratching & surface damage than stainless steel.

Thanks I think all these modern windows are made of aluminium, then powder coated in black or gold , I suspect the chrome is also some kind of coating, I just thought chrome would look better, was wondering has anyone gone from single glazed to double glazed and noticed much difference , also these new windows have what is called a thermal break a compound built in that cuts down on condensation, I assume that’s metal of the window in contact metal of the boat sides , all these extras add up to twice the costs , was wondering was it worth shelling out as it would be about 3 and half grand minimum to purchase, , or probably about 2 grand for single glazed , or a tin of hamerite to paint my old ones , I’m joking on that one . Thanks 

Might be talking about different things. There are the thin aluminium frame windows, both bus and porthole style, that are then anodised, or possibly powder coated with different finishes, "gold/brass", "chrome", or whatever. Mine are black, which has lasted very well with no sign of fading. The other sort are typically portholes made from actual brass castings. These can then be chrome plated, the quality of which varies with the people doing the plating and the amount of preparation they have done, the layers used and their thickness, or how hung over the plater was on the day. I have seen some poor ones about that have discolouration coming through. Can be bought up again with the sort of car metal polish used on old cars with lots of chrome.

I know people with double glazed aluminium frame boat windows. They cut down on noise from the outside world a lot, which is their main advantage, as well as making the boat a little easier to heat. Condensation tends to appear on the frame, instead of the glass. It will occur on whatever is the coldest surface, once the relative humidity inside the boat is enough.

Jen

On 22/11/2018 at 23:57, Snakezilla said:

Hi my boat is 8 years old and I’ve never liked the gold colour windows,boat builder would not give me chrome,another story ,so I’m changing them to chrome , is it worth having double glazed as I have single at the moment I’m interested in the colour mainly as I have 9 inc port holes and cost a fortune to buy , have you changed from single to double and really noticed difference I’m going with Caldwell’s  thanks 

So you are going to replace perfectly good windows just because of the colour!! What a throw away world we live in. Anyway we have heavy aluminium framed qood quality double glazed units on this boat. They cut down on outside noise and we get zero condensation on the glass but plenty on the frames. Would I personaly pay for the price these were, would I nellie. If you take time and advice you should be able to change the appearance of your windows with some form of paint.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well as I understood it, the OP was also taking the chance to upgrade to double glazed. 

Oh yeah. Personaly I wouldnt bother having lived with all my other boats that were single glazed and only this one that is double I reckon its the usual overpriced con.

Hi snakezilla .

Just a heads up 're Caldwells.  We have replaced 3 of our Windows all from Caldwells.  All 3 had problems . Water marks in the glass from the toughening process had the glass replaced although a few marks we had to live with as they wanted the Windows taken back out to replace the glass  . We also had them powder coated and less than a year on we have the coating lifting off in a couple on places on one window.  Again they agreed to fix but leaving us without a window in till it was redone .

For us it wasn't  trouble free and as a result will not use them again .

Cheers Greg 

Edited by Greg & Jax
Added bits

Hi thanks for all your help you all make good valid points . Especially Greg after his experience ‘ I recently took the boat back to metal and re painted it completely. Changing all deck fittings to chrome. I would certainly give my windows portholes away as they are perfect condition apart from I caught them with a grinder has minimal scratches.  A couple of times. I’m now thinking single glaze. Thanks again 

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Might be talking about different things. There are the thin aluminium frame windows, both bus and porthole style, that are then anodised, or possibly powder coated with different finishes, "gold/brass", "chrome", or whatever. Mine are black, which has lasted very well with no sign of fading. The other sort are typically portholes made from actual brass castings. These can then be chrome plated, the quality of which varies with the people doing the plating and the amount of preparation they have done, the layers used and their thickness, or how hung over the plater was on the day. I have seen some poor ones about that have discolouration coming through. Can be bought up again with the sort of car metal polish used on old cars with lots of chrome.

I know people with double glazed aluminium frame boat windows. They cut down on noise from the outside world a lot, which is their main advantage, as well as making the boat a little easier to heat. Condensation tends to appear on the frame, instead of the glass. It will occur on whatever is the coldest surface, once the relative humidity inside the boat is enough.

Jen

Good knowledge/ comments thankyouthank you

Personally I would make do with some sort of Perspex secondary glazing, even cling film apparently works. Saves a lot of expense. I have double glazed glass units in the wheelhouse of my Dutch tug but that is because condensation can be a sod in wheelhouses and I built it myself so therefore cheap (ish) As far as the frames are concerned you can probably etch them with ferric chloride (Check that, I'm not too sure) Its lethaly poisonous and if you put it on brass it actually smokes but it doesn't half etch the surface well, its cheap and is / was available on e bay. Then paint to whatever colour you want.

7 hours ago, Snakezilla said:

was wondering has anyone gone from single glazed to double glazed and noticed much difference , also these new windows have what is called a thermal break a compound built in that cuts down on condensation, I assume that’s metal of the window in contact metal of the boat sides

Not so much contact with the boat sides as a thin aluminium frame section directly connecting the air spaces inside and outside the boat.

Thermally broken frames have a plastic section (invisible on the installed window) between the visible outer and inner aluminium (or whatever) sections. This means that you won't get condensation on the metal frames. Whereas fitting thermally efficient double glazed units to a highly conductive one-piece aluminium frame is a rather pointless exercise. But the added manufacturing complexity will be reflected in the price.

8 hours ago, Snakezilla said:

Great thanks for your help some great advice I have been getting from very knowledgeable boaters thankyou 

39 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Where were you getting that from then - sounds like a good forum we should join?

I tried to join that forum, but their mods wouldn't let me. They didn't say why. Unless...... No, can't be.

Jen?

• Haha 1

Another nay sayer for Caldwells I'm afraid - I have a problem with mine and they are just not interested. I posted ages ago about the issue which is basically that the glass is blocking the drain holes, so the channels fill up and spill over/have to be wiped all the time. The holes for drainage are rough too, so the mopping up cloth always gets caught. I don't know if it would be an issue with how they were fitted or what - Caldwells had no idea and were not at all helpful.

As far as refinishing goes (and I know this isn't something you are considering but people have mentioned it), mine seem to be chromed and lacquered, so the right paint (or in my case, the wrong paint, ie when I've been painting the boat) adheres totally. What about a nice contemporary black finish?

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

Another nay sayer for Caldwells I'm afraid - I have a problem with mine and they are just not interested. I posted ages ago about the issue which is basically that the glass is blocking the drain holes, so the channels fill up and spill over/have to be wiped all the time. The holes for drainage are rough too, so the mopping up cloth always gets caught. I don't know if it would be an issue with how they were fitted or what - Caldwells had no idea and were not at all helpful.

I had this happen on my "no name" windows and solved it by exceptionally carefully putting a small flat screwdriver with rounded sides on the blade through the drain hole from the outside and under the glass. The very, very carefully and gently levered the glass up. This has done it for now but I intend to lift the glazing cord from inside the widow and push a couple of small lengths of similar suitably sized cord between the glass and the bottom of the frame to hold the glass up.

Own risk only - one slip ad the glass may shatter!

Hi I have been looking at Caldwell’s windows on other boat s and I must say I’ve noticed differences comparing with my own example a friend of mine the boat is three years old moored very near me. Her window s look in poor condition maybe they have not been cleaned I don’t know. However my own windows look like immaculate condition I do clean them I’d say 4 or 5 times a year so I have gone off having them the boat next door is also similar again same brand ‘ maybe materials used 8 years ago were better? I’m stuck what to do now 

4 hours ago, Johny London said:

As far as refinishing goes (and I know this isn't something you are considering but people have mentioned it), mine seem to be chromed and lacquered, so the right paint (or in my case, the wrong paint, ie when I've been painting the boat) adheres totally. What about a nice contemporary black finish?

I have been thinking painting them black as I’d be real unhappy if I spent a load of cash then got worse windows ‘ I do know a paint supplier who could possibly recommend an appropriate primer and paint so that it’s sure to stick to the frames ‘ real pleased with all your comments and help . Thanks so much. I will update possibly pictures of what I do especially painting 

17 minutes ago, Snakezilla said:

Thankyou very much tony . I may be going down this road of painting them , I should be able to get a good finish by brush 

Unless you are a coach painter I rather doubt a good finish, acceptable, yes, but good no. there are likely to be to many curves, creases and fixings. I think we were advised to use aerosol spray paint.

• Greenie 1