CANAL CHARITY OPENS UP NAPTON LOCK WORKS TO THE PUBLIC

Ray T

Featured Posts

press release

22 November 2018

CANAL CHARITY OPENS UP NAPTON LOCK WORKS TO THE PUBLIC

Local people are being invited to get a behind the scenes tour as the Canal & River Trust works to rebuild a 200 year-old canal lock.

The Trust, the charity which cares for 2,000 miles of historic waterways across England & Wales, is inviting the local community to find out more about the works to Lock 9 at Napton at a special open day taking place this Sunday.

Over many years one of the lock’s 200 year-old walls has started to lean inwards making the lock narrower than it should be. As part of these works the Trust’s skilled team has carefully taken the wall down so that it can be sympathetically rebuilt to its original dimensions. Once the wall has been rebuilt the Trust will also resurface the towpath running alongside and improve the access from public footpaths in the area, making it more appealing for local people to use in all weathers.

The open day will be an opportunity for those living or working nearby to find out about the heritage of the Oxford Canal, how the Trust cares for it and the ways in which canals and rivers can make a difference to people’s lives. Research proves that being by a canal or river makes people happier, healthier and feeling less stressed when they visit their local waterway.

Visitors will be able to take a tour of the works and see some of the historic fabric of the canal which is normally hidden from view. There will also be opportunity to speak to some of the Trust’s team of skilled and passionate craftsman and other experts. They’ll be on hand to explain about the Trust’s varied work, why the preservation of this vital part of the area’s history is so important, and how the waterways are being re-purposed to yield benefits for people today. 

Charles Baker, senior project manager for the Canal & River Trust, said: “These works are a really good example of the work we do to keep the region’s waterways open and safe for everyone to enjoy. It requires a huge amount of planning and investment as well as a wide range of craftsmanship and expertise but it’s important as our waterways have such a crucial role to play in daily life.

“The open day will be a fascinating opportunity for people to see the lock like they’ve never seen it before with many of it’s historic features on show for the first time in a very long time.

By opening up our work to the public we can show the benefits that our waterways offer while explaining about the scale of the Trust’s work to care for them now.”

The free open day will take place at Napton Lock 9 on the Oxford Canal between 10.30am and 3pm on Sunday 25 November. Parking is available at Folly Inn pub (CV47 8NZ).

To find out more about the Canal & River Trust and how you can support our work, either through volunteering or making a donation go to www.canalrivertrust.org.uk.

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Stephen Hardy, Canal & River Trust

m 07920 077190 e stephen.hardy@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

I do wish that someone in CRT would proof read these press releases, they always seem to have some sort of gaff, I expect they rely on grammar check software rather than their education. 

I am  glad their craftsman is passionate, passion is a good thing.

I am sure I will be happier, healthier and feel less stressed when I  eventually get my narrowboat and visit my local waterway.

Edited by LadyG

Its all part of the need for the CRT to meet the demands of government, proving they take action to generate wellbeing, and visitors, and recruit "friends"

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Edited by LadyG