Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

I'm afraid you've lost me now.

The only bannings of which I can think in our recent history were those of a few overseas "spammers" and one person who was found to be two people, if you get my drift.. None of these was related to expressing judgements.

I think you are having a bout of selective memory.

This discussion is going nowhere so I guess we will just have to disagree.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you are having a bout of selective memory.

Perhaps you would refresh the parts of my memory which I have not selected. I am sure that you are not suggesting that I am being dishonest in any way, but an observer could place that interpretation on your comment.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps you would refresh the parts of my memory which I have not selected. I am sure that you are not suggesting that I am being dishonest in any way, but an observer could place that interpretation on your comment.

I would not suggest you are being dishonest, it was before your time as a mod.

Think back to the time of the 'purges' and the, almost unanimous horror at many mod decisions (one in particular who left a short time later). Was it these following 'expressions' that led to the introduction of the rule that mod decisions will not be discussed ?

I don't know.

On 26/11/2018 at 12:53, LadyG said:

I used to work a croft [Gigha] in school summer holidays, I suppose it was hard work. First we had to clear the well of hemlock, no mains water obviously.

Painted the rowing boat ready for mackerel fishing. We had a crate of lobster which had to get to the airport, a 4.00 am start, it started on a wheelbarrow.

We were a long way from "the shop", so we made our own salt for preserving. Potatoes were wild in a garden/field. We never managed to catch the cow, so no milk. I think it was very memorable. We went to the dance on a Saturday night, the guys wore their best welly boots. For the dancin', they bought one whisky for the glass, and topped up with quarter bottles from their jacket pockets. Hughie Wotherspoon now lies in the cemetery, he was the Postie, it was all a long time ago.

Back on track .............. we harvested carageen for pudding, we used mussels for bait, no question of eating shellfish! We got fresh milk and oatmeal from nearest farm [five miles], in exchange for mackerel and cod.

Did they ask you to Model for the Figure head on the Vital Spark?

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would not suggest you are being dishonest, it was before your time as a mod.

Think back to the time of the 'purges' and the, almost unanimous horror at many mod decisions (one in particular who left a short time later). Was it these following 'expressions' that led to the introduction of the rule that mod decisions will not be discussed ?

I don't know.

Ah, my apologies - I did say "in our recent history" and should have defined my terms more clearly. By "recent history" I meant, I suppose, "this year".

There were a few moddies whom we never see any more: I remember Good Gurl, who I think still looks in from time to time, and Lady Cassandra, who has disappeared, for instance. I don't know when or why the rule or guideline which you mention was introduced - I think it was, as you suggest, before I joined the moddies.

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, my apologies - I did say "in our recent history" and should have defined my terms more clearly. By "recent history" I meant, I suppose, "this year".

There were a few moddies whom we never see any more: I remember Good Gurl, who I think still looks in from time to time, and Lady Cassandra, who has disappeared, for instance. I don't know when or why the rule or guideline which you mention was introduced - I think it was, as you suggest, before I joined the moddies.

Yes it was shortly before you time, when there was a major crisis ie a battle broke out between the moderating team and nearly everyone else. The change was part of Dan’s strategy at the time which was aligned with “let the daily floggings continue until morale improves”.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not "redefining", rather "assessing according to the circumstances", perhaps. In some circumstances, what was laid down as a rule may be interpreted as a guideline.

But that us mere mortals should have some clarity as to what is dogma to be obeyed, and what is merely guidelines.

• Haha 1

On 22/11/2018 at 10:11, alan_fincher said:

... and who the **** defines "special circumstances?

Iain M Banks 

" Special Circumstances was originally a part of Contact. After the early years of the Idiran-Culture War, while still relatively young, SC was formally divested from Contact and became an independent organization. The split occurred because SC's activities could not be morally justified within Contact. 

Contact was frequently seen as being second best to SC."

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

Is that the famous, and probably the ONLY occurrence where the other site was moderated?

The only time(s) I have known Delta interfere with posts on there is when there is potential for the site to get into hot water. Pro boards once raised an issue about something that a member posted on there and it was taken down. I can't recall who now for sure but i think i remember who it was and what they posted but as I am not 100% certain I'll not say in case I get it wrong.

99.9% of the time 'anything goes' which is why it appeals to some. 

By 'slaugtered' I guess the meaning was he was shot down in flames probably mixed with some personal abuse which is what tends to happen if you get on the wrong side of the hard core on there. If you were on the wrong side of them before you joined you have no chance. It gets very wearing after a while. Even the novelty of being able to respond in kind which I was guilty of wears off after a while.

To his credit Nick was often on the opposite side of the 'group think' and stuck to his guns quite often and probably still does, I just found it wearing hence I walked.

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

If you were on the wrong side of them before you joined you have no chance. It gets very wearing after a while.

Well I was on the wrong side of them when I joined - I joined so I could fight my corner. Which I did, with gusto. And look at me now!

Yup, still on the wrong side of ‘em!

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, MJG said:

The only time(s) I have known Delta interfere with posts on there is when there is potential for the site to get into hot water. Pro boards once raised an issue about something that a member posted on there and it was taken down. I can't recall who now for sure but i think i remember who it was and what they posted but as I am not 100% certain I'll not say in case I get it wrong.

99.9% of the time 'anything goes' which is why it appeals to some. 

By 'slaugtered' I guess the meaning was he was shot down in flames probably mixed with some personal abuse which is what tends to happen if you get on the wrong side of the hard core on there. If you were on the wrong side of them before you joined you have no chance. It gets very wearing after a while. Even the novelty of being able to respond in kind which I was guilty of wears off after a while.

To his credit Nick was often on the opposite side of the 'group think' and stuck to his guns quite often and probably still does, I just found it wearing hence I walked.

Some like to dish it out but can't handle it when they get it back. 

• Greenie 2

It takes a certain level of competence to be a poster on the forum. It takes more to be a mod and operate the rules of the forum.  It takes still more to derive, define, and justify those rules.

It is therefore not fair to expect any mod to do the latter task as some of them do not have what it takes, even though they do the modding reasonably well.

The rules are not perfect.  I suggest that some individuals with the necessary skills be invited (by Dan) to draft a new set for Dan (& the mods) to approve, without public discussion until agreed.  I think Dan knows what he wants but needs help in framing it.   Mayalid is such an individual and there are a few others on the forum with the necessary mindset.  I expect that something similar has been done before but perhaps it was thought that the mods of that time could do it.

That's my pennyworth.

14 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Some like to dish it out but can't handle it when they get it back. 

I generally only dish it out Jim when its lobbed at me first. Which is what I tended to do on there.

Simple really if you don't want a proportionate retaliatory response then don't launch an initial attack. I can handle it, it just gets boring having to do it repeatedly, a bit like having to deal with your constant sniping.

1 hour ago, carlt said:

Iain M Banks 

" Special Circumstances was originally a part of Contact. After the early years of the Idiran-Culture War, while still relatively young, SC was formally divested from Contact and became an independent organization. The split occurred because SC's activities could not be morally justified within Contact. 

Contact was frequently seen as being second best to SC."

D’you know I’ve been tempted to come in with something like that but didn’t get round to it. What your quote doesn’t make clear is that SC are the espionage, dirty tricks and generally spooky bit of the Culture, operating in those circumstances where the usual rules of ethics and morality don’t apply.

This may or may not be relevant to the current discussion ? but it’s good to meet another Culture fan.

3 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

D’you know I’ve been tempted to come in with something like that but didn’t get round to it. What your quote doesn’t make clear is that SC are the espionage, dirty tricks and generally spooky bit of the Culture, operating in those circumstances where the usual rules of ethics and morality don’t apply.

This may or may not be relevant to the current discussion ? but it’s good to meet another Culture fan.

It's also good to see him posting again.

16 minutes ago, MJG said:

I generally only dish it out Jim when its lobbed at me first. Which is what I tended to do on there.

Simple really if you don't want a proportionate retaliatory response then don't launch an initial attack. I can handle it, it just gets boring having to do it repeatedly, a bit like having to deal with your constant sniping.

One of my early posts on here asking something as a newbie was ripped to bits in an un called for manner, by a certain Doghouse. So don't try to come over as a sweet little innocent! It's a common complaint about this place from newbies, you aren't the only guilty party. 

• Greenie 3

Just now, Jim Riley said:

One of my early posts on here asking something as a newbie was ripped to bits in an un called for manner, by a certain Doghouse. So don't try to come over as a sweet little innocent! It's a common complaint about this place from newbies, you aren't the only guilty party. 

Yes I agree that was my 'bad' for doing that back in the day, but I think unlike you possibly I have learned from previous mistakes and I don't believe I have done similar for a very very long time.

Anyway apologies all be it they be belated.

Very few on thunderboat choose to use profanity in posts, but it is entirely possible to do so.

It's only words, and written words at that, so not really an issue.

I am an avid reader, and even classic literature can contain abuse.

However, my earlier post was written around 6am, and when I posted it the text turned a purple colour and the post marked as 'hidden'.

This thread then disappeared from the recently updated list completely!

I had to go to work, and having arrived back home see that the thread and my post are present.

Do posts have to be approved now before publication?

I really don't understand what happened.

Rog

ETA how childish ... I now see that posts have to be approved.

I'm off back to where I can speak freely.

Edited by dogless

21 minutes ago, dogless said:

I suspect it's gonna be only your posts have to be approved., not all posts in this thread.

Posting this to see. 

Yep, I can post ok. You must have breached the rule 'don't be a dick'!

:giggles:

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit.

32 minutes ago, dogless said:

Very few on thunderboat choose to use profanity in posts, but it is entirely possible to do so.

It's only words, and written words at that, so not really an issue.

I am an avid reader, and even classic literature can contain abuse.

However, my earlier post was written around 6am, and when I posted it the text turned a purple colour and the post marked as 'hidden'.

This thread then disappeared from the recently updated list completely!

I had to go to work, and having arrived back home see that the thread and my post are present.

Do posts have to be approved now before publication?

I really don't understand what happened.

Rog

I'm off back to where I can speak freely.

Have a look below your avatar and see how many warning points you have.

That could be the answer.

Edit : Strange - I'm also on 'post must be approved and is hidden' message.

(I have no warnings that I am aware of)

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have a look below your avatar and see how many warning points you have.

That could be the answer.

Edit : Strange - I'm also on 'post must be approved and is hidden' message.

(I have no warnings that I am aware of)

Oh, except your post shows up. Quick approval!