Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

MTB's post.PNG

fair enough - I am a natural advocate for the devil so I was just trying to dissipate some tension ? but just to dig my self a deeper hole MrSmelly is referring to two people in that post. But I'll stop now cos it's irrelevant.

I used to work a croft [Gigha] in school summer holidays, I suppose it was hard work. First we had to clear the well of hemlock, no mains water obviously.

Painted the rowing boat ready for mackerel fishing. We had a crate of lobster which had to get to the airport, a 4.00 am start, it started on a wheelbarrow.

We were a long way from "the shop", so we made our own salt for preserving. Potatoes were wild in a garden/field. We never managed to catch the cow, so no milk. I think it was very memorable. We went to the dance on a Saturday night, the guys wore their best welly boots. For the dancin', they bought one whisky for the glass, and topped up with quarter bottles from their jacket pockets. Hughie Wotherspoon now lies in the cemetery, he was the Postie, it was all a long time ago.

Back on track .............. we harvested carageen for pudding, we used mussels for bait, no question of eating shellfish! We got fresh milk and oatmeal from nearest farm [five miles], in exchange for mackerel and cod.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Señor Chris said:

Reasonable enough on a forum run by unpaid volunteers though.

I disagree. 

Reasonable enough for the maxim 'his train set, his rules' to apply when the proprietor is funding the project out of his own pocket. 

But as soon as Dan started asking the members to pay the running costs of the forum, I think the contributing members gained the right to have their views on how it is run taken into account.

And as we didn't get the right, I stopped contributing. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

We never managed to catch the cow, so no milk.

????

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

We went to the dance on a Saturday night, the guys wore their best welly boots.

Never mind this selling the house malarkey - write a book (boat bought in no time)?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. 

Reasonable enough for the maxim 'his train set, his rules' to apply when the proprietor is funding the project out of his own pocket. 

But as soon as Dan started asking the members to pay the running costs of the forum, I think the contributing members gained the right to have their views on how it is run taken into account.

And what about those members who don't contribute financially but contribute their expertise? - personally I think they contribute as much (if not more actually) as those who contribute monetarily, any body can chuck in a few quid now and then.

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

fair enough - I am a natural advocate for the devil so I was just trying to dissipate some tension ? but just to dig my self a deeper hole MrSmelly is referring to two people in that post. But I'll stop now cos it's irrelevant.

Exactly it was dead and buried and forgotten.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

And what about those members who don't contribute financially but contribute their expertise? - personally I think they contribute as much (if not more actually) as those who contribute monetarily, any body can chuck in a few quid now and then.

oh?

1 minute ago, MJG said:

I think that is different. Dan is not actively canvassing people to answer questions, but he IS asking us all for money. 

I used to pay £10 a month but stopped that when the last modding fiasco unfolded and nothing has happened yet to persuade me to re-start it. Quite the reverse in fact. 

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I used to work a croft [Gigha] in school summer holidays, I suppose it was hard work. First we had to clear the well of hemlock, no mains water obviously.

Painted the rowing boat ready for mackerel fishing. We had a crate of lobster which had to get to the airport, a 4.00 am start, it started on a wheelbarrow.

We were a long way from "the shop", so we made our own salt for preserving. Potatoes were wild in a garden/field. We never managed to catch the cow, so no milk. I think it was very memorable. We went to the dance on a Saturday night, the guys wore their best welly boots. For the dancin', they bought one whisky for the glass, and topped up with quarter bottles from their jacket pockets. Hughie Wotherspoon now lies in the cemetery, he was the Postie, it was all a long time ago.

Back on track .............. we harvested carageen for pudding, we used mussels for bait, no question of eating shellfish! We got fresh milk and oatmeal from nearest farm [five miles], in exchange for mackerel and cod.

Respect, virtual greenie  

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. 

.....Disagree, the deal is you can't "buy" influence like this. 

Its fairly simple, the site owner can set the rules as they wish - you're right on the "I am (ultimately) financially responsible, so I set the rules" bit.

But it goes hand in hand, that while donations are freely received, they must be unconditionally; and that given the fact they're donations, that there is no expectation attached that you'll receive any at all.

Its up to the site owner if he wants to try and tweak/reform the site to gain broader appeal, or to make it more attractive for donators, so that its self-funding. But I think he's happy that an outcome of the current approach MIGHT BE that he ends up paying 100% of the bills.

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ah, was this on the island of Gigha or is that what your croft was named? My mother was born on the island and I have very fond memories of going there as a child and more recently for a family get together. My grandfather was the ferry man and rowed back and forward between Tayinloan and Gigha. 

haggis

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think that is different. Dan is not actively canvassing people to answer questions, but he IS asking us all for money. 

I used to pay £10 a month but stopped that when the last modding fiasco unfolded and nothing has happened yet to persuade me to re-start it. Quite the reverse in fact. 

Well no not specifically he isn't but none the less it is one of the main reasons the forum exists.

But yes I too stopped financial contributions some considerable time ago and also like you given recent events cannot see me re-starting any time soon either. 

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

.....Disagree, the deal is you can't "buy" influence like this. 

Its fairly simple, the site owner can set the rules as they wish - you're right on the "I am (ultimately) financially responsible, so I set the rules" bit.

But it goes hand in hand, that while donations are freely received, they must be unconditionally; and that given the fact they're donations, that there is no expectation attached that you'll receive any at all.

Its up to the site owner if he wants to try and tweak/reform the site to gain broader appeal, or to make it more attractive for donators, so that its self-funding. But I think he's happy that an outcome of the current approach MIGHT BE that he ends up paying 100% of the bills.

Yes, good analysis.

But the fact remains, while Dan ignores the views of the views of the membership, I don't feel inclined to stump up any cash.

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Edited 12 minutes ago by LadyG

Ah the ETA makes that make sense now ? interesting and funny though it was I did wonder why. 

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Spot on, or that if he is not then the forum collapses.

43 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, was this on the island of Gigha or is that what your croft was named? My mother was born on the island and I have very fond memories of going there as a child and more recently for a family get together. My grandfather was the ferry man and rowed back and forward between Tayinloan and Gigha. 

haggis

Ardailly, the Mill.

Now it seems one can buy a croft, kinda goes against he crofting ethos..

At that time the ferry was a clinker built boat but had an engine.

McSporran [The Shop] had about thirteen jobs and was featured on STV.

James Horlicks [owner of the island lived in Ardmore House. There were twelve dairy farms and one cheese making dairy.

Edited by LadyG

It wouldn't collapse - unless Dan wanted to bury it - he could simply hand everything over to someone else. Don't forget, it doesn't actually cost £1000 or £1500 or whatever he's paying, it could be done much more cost effectively and the actual cost to bear would be the domain fee (about £10/year) and probably one payment period's trailing payment for the existing hosting stuff.

Whether its time for Dan to pass it on, is up to Dan.

It was a clinker built boat with oars which was used by my grandfather and I believe my mother also sometimes was the ferryman. When I visited the island as achild, it was lying upturned just up from the ferry. I remember McSporran and his many jobs! Captain Horlicks was a great owner of Gigha as he put  a lot of money into it and invested in the farms and the creamery etc. and the whole island was well maintained. sadly when he died, the new owner did not share his interest in the island and things went downhill till the island was eventually bought by the residents. I was so disappointed the last time I was there to find so much of the island overgrown with bracken and briars and walks I had enjoyed as a child were no longer possible. Still a beautiful place though.

haggis

Just now, haggis said:

It was a clinker built boat with oars which was used by my grandfather and I believe my mother also sometimes was the ferryman. When I visited the island as achild, it was lying upturned just up from the ferry. I remember McSporran and his many jobs! Captain Horlicks was a great owner of Gigha as he put  a lot of money into it and invested in the farms and the creamery etc. and the whole island was well maintained. sadly when he died, the new owner did not share his interest in the island and things went downhill till the island was eventually bought by the residents. I was so disappointed the last time I was there to find so much of the island overgrown with bracken and briars and walks I had enjoyed as a child were no longer possible. Still a beautiful place though.

haggis

I won't go back, then, when I worked at SMMB [199something], I got some SOS type phone calls from dairy farmers, but they were not "indigenous" islanders. It's  the norm, there are not enough horlicks drinkers, and lets face it he was a "hobby farmer" and eventually, he passed away.

All this fuss and bother over nowt! Fora can be free, unmoderated and successful. Adults don't need moderation and can control themselves so as not to overstep the boundaries of the site host. Posters who just wish to cause trouble don't stay forever, they hitch up their caravans and move on to cause bother elsewhere. 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

All this fuss and bother over nowt! Fora can be free, unmoderated and successful. Adults don't need moderation and can control themselves so as not to overstep the boundaries of the site host. Posters who just wish to cause trouble don't stay forever, they hitch up their caravans and move on to cause bother elsewhere. 

Ho ho ho.......

(Xmas themed titter)

Edited by MJG