cancelling apps on a smartphone

jenevers

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Some of them can't be uninstalled. The ones that can.. Long press, select uninstall

That only gets rid of the icons, at least on my Samsung smart phone. You need to go to settings. applications. applicsation manager and from there you can uninstall those apps that can bve uninstalled. As said some cannot be uninstalled, at least not without a huge amount of faffing about like rooting your phone and installing a different ROM etc etc. Quite possibly if your phone is brand new then the apps that are on it will not be uninstallable. Also different phone makes have different ways of doing things. As I said rusty69's suggestion does not work on my phone. I have no idea how to do it on an Apple as I wouldn't have one of those if they gave them away.

38 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Android. On my apple ipad I just long click on the app icon and then click "X".

OK, If the apps came with the phone, rather than  being installed later, you can't "uninstall" them. You have to go to the settings menu then select Apps, select the app you want to get rid of, then press the "disable" button. That will stop the app being available even if it's baked into the system image. If the app has been updated from the one in  the system image, it will give you the option to remove the updated version, which you should do, to get the storage back.

Cheers,

Simon.

49 minutes ago, Clodi said:

If it's a samsung you can get an app that clears all the bloatware away

EERR ok. I have had Samsungs since the year dot and the only way, that I know of, to get rid of all the apps that you don't want is to root the phone and install a custom ROM. Not something that most people would contemplate as it can easily brick the phone. SO tell us what this app is that "clears all the bloatware away" please.

The apps that you can't uninstall can be disabled which stops them affecting the phone too much.

If you're prepared to spend a few quid, as well as antivirus, AVG do a cleaner app that will recommend which apps to hibernate, remove etc.  

Edited by twbm

29 minutes ago, pete.i said:

EERR ok. I have had Samsungs since the year dot and the only way, that I know of, to get rid of all the apps that you don't want is to root the phone and install a custom ROM. Not something that most people would contemplate as it can easily brick the phone. SO tell us what this app is that "clears all the bloatware away" please.

Ive got it on my wifes phone I'll sort it and post later when I gt home

Quite a few of the (cr)apps which came with my Sony phone can't be disabled or deleted.

Another thing that's well worth doing is to have a look at 'Settings - Apps & Notifications - App Permissions' (yours may have a different way of finding it, but you're looking for the app permissions). You can then click on each one and stop them spying on you. If you've never done it, you might be surprised just how many of them are into everything on your phone.

For those annoying apps on my iphone that are hardwired into the O/S I have created a folder called Useless and stuck them all in there.  Granted it's not got rid of them but at least all the c%*p is in one place

On 22/11/2018 at 19:18, Clodi said:

Ive got it on my wifes phone I'll sort it and post later when I gt home

Firstly sorry it's taken me so long to post but Life tends to get in the way of things.

Looking at my wifes Samsung the app is called  'Package Disabler Pro+ for Samsung'  by Policedeveloper. She paid a couple of quid or so, BUT, this was all done by a member of the Geek Squad who then connected the phone to their 'computer' (I imagine this is a PC) and cleaned the bloatware off.

The Geek lady did explain that some removers Root the phone which would invalidate the guarantee but doing it this way does not affect the warranty so all's good.

Hope this is of some help.

33 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Firstly sorry it's taken me so long to post but Life tends to get in the way of things.

Looking at my wifes Samsung the app is called  'Package Disabler Pro+ for Samsung'  by Policedeveloper. She paid a couple of quid or so, BUT, this was all done by a member of the Geek Squad who then connected the phone to their 'computer' (I imagine this is a PC) and cleaned the bloatware off.

The Geek lady did explain that some removers Root the phone which would invalidate the guarantee but doing it this way does not affect the warranty so all's good.

Thanks for that. Rooting the phone is the usual way to go but that can be a nightmare and even brick your phone. I have done a couple of my phones but I wouldn't think of rooting someone else's phone as there is too much to go wrong. If a rooted phone is bricked then yes the guarantee is invalidated but guarantees these are so loose that it's touch and go whether a manufacturer would honour a guarantee anyway.

On 22/11/2018 at 19:59, Joe the plumber said:

you might be surprised just how many of them are into everything on your phone.

Well this is a hobby horse of mine. I'd suggest that ALL apps that are free will be harvesting your data furiously and selling it on as that is the only way for the authors to glean a meagre (or massive) income for their code writing effort.  

I also suspect that quite a few apps one pays trivial sums for for do the same, or the app would cost £100s to get. 

5 hours ago, Clodi said:

I was just going to mention the warrany issue, and warranties are up to two years on some phones too.

If looking for an Android phone that isn't loaded with add on bloatware I would suggest looking for a phone branded as having AndroidOne installed as the OS. This was developed for 'emerging markets' like India but now is quite common in markets such as ours. My current Nokia has it.

It is basically a 'bare bones' system but has all you need. It comes with no native apps. for things like browsing and emailing like Samsung phones do but includes the ones from Google (chrome and gmail).

So rather than working out which apps. you need to remove or disable you simply only install the ones you actually need.